• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cagaster of an Insect Cage

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I like the summary on the sidebar "Get past the vsuals and the story is mostly a standard post-apoc... " ect ect. because really that's what it boils down to. It's average at best, and combined with the visuals that equates to bad, for me. I really can't recommend this to anyone, even at a time when people have a lot more free time - there's still so much better anime to spend time on.
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for making this formal review of another Netflix Anime Original that needed some review coverage, ANN. Now, this series came out in february, and now, almost 4 months later, it´s getting a review on ANN, but when it was released, there were so few reviews on other websites. I think 2 or 3, but these reviews didn´t go into much details about what makes the series good or bad. What makes this even worse is that most of the sites don´t have much to do with anime, and the reviewers sound too casual. This is the situation that happens with many Netflix Anime Originals (I´m gonna use NAOs for short), where deeper reviews get released 2 weeks after the anime series are released on Netflix. And on this website, there are so many NAOs that don´t have formal review coverage: Kengan Ashura, Hero Mask, Drifting Dragons, Dino Girl Gauko (a kids series by a Shin-chan staffer, with one episode being sent to last year´s Annecy Festival, yet no website has given it a review), Baki 2018´s second half of episodes, and many more. I also say this because the "This Week In Anime" columns are not formal reviews, and the opinions about Netflix Originals on that column end up being biased (not that I hate the column, because sometimes it´s helpful).

With that in mind, I propose some ideas for covering some other NAOs onthis website:
-It would be good if you could cover the next Netflix originals the same way that you did with Ghost In The Shell: SAC 2045, when you posted a review of the series 4 days after its release. That way, the NAOs release has enough presence in the anime community that visits the site, to decide if the series is worth watching or not, and they might share the reviews with other people.
-Or if you want, you can dedicate a column at the end of a month to showcase the Netflix Anime Originals in-depth, and tell the site visitors if they´re worth watching or not.

In either way, it will never feel like the Netflix Anime Originals are being disregarded or forgotten in the sea of weekly anime releases. My point is, given that this is an anime website, you should cover the NAOs as early as possible so that many anime fans don´t jump into these series blindly.
Gospel X

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I watched this as a Netflix Party with some friends and ended up stopping about halfway. Enduring the poor visuals and the bland story were bad enough, but then the sexual assault happened. What's worse is that the story goes out of its way to present it as a sympathetic situation. Feel sorry for him because he's broken and he learned this was a way to feel better - followed by a joke about consent. If that episode hadn't happened, I probably would have made it to the more interesting second half and maybe finished the show.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:
And on this website, there are so many NAOs that don´t have formal review coverage: Kengan Ashura, Hero Mask, Drifting Dragons, Dino Girl Gauko (a kids series by a Shin-chan staffer, with one episode being sent to last year´s Annecy Festival, yet no website has given it a review), Baki 2018´s second half of episodes, and many more.

Drifting Dragons will have a full review at some point, maybe as soon as next week; I have one written up for it, and your post here made me realize that I somehow forgot to actually submit it. You should also see an increase in Netflix title coverage in the future, unless whoever steps in/up to replace Zac radically changes current points of emphasis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moontei

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
3DCG anime hasn't particularly bothered me so long as the story is good. I loved Ajin, Knights of Sidonia, and BEASTARS and the action scenes were always fantastic (Ajin had some killer sequences).

That said, I only got through 3 episodes of Cagaster. The story was just really meh with none of the characters really caught on for me. It wasn't bad or anything, just pretty bland imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1