• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: How Much Longer Is It Taking to Make Anime Under COVID-19? Mantan-Web Investigates

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
necessitating a shift to new approaches to production.

hopefully this includes making the anime well ahead of time like only a few studios have done >.<
wjbraden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that there are studios out there that still haven't transitioned to digital yet. Japan's resistance to updating themselves technologically is really rearing its ugly head here and shows that they need to do something about it. I wouldn't be surprised if many businesses go under for this, sadly.

Last edited by wjbraden on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"There are many studios that are still transitioning into digital."

As much as I love hand-drawn animation, it's frankly astounding that this is still the case in the year 2020.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The difficulty experienced by various studios should serve as a wake-up call to the archaic nature long-standing practices in the industry are. It will be sad that some studios will not make it and people will lose jobs, but hopefully this will hit home for the management/leadership to finally make some structural changes, even if the changes will likely to be less than adequate. After all, if it doesn't hit the revenue, it is going to be hard to change stuff regardless.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
necessitating a shift to new approaches to production.

hopefully this includes making the anime well ahead of time like only a few studios have done >.<

I kind of doubt it, since the common compressed production timeline isn't generally a decision made by the studios, but rather an effect from how the entire industry is s
operates. They simply aren't given the time needed to make content well before it is due to air, and changing that would cost money - something the industry is already notoriously short on.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Quote:
"There are many studios that are still transitioning into digital."

As much as I love hand-drawn animation, it's frankly astounding that this is still the case in the year 2020.

I wish I could find the article, but I remember reading about three or four years ago that fax machines were still in common use in Japan for ordering delivery or takeout, and that as some restaurants tried to transition to 100% online ordering they received so much pushback from their customers they went back to accepting faxes.

It really is ironic that a nation which is famous for high technology also clings to its older technology so much. I don't think that's a bad thing in all cases though. Many times I think the combination of high tech innovation and traditional artisan skills can reach greater heights than either can alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1