• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Going On in Dorohedoro?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
According to TheAnimeHero, the correct term for these ladies is WoManly.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Kikurage (En's pet) is a cat.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Dorohedoro is just so awesome. It's doubtless one of my favorite manga. I admit, although with great shame, that near its end U had lost track of a lot of the story, but it was just so weird and cool that I didn't need to know what the Hell was going on. It's one of the most remarkable successes in having feel so strongly, weirdly distinct that it is sufficiently propulsive by that alone.

I was so inexplicably happy that the anime took care to include the toilet to Hell that I can barely express it. Living in a bleak and hopeless real world as we are, it's nice to read about a bleak and hopeless fictional world that's somehow a lot of fun anyway.

And yes, girl big is very important and extremely good. I was immensely pleased that the anime did not reduce Noi to a couple of watermelons strapped to some noodles. Some real goddamned professionals made this series Bless them..

If fate is kind and just, there will be several more seasons. I kid, of course, as fate is blind and amoral, which given the nature of the world means that fate is hateful and cruel, but we got a season of Dorohedoro, so on an adjusted basis, we come out as not-as-far from ahead as humanity can realistically achieve.

SHOCKING!

v1cious wrote:

In the manga, its name was given as, "Judas' Ear." I am genuinely curious about the nature of the name and translation choices made.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

v1cious wrote:

In the manga, its name was given as, "Judas' Ear." I am genuinely curious about the nature of the name and translation choices made.

Kikurage and Judas' Ear are two different names for the same kind of mushroom.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

v1cious wrote:

Kikurage and Judas' Ear are two different names for the same kind of mushroom.

Thank you, that would just about explain it.

I need to get to Kennett Square oftener, or at all. (I'm sure that SEPTA will reactivate the Octoraro Branch as a variant of the R3 service any day now...)*

*This is a very obscure, Philadelphia metropolitan area transit-advocate sort of 'joke' that makes sense to almost nobody. For this, I am deeply sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 am Reply with quote
So I just finished Dorohedoro, and I didn’t know what to expect going in—I was thinking violent, incredibly bleak seinen sci fi, like Ajin of Knights of Sidonia (KoS has some levity, but it’s mostly bleak). I was not expecting balls to the wall upbeat hilarious black comedy wrapped in a horror shell and filled with details like flying brooms that sound like motorcycles and toilets that flush hellfire.
There was just so many fun details every episode—it totally deserves a second season and an episodic review! And another TWIA column—you guys didn’t even mention the Night of the Living Dead episode in which our mcs either try to kill zombies for prizes or get turned into zombies themselves. Best use of zombies in anime since Space Dandy!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1