• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tubi to Stream 6 Anpanman Films in English, Spanish

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:06 am Reply with quote
what the hell is this thing, exactly? I mean I have a plush of it dating 21 years ago (I'm 30) from Korea so it's definitely been around for a long time. But I've never seen it gain publicity anywhere in the West.
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
Nice! It's one of the most popular children's properties over there, so I've been wanting to see some of it. There are so many movies though, wish they had announced which ones will be streamed.The title of One Punch Man is a word play on Anpanman, strangely enough.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
what the hell is this thing, exactly? I mean I have a plush of it dating 21 years ago (I'm 30) from Korea so it's definitely been around for a long time. But I've never seen it gain publicity anywhere in the West.

Anpanman is a character based from the red bean bun. An is red bean and pan is bread in Japanese.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
Sounds quite nice!

I wonder what could be the dubbing studio for both dubs, though. Could be SDI Media? Or something completely different?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who don't know, Tubi is owned by Fox Corporation, which was spun off from what was then 20th Century Fox (which is now owned by Disney as 20th Century Studios), and consists of Fox Broadcasting and Fox News. So, in a way, Fox wants to get into the kids' TV industry again... sort of.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

There have been attempts at bringing Anpanman to North America, but no one's bit. Probably because there's already plenty of domestic and European animation for the preschool demo.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Surprised to see this mainstay of Japanese children's TV on US shores. Wasn't this the anime where the main hero throws bread from this head at the villains?

Also, I see good ol' Rupert Murdock is buying up new content after selling his old stuff to the Mouse House.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
But I've never seen it gain publicity anywhere in the West.

Right. The lack of a Western release (however, there was supposedly a Spain dub back in the 90s called Pan-Pan) is pretty much why.

horseradish wrote:
There are so many movies though, wish they had announced which ones will be streamed.

An English promo image on a Animation World Network article (https://www.awn.com/news/tubi-expands-animation-library-lego-masters-lego-mattel-garfield-and-anpanman-properties) implies that one of them will be last year's movie Soreike! Anpanman: Kirameke! Ice no Kuni no Vanilla-hime (それいけ! アンパンマン きらめけ! アイスの国のバニラ姫).

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
I wonder what could be the dubbing studio for both dubs, though. Could be SDI Media? Or someone completely different?
Either them, Bang Zoom, or, like you said, someone completely different. I'm thinking it'll be Bang Zoom since TMS commissioned the English dubs of Detective Conan Zero the Enforcer, The Crimson Love Letter, and Episode "One" to them.

Primus wrote:
There have been attempts at bringing Anpanman to North America, but no one's bit. Probably because there's already plenty of domestic and European animation for the preschool demo.

You're right. It was most likely also because higher-up execs correctly/incorrectly thought that North American kids wouldn't relate to superheroes based on Japanese food that they've never heard of, and Americanizing them wasn't feasible.

FLCLGainax wrote:
Wasn't this the anime where the main hero throws bread from this head at the villains?
No, Anpanman doesn't throw his head at the villains; he punches/kicks them. He tears off 2 or 3 parts of his head to feed hungry people. Whenever he tears off his head, or gets his head wet or dirty, Uncle Jam and Batako bake him a new head (if Anpanman is in the middle of a battle, they throw the new head at him, which knocks the old one off).
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Surprised to see this mainstay of Japanese children's TV on US shores. Wasn't this the anime where the main hero throws bread from this head at the villains?

Also, I see good ol' Rupert Murdock is buying up new content after selling his old stuff to the Mouse House.

You are correct, sir. My guess is he doesn't want to be known as this right-wing ideologue people make him out to be (which is understandable, since he does own Fox News). Not to mention this isn't his first time getting into kids' TV. Remember Fox Kids? That was the Saturday Morning lineup that aired anime such as Digimon and Flint the Time Detective (a Sanrio franchise for boys, BTW). They're also responsible for putting the Power Rangers on the map.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1