• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Athletes Victory Returns With New Manga, Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Huh, alright. When I was still an anime newb, this seemed like one of those default anime everyone knew about (if only because of what the title is). But it doesn't seem like it ever got talked about much as years went on.

Guess this is as good a time as any to actually finish it. I don't think the original OVA/TV show ever got relicensed after Pioneer had it (as PIONEER no less), did it? I think I've got some dubbed VHS tapes lying around somewhere...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
These titles with very 90s character designs, never quite look right in digipaint. It's something to do with the way the hair is coloured and shaded that works with real paint, especially the whites.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I can safely say that this is the third-to-last anime I expected to get a sequel.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Intriguing! Battle Athletes Victory was one of my Anime gateway titles (along with Tenchi) and remains an old favorite of mine to this day. It has that charm you can only find in a 1990's Anime, and if you're a Yuri fan it features that as well. I am now very much curious and open to seeing this new reboot/sequel--and sincerely hoping this will entice someone to license-rescue the classic original series. Funimation gave love to Tenchi, Right Stuf will soon give love to El Hazard, Battle Athletes Victory definitely deserves its own love after all this time.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY hope this leads to some interest in the original series and someone re-releases it here, I still love both original series.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Amazing ! I remember rewatching the anime a bunch of times so no matter if the anime is a remake or brand new i will be happy.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, wasn't expecting that. I remember the OVA being better than the TV series, but regardless it's still nice to see this classic return/re-imagined. Hadn't heard about the manga, so hopefully it and this series is good =)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Well, wasn't expecting that. I remember the OVA being better than the TV series, but regardless it's still nice to see this classic return/re-imagined. Hadn't heard about the manga, so hopefully it and this series is good =)

Wow, that's... uh no, the OVA was just Kurata, the TV series was Kurata with Kuroda who helped round out the story with a story. The only reason I have the OVAs is that I somehow got them for free when I collected a disk of the TV series.

Battle Athletes Victory, no collections, no reissues. Coupled with that is the fact that every episode had the opener and closing cut so it'd be just appear once a disk and you end up with a series that's just demanding a rerelease.

Instead, the TV series is getting a sequel. Fine. Several plot twists from the concluding episodes have me thinking "Oh. Oh!Oh!" and instead of being a surprise, it could end up being the entire second half of the series. Akari Kanzaki has one of the greatest character designs ever, it be a real shame if the sequel series has nothing... Oh.

Wow, they're all inferior to the originals. Is it the present day aesthetic applied to 90s designs that's ruining it or is that just an ugly image by itself?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Huh, alright. When I was still an anime newb, this seemed like one of those default anime everyone knew about (if only because of what the title is). But it doesn't seem like it ever got talked about much as years went on.

Its most lasting contribution to Western fandom was probably Kevin Caldwell's AMV "Believe," which was a staple of AMV rooms in conventions for a decade or more.

https://youtu.be/6sJVtctQ5Qc

I remember Victory's singles hanging out on shelves for a while, but the OVA discs had just about evaporated by the time Sam Goody imploded and yeah... I don't think any of those Pioneer discs were ever reissued. It's not the most amazing franchise in the world, but I would like to see it get a re-release out of this news. It deserves that much.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Battle Athletes Victory, no collections, no reissues. Coupled with that is the fact that every episode had the opener and closing cut so it'd be just appear once a disk and you end up with a series that's just demanding a rerelease.

In addition to the 'edited-together' episodes, the original Pioneer release of the TV series was missing a post-credit epilogue sequence in the last episode.

I always enjoyed Battle Athletes. Even went out and tracked down the Japanese language manga volumes for it. (Still have those around here somewhere...) I'd love it if this new series can get someone like DiscoTek or Right Stuf to license rescue the original OVA and TV series, correcting all the mistakes Pioneer made with the releases...
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen much of the original Battle Athletes Victory series, more of bits and pieces, but liked it, yet wasn't expecting something like this, I'll definitely give this a watch, it's nice to see some older anime get reboots when you least expect it.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. Battle Athletes is back?
I still have my Battle Athletes OAV DVD by Pioneer.
Never saw the TV series though.
I'm willing to give this a watch once it comes out.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
In addition to the 'edited-together' episodes, the original Pioneer release of the TV series was missing a post-credit epilogue sequence in the last episode.

For that alone I would love for it to be license-rescued and rereleased with the hopes they would fix the Pioneer edits.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Wow, that's... uh no, the OVA was just Kurata, the TV series was Kurata with Kuroda who helped round out the story with a story. The only reason I have the OVAs is that I somehow got them for free when I collected a disk of the TV series.

Uh, yes? While I admit I haven't seen it since the original dvds haven't come out (so I barely remember either) just because you think the TV series is better doesn't mean others can't think the OVA is better. Please remember your views are opinions, not facts.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:01 pm Reply with quote
When I got up this morning I certainly was not expecting to see this. I always enjoyed Victory as a nice campy title back in the day. I actually have a soft spot for those 80's and 90's animation styles. Here's hoping the new anime keeps that feel even if they give it a sprucing up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2