• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Higurashi: When They Cry Anime Debuts in October After COVID-19 Delay

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
The ANNcyclopedia indicates this is a reboot of the original series. Can anybody confirm this and maybe provide some more details?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
wasn't this announced awhile ago? I feel like we knew this last week unless I'm going crazy

edit: Funimation revealed on the first day of their con - Friday. That's what I was thinking of .

@Blood-

https://higurashianime.com/intro.html

This is all I could find but it 100% sounds like a reboot
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The ANNcyclopedia indicates this is a reboot of the original series. Can anybody confirm this and maybe provide some more details?

Essentially all of the scenes from the trailer are scenes from the earliest arcs of the series. They also adapted almost everything of importance previously. I think we would've been able to tell pretty quickly if this was something brand new or even an adaptation of the handful of spinoff materials (mostly novels and bonus arcs added to some ports of the VNs, I think?) that didn't get animated before.

I haven't yet seen anything that suggests it isn't a reboot.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Seems fitting enough it would debut on the month of Halloween. Whether it's a reboot or something else, as a Higurashi fan I'm looking forward to seeing this either way!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 am Reply with quote
I can't say I'm super jazzed about a reboot simply because I really enjoyed the original. I don't mind reboots if the original was deficient in some way and the reboot is a chance to set things right, but otherwise I don't see the point. I will check this out of simple curiousity.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
It might just be for people who didn't see the original. For a show that trades so heavily on suspense, it's going to be hard to really connect with folks who've seen it before, but there are plenty of anime watchers who weren't anime watchers 14 years ago.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:41 am Reply with quote
One thig to note especialyl to anime only watchers is that the original anime, rushed and skipped through a lot of things,; even the akb48 remake which takes it's time to show most of the cluest is a better adaptation; so as long as they are remaking it and giving it space to breathe ; this remake can be better than the original anime series.
Note that the live action movies are the worse of the adaptation because they have the same problems the anime ahs, but taken to the extreme; like, the anime leaned towards horror too much while ignoring lots of mistery scenes, and the live actionmovie turns it to 11 even ruining the mistery by adding more scares; and if the animation in the anime is lacking the acting in the live action movie is abysmal, k1 really ruins it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
The real question here is whether or not the new series will be able to come up with an opener worthy of the original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Great! I’m glad to see that it wasn’t delayed to next year. Super hyped for this.

@ Blood-

When this was first announced, I also had thoughts wondering why this is happening, as the original anime is one of my all-time favorites. But everywhere I went to on the internet reacting to this always had a sizable amount of people pointing out that the original anime wasn’t a good adaptation of the source material at all and even misguided anime-only people on what the series is about. So it seems to me that this reboot really will be a chance to set things right so I’m super jazzed about that. (Plus the animation of the original anime is little hard to look at nowadays, so an update on that front is very welcome in my eyes.)

@ Key

Heh, this would be a case where I would genuinely be fine if they just reused the same opening song for this reboot because seriously, how can you top that? I know that it won’t happen, but it’s interesting to think about.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
@ Joshua Zarate - your point jibes with the one that maximilianjenus made above. I am indeed an anime only fan of the franchise so I have nothing to compare the first season to. I have become a bit more intrigued. It would be nice if this wasn't simply a rehash of what was done before.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
When this was first announced, I also had thoughts wondering why this is happening, as the original anime is one of my all-time favorites. But everywhere I went to on the internet reacting to this always had a sizable amount of people pointing out that the original anime wasn’t a good adaptation of the source material at all and even misguided anime-only people on what the series is about.
Usually that's said when a Manga is adapted, and in other cases a light novel. This is a visual novel, it's not going to be anything like the source material. Taken on it's own merits, aside from some lacklustre animation, it's a good show. And the direction works around the animation, just look at how some of the scenes like the one with the door is handled.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The real question here is whether or not the new series will be able to come up with an opener worthy of the original.

Eiko Shimamiya still puts out great music e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04FNh7VJ-G4 - her 2019 birthday live was great.
db999

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I do think the animation could be improved considerably, given that the animation the first season is pretty bad. I personally don’t see it as a huge problem given that the direction and cinematography balances out the poor animation. I also keep seeing fans of the visual novel going on about how this can be a much better adaptation than the previous one and part of me can see why. While I haven’t played through the entire visual novel myself, I watched playthroughs of the first two arcs a few years ago on youtube and the anime does significantly shorten parts of the story. Since it’s been a long time I don’t remember a lot of what got cut out of the visual novel, but most of what I remember being cut was the school, comedy, and harem aspects that I wasn’t a huge fan of anyway. I could be misremembering, but it took something like 2 or 3 hours in the visual novel to get to the scene where spoiler[Keichi visits the forbidden shrine], whereas in the anime it only takes 1.5 episodes.

Other than those changes I hear that some of the arcs that season 1 of Higurashi adapt had vital information cut out of them, which necessitated an extra episode in season 2 in order to fill out the gaps. I’m also wondering how much they’ll actually adapt. Are they just going to adapt the main four story arcs, or are they going to adapt any of the bonus arcs? Again I haven’t played the visual novel, but reading the short 1 paragraph summaries of the bonus arcs makes me want to see those adapted as well. I also wonder if they’ll adapt the short epilogues that occurred after each question arc because I thought those were fun. Anyway I have high expectations for this new adaptation because the original adaptation is one of my favorite horror anime
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't convinced the anime industry could even pull off a good horror show until Higurashi rolled around. I still remember it with .. affectionate dread, affection-for-dread, or something like that?

Bummed to hear it's a reboot. I guess it will be nice to have updated visuals, but worry they won't live up to the original's directing, and (as an anime-only viewer) would personally much rather see more of the story rather than modestly expand on & reinforce what's already been told.
Moontei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I loved the original anime adaptations back in the day so I'm also extremely interested in this supposed reboot after hearing about how much the first anime skipped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1