• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club: Amazon Delists Some Light Novels, Manga on Kindle

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
Post removed.

Sorry but what don't allow self promotion here. That includes self promoting your own petitions. ~ Psycho 101
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
And now the censorship bandwagon has come for anime, manga, and light novels. Knew it was coming, but its still disconcerting to see.

FWIW, all of these titles are currently (as of Monday evening 7/13/2020) still available on the Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million websites. Emphasis on "currently", because no one has any idea if that will stay the case. It could just be that the only places that will carry these titles in the very near future will be specialty sites like Right Stuff and AAA.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Nick4x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
And now the censorship bandwagon has come for anime, manga, and light novels. Knew it was coming, but its still disconcerting to see.

Don't know where you've been, but censorship has been happening in anime since is became profitable enough to sell in the U.S.

Naturally, I don't agree with it, but don't act like this is new.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile Kindle Content Review is still fine with leaving up the Kindle editions of such "Dinosaur Erotica" as "Taken by the T-Rex" and "Ravished by the Triceratops."

I'm reminded of the time when an Amazon rep claimed they were "curating" only the best anime for Anime Strike, https://decider.com/2017/06/30/anime-strike-curation-interview/ which then went on to simulcast Shobitch and Vatican Miracle Examiner, because actually they were just putting up whatever their deals with Sentai and Japanese programming blocks got them.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
Could ANN get a statement from Amazon on this? Maybe they will have more leverage as a news outlet than the publishers that got blindsided by this.

For all we know it could be something similar to how YouTube trolls can mass report videos to get them taken down even though the content is in the clear. Sometimes it takes a bit of pressuring YouTube to reinstate the video when the normal methods are a dead end.
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:25 am Reply with quote
Trying to get a statement from Amazon would be rather like getting blood from a stone. It's a huge corporation that's grown way beyond its own capacity to behave logically.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:
Don't know where you've been, but censorship has been happening in anime since is became profitable enough to sell in the U.S.

Sure, there's always been some level of censorship when it comes to translations and localizing. But this is the first time I am aware of where specific titles that have already been released (in some cases, released years ago) have been removed for sale by a major vendor. It's one thing if, say, Funimation decides after the fact that a show they had the rights for (Interspecies Reviewers) turned out to be too hot for them to handle, and they decide to withdraw it. But its a rather different situation when a vendor summarily decides to start removing titles from one of its publishers that have otherwise been available for years. This move by Amazon strikes me as a definite escalation.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:59 am Reply with quote
The fact that “I shall survive using potions” was included in this de-list wave really makes me think something is screwed up, the series is a completely innocent “girl gets isekai'd and has the power to make any potion she wants” written by FUNA the same author of “Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average“ (The LN had none of the weird loli stuff from the anime).
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:09 am Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
The fact that “I shall survive using potions” was included in this de-list wave really makes me think something is screwed up

It's still known in some circles as "potion loli" though, which perhaps gives a clue as to why it was disappeared.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:52 am Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
NiPah wrote:
The fact that “I shall survive using potions” was included in this de-list wave really makes me think something is screwed up

It's still known in some circles as "potion loli" though, which perhaps gives a clue as to why it was disappeared.

Unless things go way off the rails it’s just an innocent isekai staring a 22year old office lady who got reincarnated and can make potions. The art style is definitely cute but I don’t see why it would get delisted.
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:26 am Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Unless things go way off the rails it’s just an innocent isekai staring a 22year old office lady who got reincarnated and can make potions. The art style is definitely cute but I don’t see why it would get delisted.

If some troll or other sends Amazon a list of alleged "loli" titles, do you really think an actual person is going to look at every single page of every book in that list? J-Novel Club tags it with "potion loli", which in this case might have been all the evidence needed to cancel the Amazon listings.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:34 am Reply with quote
I don’t want to jump on the bandwagon just yet and feed the “it’s censorship!!” hysteria that can happen with this stuff but I really don’t understand why Amazon is removing these titles. It doesn’t help they’re not clarifying their reasoning to the publishers either.

This is why I think it’s worth at least attempting to get an answer out of them first. If they stay silent or have a dumb reason for removing them, then I’ll have more of a reason to start complaining louder.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:35 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, amazon.jp still has Japanese edition Interspecies Reviewers anime watchable on prime, the manga and blurays still up for order...

Oh yeah, the No Game No Liife novels, anime and manga as well. And probably the other novels whose English editions we're discussing missing from the .com side...
Swiftnissity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:

The belief is it probably has to do with volume 4. It has a colored image towards the start showing multiple young girls in the hot spring which Amazon (or an automated AI) may have decided is worth banning it over.

Some also have a theory that if Amazon finds one problematic volume then they are now taking down an entire series. Thus Potions was potentially removed due to volume 4 and Clockwork Planet was potentially removed due to volume 1.
Joa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:23 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Meanwhile, amazon.jp still has Japanese edition Interspecies Reviewers anime watchable on prime, the manga and blurays still up for order...

Oh yeah, the No Game No Liife novels, anime and manga as well. And probably the other novels whose English editions we're discussing missing from the .com side...

You can buy literal loli hentai on Amazon JP. They're pretty lax.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7