• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Surpasses 3 Million Subscribers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Good for them. They need all the money they can get with AT&T ready to dump them.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
That's a huge drop in speed for new subs over the last few years.

Does this mean they'll actually start paying their employees properly instead of spending all their money buying ad spots in anime? If they don't start paying people properly then I won't feel a bit sorry for them if the rumors are true. They really don't deserve so much success but when the whole streaming industry is just made up of small monopolies, it's basically impossible for them to fail. Exclusives killed any real choice. Have to subscribe to everything to watch even 50% of shows.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Does this mean they'll actually start paying their employees properly instead of spending all their money buying ad spots in anime?

fyi they've more or less co-funded GoH with Webtoon, so they didn't "pay for an ad spot", they kinda just payed for a lot of the anime...
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
-pay workers better
-fix the apps/servers (Xbox app barely working for me lately, need to cast almost everytime!)
-clean up, fix, and improve their manga section

There's a lot they really need to focus on right now (only if their parent companies will allow them...)
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for Crunchyroll to fix their glitchy video player.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
Great! Now if only the interface would consistently work properly for me on Roku.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 am Reply with quote
They should:
* Pay their translators better.
* Fix their bug-infested website and apps. If you look at Crunchyroll and VRV's subreddit, almost all of the posts are users complaining about their broken service.
* Stop spending their money on nonsense activities like Anime Awards, CRX and podcasts like Anime in America.
* Start releasing their shows to BD/DVD. Maybe sublicense their shows to Discotek or something.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:55 am Reply with quote
Looks like some anti-industry saboteurs are going to be sad that their efforts to convince paying subscribers to switch to piracy have failed.

Kougeru wrote:
Have to subscribe to everything to watch even 50% of shows.
90% of the Winter '20 season was on just two services, CR and Funimation. Please stop spreading misinformation.

ermat_46 wrote:
If you look at Crunchyroll and VRV's subreddit, almost all of the posts are users complaining about their broken service.
That's selection bias. Users who aren't experiencing any problems aren't going to go to a separate site just to say "Things are just fine!"
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:37 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
They should:
* Start releasing their shows to BD/DVD. Maybe sublicense their shows to Discotek or something.

They already have:

Kemono Friends
Angel's 3Piece
Anti-Magic Academy
Konosuba
Poco's Udon World
She and Her Cat
Caligula (currently unconfirmed but if true, opens big possibilities for some recent PonyCan titles on the site (EDIT: Confirmed now, their logo is on the cover & disc))

And this is not even counting the shows they put out before the FUNiroll deal started up.

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:45 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many of the ones they are counting are the free trials cancellation and other service cancellations decide to charge the customer anyway. Had that happen to me; clearly had the cancellation of service confirmation email and they charged me anyway..

My honest review of the service: Not worth it; and don't give them your payment information as they're going to charge you even if you cancel the service.

And, personally, I dislike having "streaming services" like this. Not being able to "own a copy" means that they can just flat out close down whenever the heck they want to regardless of how well they're doing. There was an Asian Drama streaming site you could sub to to watch shows and they just shut down without warning cutting all access off. And Crunchyroll has already done the same; they used to have an Asian Drama section to their website and just shut it down without warning. Oh, but you can use our sister-site and pay us TWICE!
... Halfway through that show? Boop! Gone. Why? Eh, we're going a different direction right now....now pay us twice for the same service.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:13 am Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Great! Now if only the interface would consistently work properly for me on Roku.

THIS!

CR on Roku just sucks to high heaven. It never works right so many issues!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:29 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

They already have:

Kemono Friends
Angel's 3Piece
Anti-Magic Academy
Konosuba
Poco's Udon World
She and Her Cat
Caligula (currently unconfirmed but if true, opens big possibilities for some recent PonyCan titles on the site)

And this is not even counting the shows they put out before the FUNiroll deal started up.
I would love a BD release of Planet With but I think fans just have to accept it probably didn't do well in streaming numbers. It was an anime original and a mecha show that's not part of an established franchise and those are always hard sales.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
There was an Asian Drama streaming site you could sub to to watch shows and they just shut down without warning cutting all access off. And Crunchyroll has already done the same; they used to have an Asian Drama section to their website and just shut it down without warning. Oh, but you can use our sister-site and pay us TWICE!
... Halfway through that show? Boop! Gone. Why? Eh, we're going a different direction right now....now pay us twice for the same service.

Drama Fever was bought and shut down by AT&T, with the only similarity being that it's the same parent company as CR. CR still has their live-action content (just harder to search for without the separate section), but they have (sadly) stopped this endeavor. No idea what this sister site you are referring to is, though.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:03 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
They should:

They already have:

Kemono Friends
Angel's 3Piece
Anti-Magic Academy
Konosuba
Poco's Udon World
She and Her Cat
Caligula (currently unconfirmed but if true, opens big possibilities for some recent PonyCan titles on the site)

How about shows like Yuru-Camp, A Place Further Than The Universe, etc.? Those ones were already more than half a year ago. The problem with CR is that they're too slow in doing things.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:13 am Reply with quote
Ideally this would make me happy, sadly that would be in a world where this money goes towards improving their services, paying their employees more and getting more titles. We all know that the more money CR get, the more they will put into their terrible original titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3