• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Keizai: Poor Accounting at Animation Production Studios Is the Reason Behind Low Ani

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Make sense. I feel like we'd be back in the old days with less anime but higher quality if they actually did some decent accounting and focused that money. However, I feel like this might be an excuse as well. I've seen reports on how much the higher ups in these companies make...just like US companies, it's very disproportionate to everyone else
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
The biggest gem I got from this was that animator salaries are what they are not because studios don't get properly compensated for their work. That isn't a factor at all.

In fact, studios are actually very fairly compensated for their work. They're saying the issue is that the production committee cuts a fair and balanced check to the studio and the studios are so bad with stuff like Excel and accounting and the general concept of money that they just lose it all. This losing it all is is what causes animator wages to be so low.

If they'd just learn Excel and accounting, they wouldn't lose the fair and just money production companies provide them with and they could pay animators a better wage. It's 100% on studios literally losing money because they don't know anything about accounting and refuse to learn.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely believe it's at least a contributing factor. It at least fits with the recent article about how Netflix's bigger budgets for anime don't help as much as you'd think because the studios use a lot of it to pay old bills. That said, some of the recent information about pay structure suggests that what is left over might not be fairly distributed.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
The biggest gem I got from this was that animator salaries are what they are not because studios don't get properly compensated for their work. That isn't a factor at all.

In fact, studios are actually very fairly compensated for their work. They're saying the issue is that the production committee cuts a fair and balanced check to the studio and the studios are so bad with stuff like Excel and accounting and the general concept of money that they just lose it all. This losing it all is is what causes animator wages to be so low.

If they'd just learn Excel and accounting, they wouldn't lose the fair and just money production companies provide them with and they could pay animators a better wage. It's 100% on studios literally losing money because they don't know anything about accounting and refuse to learn.
It's actually still a problem that counts on the other aspect - most of the studios cannot control anything on the animation works they produce and basically are the subcontractors, and all things about IP is fully controlled by production committees. By that, they actually never take a risk if the produced anime sales fails, but they're also cannot make more money from the sudden hits - because the profits completely goes to the members of production commitee. So, they completely rely on the paychecks that comes from commitees - to make a proper funds for the studio, they need to work even more, so it make a full loop - because if the studio itself apply to the production committee and invest the money to make the IP, they also accept all the risks that can come with the failure, which is more common in industry than make a successful anime franchise. Basically, even production committee system actualy created to counter that risks in general when bubble of high-quality anime productions flopped and industry got to their knees.

Mentioned in the article Khara is one good example where studio have a reliable funds because Anno actually own the IP, but it comes with one thing - EVA is a juggernaut IP by itself and profits from Rebuilds can cover the studio funds for years, but we don't exactly know what can happen to the studio if EVA suddenly take a dip in it's sales and will not be enough to pull the studio by itself. Better examples will be big studios like Toei and Sunrise, which are pretty backed in their funds, so they will not struggle at all even if it's one or two IP fail - because they are have numbers of IP with their profits cover for that.

But again - that not works for most of animation studios, which not have even one IP in their own pocket, and you can't be sure that producing of original IP outside of works for production commitees can actually save them.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Make sense. I feel like we'd be back in the old days with less anime but higher quality if they actually did some decent accounting and focused that money. However, I feel like this might be an excuse as well. I've seen reports on how much the higher ups in these companies make...just like US companies, it's very disproportionate to everyone else

It ends the same way as every other company in crisis, bad management. Also, I've said before that less anime means higher quality, and better conditions, yet people here complained and thought it wouldn't increase anime quality or it wouldn't solve the bad LN adaptation issue.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

It ends the same way as every other company in crisis, bad management. Also, I've said before that less anime means higher quality, and better conditions, yet people here complained and thought it wouldn't increase anime quality or it wouldn't solve the bad LN adaptation issue.

I 100% agree with you,
There is to much of glut of anime before the pandemic started.Workers are overworked and underpaid.Look at recent articles of people suing companies for their overtime and people dying from being overworked.
Less is more.Companies need to work within reason.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
As the article illustrates, it’s not that simple. For many, less means going out of business. While it hasn’t happened yet because of the current situation, the source says it’s only a matter of time.

I think the question of whether making fewer shows will mean more quality depends on how you define quality. If by quality, one means more consistent animation, perhaps I could see it, though I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of mistakes and poor planning even in a world with fewer shows per season. If you mean good shows more broadly, I’m more skeptical, unless your tastes align strongly with what is popular in Japan. In all likelihood, less shows will not necessarily mean more quality, but rather more shows that are more likely to sell well, so probably more of a focus on sequels to popular shows and adaptations of popular source material. Those looking for more niche and original shows or dissatisfied with more broadly popular genres and franchises will probably not see more of what they want in that situation.

Less speculatively, I ask you to look at the current season, and ask yourself, “Are there more good shows now than in seasons with more shows?” Are there even as many good shows as seasons with more shows. Certainly, one might say that the shows currently airing are just an accident of what shows were cutting things close in schedule before the lockdowns and not necessarily a reflection of how things would be in a situation where the industry decided to make fewer shows voluntarily and less abruptly, but I still think it isn’t unwarranted to look at the current season and be skeptical of the notion that less will be more.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
If I just had a few spare million right now, this would definitely be the industry I'd invest in...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:55 am Reply with quote
They need to hire accounting experts like rich people do

And they need to do their own side-projects where they control the IP
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1