• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
VCRX 2020: We Translate Your Anime & More Panel Report

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just the dryness of the reporting, but it doesn't sound like any of these people actually enjoy their work. It seems like just a job they happen to have the skills to do, so they do it and try to make a living. I know that like any other job, it has its headaches and frustrations and feeling unappreciated (especially when that's reinforced by not being paid commensurate with the work you put in), but I'd like to think that this work would also be interesting and rewarding and fun. Apparently, it's not. That's a shame.

It makes me sad to think that if Showa Genroku Rakugo ever got licensed, rather than being a job translators would be excited to work on, they'd just see it as a monumental time-sink and major pain-in-the ass with all its historical and theatrical language nuances. And that that's probably how they felt about it even doing the quick-and-dirty version they slapped on it when it aired. Sad
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I totally believe these translators are happy with the pay they receive from Crunchyroll. Yep. If they were upset about it they would totally speak up on a crunchyroll panel designed for PR for crunchyroll. Their jobs as freelancers totally wouldn't be at risk for talking publicly, on a crunchyroll panel, about how unhappy they are with the pay situation.

Yep.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Maybe it's just the dryness of the reporting, but it doesn't sound like any of these people actually enjoy their work. It seems like just a job they happen to have the skills to do, so they do it and try to make a living. I know that like any other job, it has its headaches and frustrations and feeling unappreciated (especially when that's reinforced by not being paid commensurate with the work you put in), but I'd like to think that this work would also be interesting and rewarding and fun. Apparently, it's not. That's a shame

These people might be working on shows they have zero interest in or knowledge of, or they become stressed when it becomes their livelihood because they have to meet demand and actually take it seriously, or else. I imagine the people who do fan translations for free in their spare time have more fun because it can be more of a passion project for them then an actual job, and if worse comes to worse they can just quit if they want to without it affecting their livelihood. Doing things as a job and doing things as a hobby can be quite different.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:03 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Doing things as a job and doing things as a hobby can be quite different.

I understand that quite well and acknowledged that in my post. But there's also a huge difference between the stresses and downsides of a job you love and those from one you're just doing for the paycheck. These people sounded like they'd be just as happy working on a factory floor assembly line if it paid better.

But again, that may not be how they feel and is just an artifact of the reporting style. It would've been nice if the picture of their profession had included some stories about the parts of their work they actually do enjoy. The question is whether such was left out of the article, or they just didn't have any to tell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1