• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Cinemas Lift COVID-19 Seating Restrictions For Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Fil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Curious how this will affect things considering europe and us are having increased cases and japan is basically like both economies in multiple regards.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Of course are they going to lift the restrictions because of Kimetsu no Yaiba...
Kadenza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Drinks will be sold at the theaters, but visitors are forbidden from eating food during the screenings. All visitors are asked to wear a face mask and refrain from engaging in conversation while at the venue.

Welp, good luck. Very irresponsible considering the series is extremely popular among kids.
Willo567

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how this is different from how they've been handling things since September. As the article states, cinemas have been allowed to have screenings that fill all of the seats since then, so how is this any different?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
terrible idea considering Tokyo is still getting 400-600 cases a day...
Willo567

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

The cases in Tokyo lately have been around 100-250 cases daily.

Like I said, I'm confused by the article, because it states that theaters have been allowing screenings with seats filled since September, except that you can't eat during the movie. So how is this different than before?
halo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Willo567 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Like I said, I'm confused by the article, because it states that theaters have been allowing screenings with seats filled since September, except that you can't eat during the movie. So how is this different than before?

They have been allowed full seating by the government, the theaters themselves have not actually allowed it until now.
Willo567

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Willo567 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

They have been allowed full seating by the government, the theaters themselves have not actually allowed it until now.

Thank you, that makes more sense now. Still, I hope that the seats being full for the weekend won't lead to a spike in cases. They just had a four day weekend a few weeks ago where there were a ton of people in Tokyo, and it looks like the cases have stayed relatively flat. What do you think?
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I don't know what websites you are inquiring about, but you are confusing the cases of the whole country with that from Tokyo only: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/10/14/national/tokyo-177-coronavirus/

Either way, cinema in Japan has been relatively normal since July. Kyo Kara Ore wa has grossed more than 5 billion yen since the cinemas reopened, that is, millions of japanese have been to the cinema since then.

I think we need to recognize that the japanese faced the covid with more discipline and seriousness than the USA and Europe. I know this is difficult for many Westerners who see Japan as just a source of entertainment and nothing else, but unless all of this is a conspiracy theory and the government is actually hiding the numbers, the japanese have managed to do a job much better than most of the world facing the pandemic.
Willo567

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I don't know what websites you are inquiring about, but you are confusing the cases of the whole country with that from Tokyo only: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/10/14/national/tokyo-177-coronavirus/

Either way, cinema in Japan has been relatively normal since July. Kyo Kara Ore wa has grossed more than 5 billion yen since the cinemas reopened, that is, millions of japanese have been to the cinema since then.

I think we need to recognize that the japanese faced the covid with more discipline and seriousness than the USA and Europe. I know this is difficult for many Westerners who see Japan as just a source of entertainment and nothing else, but unless all of this is a conspiracy theory and the government is actually hiding the numbers, the japanese have managed to do a job much better than most of the world facing the pandemic.

Plus, as the article states, this is only for the first weekend. After that, it's back to spaced seating
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is curious, the initial estimate is that 1.000.000 people will be watching the movie on Friday. What seems like a lot, is about 3x what happened to Kyo Kara Ore wa in July. Am I the only one who has been following the Japanese box office stories here? Because nobody seems to know about the kyo kara ore wa box office.

Ticket sales estimates link: https://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-36217.html?sp

ps: The number is just an estimate, it can be much higher or lower in reality, not to mention that it may be different when you see the site.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Japan has been lifting restrictions since late last month in all sorts of ways:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/09/29/national/japan-start-easing-outbound-travel-advisory-stages-october/

August was the worst for them but things have stalled since then:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/japan/
Their response was solid and they frankly got lucky. Taiwan, now that´s an Asain Covid success story!
If anything, learn from them.

China´s film industry bounced back at this point btw. Not fully but the No 1 and 2 highest-grossing films of 2020 will be Chinese in 2020. The Eight Hundred (8/10) reigns supreme and the animated Jiang Ziya: Legend of Deification should overtake it soon. Movies worth watching. Not a fan of Demon Slayer though. Asians cinemas are currently open by and large and make money again, unless you are in India... The 2020 numbers if you got curios: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/
This film would need to make 108 mil to enter the top 10 but only 67 mill will be enough to overtake Mulan and get the No 11 spot. Not that Mulan counts due to how it came out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
With a population of more than 125 million inhabitants concentrated in a tiny territory of 377,975 km2, and taking into account that they have a very high risk group, with the elderly representing a considerable portion of the population. In fact, they had several disadvantages that should have helped spread the virus. But in this aspect of hygienic control and the behavior of the people, Japan (along with other Asian countries) has a lot to teach the West.

For someone like me who is Brazilian and lives in a country where it is in a parallel reality, it is impossible not to admire Asian countries.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
With a population of more than 125 million inhabitants concentrated in a tiny territory of 377,975 km2, and taking into account that they have a very high risk group, with the elderly representing a considerable portion of the population. In fact, they had several disadvantages that should have helped spread the virus. But in this aspect of hygienic control and the behavior of the people, Japan (along with other Asian countries) has a lot to teach the West.

For someone like me who is Brazilian and lives in a country where it is in a parallel reality, it is impossible not to admire Asian countries.

Well Asian countries generally don't have a stigma against wearing mask, in fact even before the pandemic people would still regularly wear mask when go outside due to the high amount of dust on the street or to protect against intense sunlight.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Well Asian countries generally don't have a stigma against wearing mask, in fact even before the pandemic people would still regularly wear mask when go outside due to the high amount of dust on the street or to protect against intense sunlight.

It's very shamed to be a burden on people in Japan in public, which is why wearing masks is so common when sick even before corona. But it also extends to things like being overweight which inconveniences people in crowded areas like subway trains and small shops Japan can have a metabo law, but a similar thing in America would probably be seen as unconsitutional. Huge cultural difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2