• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Blade of the Immortal Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I swear to god if this doesn't get a dub Imma be pissed.
anime-prime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:

Well, the original article on Sentai's website made it seem pretty clear that it was only distribution rights...so that might mean that dubbing isn't up to them...not sure really.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
anime-prime wrote:
Ultimate N wrote:

Well, the original article on Sentai's website made it seem pretty clear that it was only distribution rights...so that might mean that dubbing isn't up to them...not sure really.

I do recall when they announced they had licensed Ahiru no Sora initially there was no official confirmation for a dub just yet. Also Sentai usually have a good history of dubbing anime they licensed specifically when it comes to shows that originally streamed on Amazon. After the Rain, Made in Abyss, and Land of the Lustrous are immediate examples. You're not wrong in that there's no guarantee for a dub atm, and I'm not gonna assume one's happening yet, just saying that given Sentai's history it's still likely.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Nice. The show has some pacing and narrative issues, but I think it did plenty of great things right to be worthwhile.

By the way, Sentai Filmworks has changed its name to just Sentai.

Ultimate N wrote:

I am not sure Sentai is willing to dub a two cours show that streamed on an unpopular service for anime fans. Plus, not many fans seem to be excited about BotI.

Ultimate N wrote:
Also Sentai usually have a good history of dubbing anime they licensed specifically when it comes to shows that originally streamed on Amazon. After the Rain, Made in Abyss, and Land of the Lustrous are immediate examples.

MiA and LotL were licensed before they started streaming, and they arguably were the biggest titles of 2017.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Cool, we can get Keith back as Manji?

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I am not sure Sentai is willing to dub a two cours show that streamed on an unpopular service for anime fans. Plus, not many fans seem to be excited about BotI.

MiA and LotL were licensed before they started streaming, and they arguably were the biggest titles of 2017.

They've dubbed lesser shows also with worse receptions.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Great!! I'm glad to see they are continuing to license amazon shows. Now please give us Re: Creators and a dub of it already. I've been patiently waiting for it to get a dub.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
By the way, Sentai Filmworks has changed its name to just Sentai.

It doesn't really matter when they still use "Filmworks" for their website, store & social media accounts.

Wanna drop that part of your name, don't half-ass the job.

Quote:

Shame because the original wasn't well-liked either.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Cool, we can get Keith back as Manji?

Sentai stopped working with Bang Zoom a long time ago (see Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen & Squid Girl season 2 dubs being in-house) plus with this being a reboot, they have no reason to get that cast back.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Who needs an English dub when you have Tsuda? No offense to Keith or Seki though Embarassed
Charou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Who needs an English dub when you have Tsuda? No offense to Keith or Seki though Embarassed

100%. I am a big old fan of Seki but when I rewatched the Bee Train(wreck) Blade recently, I realised he wasn't directed well at all. It's hard to believe he'd already been Fate's Gilgamesh, Esaflowne's Van Fanel and Fushigi Yuugi's Chichiri (three incredibly diverse roles) before portraying that very low-key, frankly boring Manji. In fact, that whole show had a stellar cast, completely wasted. Noto Mamiko, Sakamoto Maaya, Nakai Kazuya, Miki Shinichiro, Toyoguchi Megumi...in contrast, the 2019 version is almost carried by Tsuda (although Nakata 'Yorokobe shounen' Jouji as Kagimura was effin' divine).

Heck, I thought he was a bad fit when they first announced him as Manji: he's great at being sinister, scheming, enigmatic but snarky, sarcastic and world-weary? Was very glad to be wrong there -- he did two such roles that season from memory: Manji and Matoba from Copcraft. Then id:invaded cemented it. Tsuda's got the chops to do a lot more than just bad guys.

__

I was going to buy the JP blurays just to support the release, but I'm glad to see Sentai's getting in on it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
So about how much of the original manga does this cover? At 30 volumes I'm guessing it didn't cover the whole thing
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
So about how much of the original manga does this cover? At 30 volumes I'm guessing it didn't cover the whole thing

That's actually the problem, it DID cover the whole thing, but they covered it in 24 episodes. While I have yet to actually watch it I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say this a similar case to God of Highschool where it had solid visuals and production values, but just didn't have enough episodes to adapt everything they wanted to leading the story to be hard to comprehend
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:34 am Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
Covnam wrote:

That's actually the problem, it DID cover the whole thing, but they covered it in 24 episodes. While I have yet to actually watch it I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say this a similar case to God of Highschool where it had solid visuals and production values, but just didn't have enough episodes to adapt everything they wanted to leading the story to be hard to comprehend

I am not familiar with the manga but watched the 2019 anime, and I will say that there is a point around the middle of the anime where a chunk of the story seems to have been skipped. But other than that I liked and understood the story, and the conclusion is satisfying. It does not look like anything major was skipped.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
Well I'm glad they are continuing to do what i keep saying they should do, now we need; Dororo and Vinland Saga
angelmcazares wrote:
Ultimate N wrote:

I am not sure Sentai is willing to dub a two cours show that streamed on an unpopular service for anime fans.
They dropped Strike a long time ago, and 150 million people worldwide already have a Prime membership. So I don't get why Prime would be an unpopular service for Anime fans anymore.

That said, I'm fine either way, it's a very Japanese setting so it works better as a sub. But a dub wouldn't do any harm, even if I can't think for anyone suitable for the role of Manji.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'd handle a dub (and their subs I guess) the way Dark Horse did their English translation of the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2