• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Film Sells 3.4 Million Tickets, Earns 4.62 Billion Yen in 1st 3 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:44 am Reply with quote
Congrats to KnY on its record breaking opening. Even surpassing Mega Shinkai! Especially with how things are today compared to 2016. The legs on this movie are going to be crazy.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's a lot of screenings. 40 times a day would mean it'd have to be on at least 5 screens in a single theater, right?
Stryfermon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:47 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of screenings. 40 times a day would mean it'd have to be on at least 5 screens in a single theater, right?

Makes a lot of sense, since almost all western movies are postponed until later this year or 2021. Frees up space for local movies for extra screen time.
#Frey04

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:01 am Reply with quote
now this makes me really happy as a KnY fan. this movie can stand toe to toe with the anime movies like Your name and Weathering with You and even break records. The best part is this movie is a sequel....so those who have watched the anime season 1 can watch this...yet it broke box office record.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:37 am Reply with quote
Should be interesting to see COVID numbers in about 2 weeks... . Really happy for the film but this still isn't the time for this to happen
MetalGarurumon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 am Reply with quote
Free COVID for everyone in Japan.

And Kimetsu is mediocre at best, this crap is really going to be the best selling movie in Japan?
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:23 am Reply with quote
Living in Japan, I'm going to be very interested to see what happens in the next few weeks—the marketing push for the last three months on this movie has just been insane. It's inescapable. I get hit with posters, music, and collaborations literally every time I walk through a door. I'm sick of it and I'm not even planning to watch it.

The last (non-Shinkai) anime film I can recall that took this kind of saturation marketing approach was Mirai no Mirai, and that backfired horribly. I think it's an absolutely superb movie, probably Hosoda's best, but everyone was sick of it by the time it came out and the marketing promised a film that doesn't exist (some kind of epic time travel adventure), so as a result the bottom just dropped out of ticket sales when audiences went away disappointed. In Kimetsu no Yaiba's case, I suppose that audiences are getting what they want, so it might actually remain popular for a while?

(Movie theater COVID-19 precautions are outstanding, so I don't think there's any chance this movie will be directly responsible for any kind of spike. However, the huge majority of Japanese theaters are located in shopping malls with food courts people will go eat at afterwards since they're not allowed to eat in the theater, so that could cause trouble.)
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
This is great. I can't wait for no one in North America to be able to watch it because most of us can't go to movie theaters or wisely choose not to. So glad they're not going with a video on demand option. Not saying I'm going to pirate this, but totally understand why people would when they want to watch something but the distributor is giving them no way to do so.... I thought people were smarter than this these days.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful! Covid concerns aside, I wonder how far it would go. So much hype everywhere in Japan for this. Shocked
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:50 am Reply with quote
MetalGarurumon wrote:

And Kimetsu is mediocre at best, this crap is really going to be the best selling movie in Japan?

Just because it's popular doesn't always mean you have to be a dick to the fans.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to KNY!!! I can't wait to see it in theaters too someday!
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
MetalGarurumon wrote:

Just because it's popular doesn't always mean you have to be a dick to the fans.

Or to the show for that matter. Bruh needs to sit down with that h*es ass shit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1