• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Viewership on Netflix in U.S. is 'Up Over 100%' in 2020

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
American-animated Blood of Zeus show was the other most-watched "anime".

Correction, it's not Anime if it's not made by a Japanese company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote
ChrisKris wrote:

I agree, but anime is just a marketing buzzword to some companies like Netflix. People should be used to it being used that way by now.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
ChrisKris wrote:
American-animated Blood of Zeus show was the other most-watched "anime".

Honestly, I don't give two fcks if it wasn't made in Japan. It still blows out of the water 99% of "real" anime series coming from Japan this year... and it feels 1 million times more "anime" to me that any given generic crap that we get every season. So yeah, I'm really glad it's been pretty succesful and hopefully we'll keep on getting more stuff like this to compensate for the trillion isekai/moe/otaku trash series we get all the time.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Honestly, I don't give two fcks if it wasn't made in Japan. It still blows out of the water 99% of "real" anime series coming from Japan this year... and it feels 1 million times more "anime" to me that any given generic crap that we get every season. So yeah, I'm really glad it's been pretty succesful and hopefully we'll keep on getting more stuff like this to compensate for the trillion isekai/moe/otaku trash series we get all the time.

But it is not anime. Plain and simple. Sure, you can apply whatever subjective metric of quality you want to the media products you watch, but that doesn't make it anime.

I mean, if you hate anime so much, I suggest you try and branch out into other media products for your entertainment. For instance, try premium cable shows like Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Man in the High Castle, The Boys, etc... and stop forcing your ideal of what anime should be onto what anime actually is.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
I wonder how Pokemon Journeys anime on Netflix is doing
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm personally more interested in whether a show has the stylistic hallmarks of anime than whether a Japanese studio was involved in its production. Seems more useful to reserve "anime" to refer to the style than to the country of origin, to me.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I'm not too impressed if the top shows are a Pokemon movie and a series animated in the US. Netflix has dozens of anime series in its catalog. How are they doing?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this has anything to do with animated series, specifically? Or is it just that Netflix has seen in general a large increase in viewership of most genres/mediums, with people trapped inside much more often than usual?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Somehow I'm not too impressed if the top shows are a Pokemon movie and a series animated in the US. Netflix has dozens of anime series in its catalog. How are they doing?

They’ve talked repeatedly about the success of Baki and Seven Deadly Sins.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm personally more interested in whether a show has the stylistic hallmarks of anime than whether a Japanese studio was involved in its production. Seems more useful to reserve "anime" to refer to the style than to the country of origin, to me.

But what are the stylistic hallmarks of anime? Chibi Maruko-chan and Ping Pong are both anime, but are absolutely nothing alike in terms of art style, direction, genre, audience demographic or themes.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Blood of Zeus was promoted harder than most of their actual anime titles because it was done by the Castlevania people, which had mainstream success in the anglosphere. Makes sense it would do this well.

In terms of Pokemon, kids stuff always does the best on Netflix. A show called Cocomelon, which is 60 minutes of poorly animated nursery rhymes for kids, has consistently been in the top ten since it released since parents can stick their kids in front of it. It makes sense that a kids property as recognized as Pokemon would do well among parents who grew up with it. Especially since a good number of adults still watch Pokemon, too.

Netflix has published numbers indicating Seven Deadly Sins and Beastars have done super well, and they just announced those direct collaborations with studios that are upcoming. So non-kids/American "anime" have done well enough to warrant that, at least.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:46 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

+ 1000
But for some reason a lot of anime fans seem unable to accept this. It's pretty much like saying that only American bands can play rock because Rock was invented in the US, and what other rock bands play around the world can't be considered rock because they are not American... a pretty narrow-minded and almost racist attitude if you ask me...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
This seems to counteract the prevailing narrative among the hardcore Western anime fandom that Netflix not simulcasting their shows hurts their overall popularity if anime is still doing well for them under the binge watch model.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This seems to counteract the prevailing narrative among the hardcore Western anime fandom that Netflix not simulcasting their shows hurts their overall popularity if anime is still doing well for them under the binge watch model.

Not really. It's "up 100%," so it's still comparing binge watching to binge watching. "Up 100%" doesn't even mean "doing well" necessarily.
donhumberto wrote:
But for some reason a lot of anime fans seem unable to accept this. It's pretty much like saying that only American bands can play rock because Rock was invented in the US, and what other rock bands play around the world can't be considered rock because they are not American... a pretty narrow-minded and almost racist attitude if you ask me...

No, it's like "American music is produced in America, from a range of genres. Other countries have their own musical traditions, many of which predate America's, and making something in a music genre that is popular in your country that happens to pull from America's music culture (because all culture pulls from other culture) doesn't mean you're making American music. You're making your own country's music."

The definition of anime that Netflix wants to push means that 90% of the shows I'm watching that are covered on this site aren't anime. Japan didn't invent animation, and they didn't invent animated story-telling. Anime is just the Japanese word for the medium, which is used in America to reference animated works that come from that entertainment culture. It's not racist to try to use the definition the term has had just because a big company wants to change it for marketing purposes.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:

No, an apt comparison would be if you said 'American' Rock was invented/done in America, would you still say rock elsewhere should be called 'American Rock'?

Japan didn't invent animation. But the animation they do there is generally called anime. It might become clearer if you replaced 'anime' with 'Japanese Animation' as in the example above...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3