• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jujutsu Kaisen Manga's Circulation Jumped 235% After Anime's Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Seems the anime boost has been successful.
Brook09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:56 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

If only all anime productions went this route, with having an awesome anime adaption like jujutsu kaisen or demon slayer.

Like it's so obvious fans are willing to spend money on a product which has heart and sweat into it than a product that butchers the manga like tokyo ghoul.

Like yeah the manga sales are gonna go up, but what if the adaption was really good, in my opinion the numbers would have been even higher.

The demon slayer effect with an awesome anima adaption is honestly the way production committess should think, the divident is glaringly evident.

Kudos to jujutsu kaisen and demon slayer. *Thumbs up*
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
Let's hope we get a 2nd season of the anime. I've become absolutely attached to this entire series and I love the voice acting.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:45 am Reply with quote
Brook09 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

If only all anime productions went this route, with having an awesome anime adaption like jujutsu kaisen or demon slayer.

Like it's so obvious fans are willing to spend money on a product which has heart and sweat into it than a product that butchers the manga like tokyo ghoul.

Like yeah the manga sales are gonna go up, but what if the adaption was really good, in my opinion the numbers would have been even higher.

The demon slayer effect with an awesome anima adaption is honestly the way production committess should think, the divident is glaringly evident.

Kudos to jujutsu kaisen and demon slayer. *Thumbs up*

For it to work as well as with those two cases, the source material must be both really good and easy to change into anime. If the manga is mediocre, or not a good fit to animate, putting lot of money and effort into anime may not result in proportional sales increase.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was expected seeing as how positive the reviews have been.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading the first chapter or two when I got my Viz account and not being super into it. I picked it up again after begrudgingly(Really! I dunno why, I didn't want to like it or something) watching the first episode of the anime, and then ended up binging the whole series. It's become one of my favorites.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The most interesting thing about all of this is that Jujutsu Kaisen is very close to surpassing HeroAca in circulation while being around for less time and having less anime.

Right now, Shonen Jump seems to be riding high in the darker shounen with three of their biggest recent successes (KnY, JJK and CSM) being darker urban fantasy. And while this has always had a place in Shounen Jump (see YYH and, to a lesser extent, Bleach) I can't help but notice that there's a lot of stylistic influence from Type-Moon on those series.
SWED

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
It seems quite some anime adaptations make manga skyrockets these last couple of years.

It just shows that anime and manga only gets more popular and popular.

One Piece did it in 2011 with 38m copies sold due to anime (even tho it was out for a decade already)

KnY did it in 2020 with 82m copies sold
These 2 have almost a decade of difference between their all-time high, however KnY has had same success of One Piece back in 2011, but this time in 2020. Goes to show how many more people have entered in this industry compared to back in 2011, and how it reflects the sales.

And now manga's that get good adaptations are also skyrocketing.
Great to see.

Just wish Kingdom has a full anime adaptation that doesn't use CGI.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1