• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Redo of Healer Anime Simulcast Discontinued in Germany

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBeron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote
It is notable to say, that neither Crunchyroll and Anime on Demand, nor Wakanim wanted to do a Simulcast for/with them. All of the 3 have partnered up with animoon (they are only doing disc releases themselves) for simulcasting.

Last edited by TheBeron on Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
LOL it looks like it's happening the same thing as with Interspecies Reviewers that wound up being canceled from a lot of anime distributors.
TheBeron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:20 am Reply with quote
Funny thing: in Germany we did not only have Interspecies Reviewers as a Simulcast, it will get a dubbed disc Release this summer. The same Steaming service Wakanim now refuses to air Redo of Healer. animoon tried their best to find a streaming partner.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:29 am Reply with quote
I mean, considering the source material's content, is it really that big of a surprise???
topgun97

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
Do anime distributors know the content of the anime that they will be simulcasting? If so, then shouldn't they know about the nature of Redo? I don't believe Crunchyroll or Funimation licensed this anime due to its very obvious explicit nature. If simulcasters know that an anime they will be simulcasting might cause huge sparks of controversy then maybe they shouldn't simulcast it in the first place. It's irritating when they pull out of this halfway through, like with Interspecies Reviewers. But in the latter case, even in Japan that anime was getting taken from various TV stations so it can be overlooked.
Milzn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
This was licensed by Sentai, so i do not know how will they do. We will see
GeorgH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
TheBeron wrote:
Funny thing: in Germany we did not only have Interspecies Reviewers as a Simulcast, it will get a dubbed disc Release this summer. The same Steaming service Wakanim now refuses to air Redo of Healer. animoon tried their best to find a streaming partner.

Well: Both Blu-rays, Interspecies Reviewers and Redo of Healer, are just announcements. Both haven't been approved by German censorship boards FSK - which is required to sell them on regular retail stores or Amazon.
(selling it in special shops without approval is allowed, but would end up in low sales and thus the company losing money)

Regarding the simulcast:
Nobody likes censored Anime. And whilest Wakanim got Interspecies Reviewers almost for free (due to Funimation partnership), Animoon would have asked them to pay for Redo of Healer streaming rights - whilest being able to provide censored free TV masters only (like on Hidive).
There is no point in paying $$$$$ for streaming rights, when many viewers will end up hating the service for censorship...

And it's not like Animoon wouldn't be able to create their own streaming service within a few days - e.g. using Vimeo.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 1 actually wasn't that bad, but episode 2 ramped things up dramatically. Not surprised this happened.

We'll see if Sentai holds out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:06 am Reply with quote
The CEO of Sentai and HiDive is credited as producer for several dozen of Hentai releases.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
I think Sentai will hold out only if because they have no real choice. Crunchy/Sony has the lion’s share of simulcasts and they lack Netflix capital to make shows whole cloth. Milking the outrage is their best chance at success.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, episode 1 actually wasn't that bad, but episode 2 ramped things up dramatically. Not surprised this happened.

I think sentai knew what it was getting into when the licensed it.

Unlike interspecies reviewers the original manga adaption never actual had those well...'Provocative scenes'' in it, it was actually the animators who decided to add them as in the manga it was only described in the reviews what they did.

This series however both the ln and manga go way and i really mean way into deep and depraved scenes that it would be basically impossible now to know unless someone really did just license it without thinking.

Well we shall see, i can tell you this, this series will definitely gain infamouy as one of the darkest series ever made as the story goes along without spoiling anything.

Last edited by Thespacemaster on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Nayrael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I mean, considering the source material's content, is it really that big of a surprise???

It shouldn't be: common sense says that you will at least check what you will be streaming. A quick google search of this work would have immediately told them what they are in for.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
The article is actually worded in a misleading way.

The show was never in simulcast in Germany at all. Animoon simply did not find any streaming service willing to take on the title. You can't "discontinue" a streaming release that never actually happened.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

GeorgH wrote:
The CEO of Sentai and HiDive is credited as producer for several dozen of Hentai releases.

I don't think this really indicates anything. Just because one of his companies released hentai on DVD (including a lot of hentai that glamorizes rape), doesn't mean that a different company will be willing to continue streaming a non-hentai anime that glamorizes rape.

Softcel was created specifically to be a sort of sandbox allowing the group to release hentai, without having that hentai associated with the more mainstream brand. Certainly fans and industry know that the companies are closely linked, but there's a reason you'll never see a Sentai logo on a Softcel release.

Redo is a very different beast from hentai, and the HiDive brand is now associated with the title. I assume they knew exactly what they were licensing and will stay the course as a result. But it's possible that either they didn't realize what they had licensed, or the controversy might make them rethink the title.

-t
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote
It got discontinued??? But why??? It's such heart-warming, family-friendly material!!!

Whoa, got a little woozy there from sarcasm overdose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4