• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical, Kodansha Comics Change Names on Social Media, Get New Homepage

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:10 am Reply with quote
Man, the new design is ugly, and their new icon is lazy. It's like a high-end jeans store.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote
Yay, now we get mismatched spines for all their ongoing titles.
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:

exactly my thought... Aside from the logo change and some internal changes this doesn't really change anything else for the consumers...
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote
xerox-guy wrote:
Man, the new design is ugly, and their new icon is lazy. It's like a high-end jeans store.

As long as they keep publishing interesting stuff who cares about this...
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:56 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Yeah... I have a feeling this might bother me more than it probably should. I know it bothers me quite a bit when it comes to some of my Dark Horse releases that changed from their more subtle logo use to the big, black, bulky logo, and to some smaller degrees when I go from DelRay to Kodansha.

It's not as thought I'll stop buying any of the series I still am because of the spines. But I do think I'll be looking at them and sighing a bit because they'll look mismatched.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:20 am Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't mean changes in how Vertical books get printed. Kodansha Comics tends to have some of the worst print quality in English-language manga (pricey collector's editions notwithstanding), while Vertical has some of the best. Sure, it would be nice to have the logos on my copies of Ajin and With a Dog AND a Cat, Every Day is Fun to be consistent, but I'm much more worried about the physical books themselves.
meronichan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
After a few years of collecting, I now own nearly all of Vertical's fiction novels. So as long as they don't stop publishing full-length novels I don't care. I have zero interest in most light novels which seem to be the majority of a lot of publishing companies' translations these days.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
My first thought was about the mismatching spines to come as well. Hopefully it's just a small change.

Also, that new logo isn't great. You can't tell what it is when you first look at it. Not sure why they didn't just stick with something that clearly looks like a K
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1