• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Ninja Resurrection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The easiest way to seemingly get interested in a property that's on a hiatus (Rise of the TMNT ended a few months ago with little fanfare outside of Western animation enthusiasts who thought the show didn't get a fair shake) is a retro game. And fair play, this looks pretty good. Yes, I have fond memories of the Turtles arcade games, even if it's clear Turtles in Time is the clearly superior product. So hopefully the end result is a fun time a few friends can play on a screen with a pizza on hand.

Now all we need is a proper Masters of the Universe beat-em-up as soon as Mattel is sure Dreamworks is nowhere near the property. Maybe a 2D Voltron shooter once WEP is sure of the same lack of Dreamworks.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:57 pm Reply with quote
TMNT: It's funny how, even though we recognize old school arcade games as unfair quarter munchers with simplistic gameplay, our nostalgia still yearns to return to them. I'm 100% guilty, as I grew up with TMNT so this announcement is something I'm all over. I just hope it adds some modern design sensibilities and dimension to gameplay, and isn't too retro for the wrong reasons like the recent Cyber Shadow.

Senran Kagura: I know nothing about this franchise other than that it exists & its reputation. The premise for the crossover with Hyperdimension Neptunia sounds fun though.

MS / Bethesda: It's probably going to be a solid 3-4 years before we see anything really meaningful come of this as far as exclusives go because of everything detailed. Definitely a long play. Remember when MS gobbled up all those exclusive dev studios? Still haven't seen much from all those acquisitions.

Skullgirls: Happy to see Skullgirls live on & free itself from all the Lab Zero baggage.

KOF XV: Yuri proving once again how SNK has stepped up with animation & personality, which is what XIV was sorely lacking. Also, everyone is happy she got her braids back. Still betting on the Bogard Birthday next week, but after that I'm out of the prediction game since SNK has proven they are not necessarily holding themselves to any order to keep us guessing. Next few weeks of reveals are going to be particularly fun.

GBVS: It's an interesting case for me. I play mainly because friends do, but since I don't have any attachment to the characters I'm not compelled to outright buy the season passes and instead pick and choose. That said, compared to who could have been chosen, I have found S2 of GBVS to very underwhelming overall and you can add Eustice to that list. Also, with StrIVe on the way it's going to be really hard to bring me back unless one of the following gets added: Sigfried, Feather, or Nicholas Robomi. The chances of any of them getting that final slot? Next to 0; last character is gonna be a waifu.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Any Senran Kagura news is good news for me. While I'm holding for Se7en, I'm also praying for the day there's a full fledged Senran Kagura x Ikkitousen game since it's a crossover that fits so well together.

I hope the Neptunia crossover plays and performs (sales-wise) well to warrant more Senran Kagura content.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
-TMNT: Ah, bringing us in once again. Hopefully this is better than that godawful Turtles in Time remake Ubisoft tried years back.

The only other big news this week has been the Monster Hunter Rise demo. Been trying to take on Magnamalo and the guy is just too damn hard. At the very least the fight isn't a slog (it's only fifteen minutes), but still CAPCOM, you're just being sadistic with this one. The Rampage missions also look cool and the ability to customize movesets with Switch skills brings to mind Generations. Looking to be the best Monster Hunter yet. Now I just need some info on collaboration quests, because we all know they're coming.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The easiest way to seemingly get interested in a property that's on a hiatus (Rise of the TMNT ended a few months ago with little fanfare outside of Western animation enthusiasts who thought the show didn't get a fair shake) is a retro game. And fair play, this looks pretty good. Yes, I have fond memories of the Turtles arcade games, even if it's clear Turtles in Time is the clearly superior product. So hopefully the end result is a fun time a few friends can play on a screen with a pizza on hand.

Rise had such an ugly and unappealing art style and design. Somehow it looked even worse than the CG series before it. A new 2D TMNT cartoon in this style would be cool, even though I much prefer the comics/2003 series tone rather than yet another 80s series emulation.

The game itself looks fine. I mean, pixel art beat-em-ups have pretty much been bog standard in the indie scene for the past decade so I'm sure it'll be competent if not derivative. You'd have to go out of your way to mess the genre up at this point.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When not even PlatinumGames can make a good Turtles game, you start to wonder if the license is cursed.

Ha I feel like that’s too harsh toward TMNT honestly. PlatinumGames had a notoriously awful run with licensed game development. The Legend of Korra game, Transformers Devastation, and of course TMNT Mutants In Manhattan. And it didn’t get much better when Scalebound was cancelled and Star Fox Zero ended up being so mediocre (though that was more on Shigeru Miyamoto). It just seemed like after Metal Gear Rising was such a success they thought they could coast by on that reputation. I guess publishers thought the same.
There’s a big reason Kamiya thanked Yoko Taro and Nier Automata for saving them after all. And honestly their part in that game is probably the worst thing about it. No one remembers Nier Automata for the combat.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Quote:
When not even PlatinumGames can make a good Turtles game, you start to wonder if the license is cursed.

Ha I feel like that’s too harsh toward TMNT honestly. PlatinumGames had a notoriously awful run with licensed game development. The Legend of Korra game, Transformers Devastation, and of course TMNT Mutants In Manhattan. And it didn’t get much better when Scalebound was cancelled and Star Fox Zero ended up being so mediocre (though that was more on Shigeru Miyamoto). It just seemed like after Metal Gear Rising was such a success they thought they could coast by on that reputation. I guess publishers thought the same.
There’s a big reason Kamiya thanked Yoko Taro and Nier Automata for saving them after all. And honestly their part in that game is probably the worst thing about it. No one remembers Nier Automata for the combat.

I wouldn’t throw Devastation in with that terrible Korra game. You could tell that the developers had zero craps to give about Avatar, but a healthy reverence for Transformers.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:53 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-TMNT: Ah, bringing us in once again. Hopefully this is better than that godawful Turtles in Time remake Ubisoft tried years back.
I still to this day have trouble understanding the rationale behind that decision. I mean, you're going to provide a remake of Turtles In Time without ANY of the original Konami development staff, and incorporate the 2003 series voice cast for the characters based on the 80's cartoon series when some characters from the 80's series never even appeared in the 2003 series???
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Really happy with the Skullgirls news, especially because I enjoy how Annie plays. She'll probably end up having a permanent spot on my team. Can't wait to see the remaining three characters.

I enjoyed the 3DS Senran Kagura games, but the series definitely lost me as it went on. The first one was kind of charming because it clearly had ambitions to be dramatic as well as fanservice, but it got sillier and sillier over time and became more generic and less interesting as a result. It doesn't help that the gameplay of the fully 3D ones just isn't as polished as it needs to be at this point.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Maybe a 2D Voltron shooter once WEP is sure of the same lack of Dreamworks.

You still won't let that go huh?

TranceLimit174 wrote:

KOF XV: Yuri proving once again how SNK has stepped up with animation & personality, which is what XIV was sorely lacking. Also, everyone is happy she got her braids back.

Not the fact that they she looks a little bit older instead of going back to the moe stuff like they did for her XIII design?

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

The game itself looks fine. I mean, pixel art beat-em-ups have pretty much been bog standard in the indie scene for the past decade so I'm sure it'll be competent if not derivative. You'd have to go out of your way to mess the genre up at this point.

Saturating the market with these kind of games is one way to mess it up.

Stelman257 wrote:

I remember it for the weirdness of having Schump mechanics despite being a hack & slash.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I still to this day have trouble understanding the rationale behind that decision. I mean, you're going to provide a remake of Turtles In Time without ANY of the original Konami development staff, and incorporate the 2003 series voice cast for the characters based on the 80's cartoon series when some characters from the 80's series never even appeared in the 2003 series???

Not really that difficult they were never going to get the original staff for the remake when it was being made by a completely different studio under a different publisher neither of which were based in Japan along with a good portion of the staff seemingly having not worked in the game industry since the 90's or the early part of this century. As for them using the 03 cast simple explanation with that is that the 2007 series was still on the air when the game came out so logically they went with them over the 80's cast.

OtherSideofSky wrote:

I enjoyed the 3DS Senran Kagura games, but the series definitely lost me as it went on. The first one was kind of charming because it clearly had ambitions to be dramatic as well as fanservice, but it got sillier and sillier over time and became more generic and less interesting as a result. It doesn't help that the gameplay of the fully 3D ones just isn't as polished as it needs to be at this point.

If we're being fair the 3DS games weren't all that polished themselves.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not really that difficult they were never going to get the original staff for the remake when it was being made by a completely different studio under a different publisher neither of which were based in Japan along with a good portion of the staff seemingly having not worked in the game industry since the 90's or the early part of this century. As for them using the 03 cast simple explanation with that is that the 2007 series was still on the air when the game came out so logically they went with them over the 80's cast.
It's bad logic. The '03 cast isn't the 80's cast. It didn't even work for the Turtles Forever special as the voice cast differences are practically night and day.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It's bad logic. The '03 cast isn't the 80's cast. It didn't even work for the Turtles Forever special as the voice cast differences are practically night and day.

The voice cast was admittedly the least of that special’s problems (the biggest being the insecurity and vindictiveness of the 03 writers bleeding from the screen).

The only other type of game I can think of for random properties that gets the same use as a retro pixel game is a Musou/Warriors spinoff, and they never use Western properties for those. So retro games it is.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I remember it for the weirdness of having Schump mechanics despite being a hack & slash.

Yoko Taro wanted more 3D shoot 'em up mechanics, but PlatinumGames only know how to do generic hack and slash so it ended up being a weird ass amalgamation of both. There's a reason Platinum aren't doing NieR Replicant my man.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:13 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It's bad logic. The '03 cast isn't the 80's cast.

Unless you were the hardest of the hardcore of the 87 series’s fanboys you wouldn’t have cared about that and considering the biggest complaints about Reshelled was the new music and being based off the arcade version of TiT no one cared all that much.

It would’ve been funny though if they had gotten the original actors for Reshelled though considering people would later complain about the added scenes in Ducktales Remastered which featured some of the original voice actors.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It didn't even work for the Turtles Forever special as the voice cast differences are practically night and day.

The characters from the 87 series in the special were not voiced by their original actors though. The 2012 series did get most of them for their crossover though.

Stelman257 wrote:

Yoko Taro wanted more 3D shoot 'em up mechanics, but PlatinumGames only know how to do generic hack and slash so it ended up being a weird ass amalgamation of both. There's a reason Platinum aren't doing NieR Replicant my man.

Aside from the fact that Replicant is a remaster of a game that came out exclusively for Japan over a decade ago and wasn’t made by them originally?

Interesting take though.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:36 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Unless you were the hardest of the hardcore of the 87 series’s fanboys you wouldn’t have cared about that and considering the biggest complaints about Reshelled was the new music and being based off the arcade version of TiT no one cared.
People cared. They just knew it wouldn't have made a difference in the end as the game had already gone to market so they didn't speak up about it. I'm only acknowledging this now considering it's already been years after the fact and the dust has settled.
Quote:
The characters from the 87 series in the special were not voiced by the original actors though.
Exactly! And 4Kids didn't feel it was worth the extra time and effort to get Cam Clarke, Rob Paulsen, Townsend Coleman, and Barry Gordon back to reprise their roles which was typical of their business practices and the audience was expected to deal with it all the same.

As for the Revenge of Shredder game itself, I'm hyped for it but I'm hoping that it will hold the same charm that Turtles in Time held. The TMNT games were fantastic in the beat-em-up genre and I would love to see if Revenge of Shredder will be worthy to take its place among Turtles In Time and Hyperstone Heist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2