• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muv-Luv Alternative Anime's 2nd Promo Unveils Cast, Staff

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this is going to include the plot points from Muv-Luv Extra and Unlimited in it. Alternative is good, but they'll have to get real creative to make this work since it's the third part in a trilogy.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
I can't believe this is real. You need like 50 episodes at least to make it work.
Millhi

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
I've been laughing at the animation production companies since they announced them, all 3 are related to Graphinica. Flagship Line is a joint between Graphinica and Avex Pictures. Yuumeta company (old hal maker/TYO) is now a sub of Graphinica and then there's Graphinica themselves also listed.

either way the character designs for the anime being pretty different then the style in the games is an interesting choice although I do like them. (so is the recasting of the cast)
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:

either way the character designs for the anime being pretty different then the style in the games is an interesting choice although I do like them. (so is the recasting of the cast)

This is what leads me to having little hope for this. I really enjoyed the old cast in my play-through of Extra + Unlimited (still haven't gotten to Alternative because laziness!). Cutting out Extra and Unlimited just removes a lot of the weight of events that occur in Alternative from my understanding (most of which comes from the manga). The new character designs just don't mesh with me at all. They're too circular and seem like generic characters. It's as if they've lost some aspects of their character silhouettes -- Meiya's iconic hair vents, Sumika's gigantic ribbon and hair antenna. And Takeru... granted he's meant to be a generic MC, he just feels extra 2020 levels of generic now.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
I have a good feeling the "recast" may just be the original VAs under pseudonyms, but either way this seems like an interesting proposition. I hope they do get this right and give the story a chance to breath & get more episodes down the line.

It's a little disconcerting we haven't seen any character animation highlighted yet... Hope this isn't a bad omen of things to come.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
>new character designs, not even the Photonflowers/melodies character designs
>getting rid of GP02A hair
>recasts out the butt
>didn't even get the colors on the uniforms right

Meiya's VA I get since it was basically her only real big role but Hoshi (who just showed up in Higarushi) and Taguichi too? That's dissapointing since the animation doesn't really look any better than Total Eclipse and that was almost a decade ago. I always wanted to hear Hoshi do Takeru fully in Alt.

spoiler[Surprise me. Make all this stuff being wrong a plot point.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, the TSF's look good but that's kind of just one part of it.

I'm kind of surprised they're recasting considering how iconic the VA's from the VN are. Like, even Satoshi Hino? I guess they want to go for fresher and younger seiyuu, but it just feels off for an adaption of something so historic. What's next, remaking all of Muv-Luv (the visual novel) with the anime cast?
MisaoFan
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
I have a good feeling the "recast" may just be the original VAs under pseudonyms

They aren't, they're just a bunch of different seiyuus (using real names are a requirement when participating in non-H media like anime) from the previous cast.
Millhi

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:

This is what leads me to having little hope for this. I really enjoyed the old cast in my play-through of Extra + Unlimited (still haven't gotten to Alternative because laziness!). Cutting out Extra and Unlimited just removes a lot of the weight of events that occur in Alternative from my understanding (most of which comes from the manga). The new character designs just don't mesh with me at all. They're too circular and seem like generic characters. It's as if they've lost some aspects of their character silhouettes -- Meiya's iconic hair vents, Sumika's gigantic ribbon and hair antenna. And Takeru... granted he's meant to be a generic MC, he just feels extra 2020 levels of generic now.

It's hard to see from the promo image but the ahoge is still there albeit halved in size. Her ribbon gone is a big shame yeah. Same for meiya's hair vents. There's probably a reason why they're designed like this.

I should also finish replaying the game already.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Well, the TSF's look good but that's kind of just one part of it.

I'm kind of surprised they're recasting considering how iconic the VA's from the VN are. Like, even Satoshi Hino? I guess they want to go for fresher and younger seiyuu, but it just feels off for an adaption of something so historic. What's next, remaking all of Muv-Luv (the visual novel) with the anime cast?
Well, maybe that is the direction they're going to go? I know they're doing a remake of the Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien VN. It's been 15 years so maybe they're just trying to start fresh. A shame since, like you said, the originals are iconic.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
I have a good feeling the "recast" may just be the original VAs under pseudonyms, but either way this seems like an interesting proposition.

Sumikas new voice actress is a known person who has a DoB as 1999 on her Profile, which woulda made her 4 years old in the original. Really doubt that.
sneakysnake128

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:57 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see the characters got a visual upgrade

/s
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:55 am Reply with quote
I'm very disappointed they didn't return the cast. I'll give this adaptation a try but I'm worried it won't turn out well.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:42 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Minami Kuribayashi will get any OP or ED tracks?

Muv-Luv OST: 遥なる地球の歌

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okowwP3KpoE
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:29 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
I have a good feeling the "recast" may just be the original VAs under pseudonyms

Much as I like a wild rumor, the new cast appeared in Saturday's livestream to make a few remarks (starting at 2:16:56), and jeez do they look young. Also, while Sumika's original voice actress Hiroko Taguchi remains active (her Twitter account even has a Sumika avatar), Meiya's voice actress Kazumi Okushima has apparently long since retired from the industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2