• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams New Shaman King Anime on August 9

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote
If theirs an English dub either they’re getting the old 4kids cast back (though Ren and Jun need to drop the British accents, they’re supposed to be Chinese) or we get an entirely new cast from LA
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad we finally have a release date for Shaman King and I guess since it’s coming out in August they’re going to split it up every 12 episodes.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Very excited for this, even if it's going to be broken up into seasons.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
If theirs an English dub either they’re getting the old 4kids cast back (though Ren and Jun need to drop the British accents, they’re supposed to be Chinese)

So? A number of my Hong Konger relatives speak with a British accent when they speak English. Seems fine. Do you complain about all the characters who are supposed to be Japanese who speak English with an American accent?
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Happy we finally have a release date. Curious to see what ends up happening with the dub, but I imagine I'll be watching it subbed either way. (Already a fan of the Japanese '01 cast, most of which have reprised)
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
If theirs an English dub either they’re getting the old 4kids cast back (though Ren and Jun need to drop the British accents, they’re supposed to be Chinese) or we get an entirely new cast from LA

They should get rid of all the stupid accents. Tokagero and Ryu having bad Latino accents made even less sense. Also even though Ren and Jun had bad British accents, Lyserg who is actually from London sounds American.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
All these August announcements but no hard date for Beastars S2 in July?
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Glad we don't have to wait until September 2021 for the Shaman King reboot given that most of the Anime licensed by Netflix take 5-6 months to air on the service worldwide.

Anyways since the announcement comes following the release of Episode 11 it's safe to say they are starting work on the English dub. Now as to which recording studio is doing Shaman King 2021 it's hard to say but I would love if NYAV Post or especially Studiopolis to dub this show mainly the latter since I haven't seen Netflix utilize them as much for their anime series outside of the dubs of Baki, Ultraman and Dino Girl Gauko. The large cast of characters would lend well for a NYAV Post and/or Studiopolis, I'm excited to who they will cast in the dub, and I bet Tara Sands will return to voice Anna.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Glad we don't have to wait until September 2021 for the Shaman King reboot given that most of the Anime licensed by Netflix take 5-6 months to air on the service worldwide.

Anyways since the announcement comes following the release of Episode 11 it's safe to say they are starting work on the English dub. Now as to which recording studio is doing Shaman King 2021 it's hard to say but I would love if NYAV Post or especially Studiopolis to dub this show mainly the latter since I haven't seen Netflix utilize them as much for their anime series outside of the dubs of Baki, Ultraman and Dino Girl Gauko. The large cast of characters would lend well for a NYAV Post and/or Studiopolis, I'm excited to who they will cast in the dub, and I bet Tara Sands will return to voice Anna.

NYAV Post probably has the best chance of bringing back some of the old cast.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
theNightster wrote:

They should get rid of all the stupid accents. Tokagero and Ryu having bad Latino accents made even less sense. Also even though Ren and Jun had bad British accents, Lyserg who is actually from London sounds American.

Would it be a bit much to ask that the Native American characters like Silva and Kalim actually have Native American accents?
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

NYAV Post probably has the best chance of bringing back some of the old cast.

Honestly, I realistically see Tara Sands, Veronica Taylor and Michael Sinterniklaas returning as Anna, Tamao Tamamura, and Horohoro respectively if Studiopolis or NYAV Post dubs the 2021 Shaman King reboot, mainly the former. However, If NYAV Post does the 2021 series then I could also see Erica Schroeder and Marc Thompson returning as Lyserg and Johann Faust VIII respectively given that they are regulars at the studio so we could have 5 returning cast members from the 4Kids dub of Shaman King for the dub of the Shaman King 2021 series.

The only ones I don't see returning are Sebastian Arcelus (Yoh Asakura) and Andrew Rannells (Tao Ren) given that they have become mainstream on-camera actors regardless if the former wants to express interest in returning to voice Yoh, but they're unlikely to appear in the dub. Not sure about Sean Schemmel, cause although he did make an appearance in MARS Red anime this year I haven't seen him done too much anime dubbing lately unless if it's from the Dragon Ball or Pokemon franchises which seem to be the only anime series he tends to do dubs for these days especially the former.

At the end of the day, it will depend on which recording studio Netflix will utilize for the 2021 reboot and whether they are asked to return and audition. I still would like for Studiopolis to dub the show since they can utilize a whole variety of voice actors compared to the other recording studios in LA (e.g. Bang Zoom!, VSI Los Angeles) and Netflix hasn't utilized Studiopolis lately beyond the Baki, Ultraman and Dino Girl Gauko dubs and seem to be content on outsourcing their anime to SDI Media/Spliced Bread, Bang Zoom! or VSI Los Angeles especially the former two.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

Would it be a bit much to ask that the Native American characters like Silva and Kalim actually have Native American accents?

Don't most native Americans speak unaccented english and if they do speak the dialect common to the area they were raised in?
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this gets an English dub!
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
I really hope this gets an English dub!

This is licensed by Netflix, of course it’s guaranteed to have a dub.
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:42 am Reply with quote
It should also get a german dub, I hope. It would be a lot of fun if the voice actors could return there too, but who knows.
Either way, it will be a lot of fun to watch it with my friends who watched it back then too!
It will also be fun to introduce it to my friends that don't know it yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2