• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Space Battleship Yamato 2205 Film Posts Extended Teaser

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
And here I thought the Yamato 2202 movies being massive letdown compared to 2199 put a end to this remake.
Junovm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote
Hopefully its a lot better than 2202, the director made it into a travesty.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:32 am Reply with quote
I haven't gotten to 2202 yet. What makes it so bad?
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:37 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

It's more plot driven, than character driven. I don't hate the first half of the series, because it explores some interesting ideas, but the second half is just a complete mess. Battles go on waaay too long and sometimes eat up multiple episodes.

spoiler[One episode in particular has characters killed off so quickly it almost feels like a montage, which is a horrible way to kill characters that you care about. The dumbest thing to happen in the show, is when the villains trick a character into helping them by giving him a cure to a disease his child has. When the Gatlantians give the people of Earth the cure, I laughed out loud; they basically say "people of Earth, here's the cure for cancer, we're going to give it to you out of respect, 12 hours before we destroy your world". The fact that a character could be this stupid really does say something. Also the less said about the final episode of 2022, the better; I honestly can't remember a thing that happened. It is literally one of the strangest episodes to any anime I've seen before. Gatlantis is boring as well, all these guys care about is killing people and proving that deep down everyone is evil. I really hate when villains are simply evil for the sake of being evil; that might have been around in the 80's or whenever the original was made, but not now. Anyway sorry for the long post, hope this helped. ]
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:29 am Reply with quote
Junovm wrote:

I think was less the director and more the writer he was given.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Junovm wrote:

I think was less the director and more the writer he was given.

I hope, because the lack of character driven stories really had a massive effect on the story.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

It's more plot driven, than character driven. I don't hate the first half of the series, because it explores some interesting ideas, but the second half is just a complete mess. Battles go on waaay too long and sometimes eat up multiple episodes.

spoiler[One episode in particular has characters killed off so quickly it almost feels like a montage, which is a horrible way to kill characters that you care about. The dumbest thing to happen in the show, is when the villains trick a character into helping them by giving him a cure to a disease his child has. When the Gatlantians give the people of Earth the cure, I laughed out loud; they basically say "people of Earth, here's the cure for cancer, we're going to give it to you out of respect, 12 hours before we destroy your world". The fact that a character could be this stupid really does say something. Also the less said about the final episode of 2022, the better; I honestly can't remember a thing that happened. It is literally one of the strangest episodes to any anime I've seen before. Gatlantis is boring as well, all these guys care about is killing people and proving that deep down everyone is evil. I really hate when villains are simply evil for the sake of being evil; that might have been around in the 80's or whenever the original was made, but not now. Anyway sorry for the long post, hope this helped. ]

I also felt like they handled the female cast less effectively than 2199 did, beyond writing out a lot of the original female characters they introduced in 2199, although it looks like most of them will be back to prominence here.

The less said about Yuki's arc, the better.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:02 am Reply with quote
Hm... that's disappointing. 2202 was one of those shows I'd been keeping on deck in my backlog, waiting to savor, anticipating that it'd be as good as 2199.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Hm... that's disappointing. 2202 was one of those shows I'd been keeping on deck in my backlog, waiting to savor, anticipating that it'd be as good as 2199.

to sum up 2202: Power of Love
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1