• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BEASTARS Season 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyletv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
*****censored*****

Last edited by Skyletv on Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Only if you pirated it Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Ah BEASTARS, or as I like to call it for my non anime fans, "R rated Zootopia". Looking forward to the reviews!

Quote:
Only if you pirated it Smile
We here at ANN don't pirate licensed content. At least that's my rule. If the Hajime no Ippo manga ever gets licensed woo boy is my wallet going to hurt.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
I had never heard of Llamas with hats until just now.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Spoiler tag for a general discussion of the plot overall since I binge watched of course, but I'm really disappointed in spoiler[how Haru and Juno were handled in this season. Juno, who had ambitions of being Beastar, now just sits back and does nothing except lust over Legoshi and make a random comment about being pro-segregation? They teased at her heaving some weird feelings a la Legoshi towards Louis and even Haru, but then just ... dropped it?! And Haru seems to do nothing except mess with Legoshi about how "ehh maybe I'm not so interested in you after all and I'll get another boyfriend" .... the Lion Mafia shounen training arc / eating bugs crap was all way, WAY less interesting than the interpersonal romantic / predator-prey stuff in the first season :/ Oh well.]
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Spoiler tag for a general discussion of the plot overall since I binge watched of course, but I'm really disappointed in spoiler[how Haru and Juno were handled in this season. Juno, who had ambitions of being Beastar, now just sits back and does nothing except lust over Legoshi and make a random comment about being pro-segregation? They teased at her heaving some weird feelings a la Legoshi towards Louis and even Haru, but then just ... dropped it?! And Haru seems to do nothing except mess with Legoshi about how "ehh maybe I'm not so interested in you after all and I'll get another boyfriend" .... the Lion Mafia shounen training arc / eating bugs crap was all way, WAY less interesting than the interpersonal romantic / predator-prey stuff in the first season :/ Oh well.]

Yeah, had a similar interpretation but at least it's like spoiler[the male characters are treated like godtier in contrast which seems something that Kirito gets to be treated in anime. The fatherly bond between Ibuki and Lois was really sweet for a change so much puberty commentary. They get a really tragic ending especially if you watch the full ending video. The thing that bothered me was the anticlimatic finale we had.]
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Is it bad that Legoshi is my spirit animal even when I'm well into my 30's? I want Jack to be my spirit animal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
conflicts that make life hard for young people of any stripe.

Heh, I see what you did there. Smile

I really loved how they did the fight scene in episode 4. The outlines in the darkness really communicated how Legosi was perceiving everything without sight, as well as just being artistically beautiful to look at. And yes, Jack is just the Goodest Boy ever. Very Happy

I can't say I like how the script has essentially written Haru out of the story, with Legosi's "protect you from afar" stance. I realize there's a lot it needs to get done in 12 episodes, but I wish they hadn't had to sideline her to accomplish that. She was a lot of the best fun in the first season, and her cheeky, don't-give-a-feck attitude is sorely needed to offset some of the testosterone (you know it's bad when even Pina complained about it). Wink

And boy oh boy is Pina something! No one better to voice him than Yuuki Kaji, reprising his arrogantly twerpy Mei Narumiya from Ace of Diamond. Fun fact: Dall sheep are not bighorn sheep. They're a different species, classified as thinhorn sheep.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the kind of guy who'll accidentally call out one girl's name while he's horns-deep in another

Well. That's quite the image... Shocked lol
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote
FWIW, you could have watched it on Japanese Netflix with a VPN... I mean, you wouldn't understand it if you aren't fluent in Japanese, but you could have watched it.

I think Beastars is a low-key masterpiece, even though it's....weird.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is the animation a LOT more better and consistent this season?
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how the reviewer is going to react to spoiler[the revelation of the killer. It made me wonder if Itagaki was citing Edgar Allan Poe when writing such character. ]
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I wonder how the reviewer is going to react to spoiler[the revelation of the killer. It made me wonder if Itagaki was citing Edgar Allan Poe when writing such character. ]

This is actually one of the few series where I read the manga well before watching the anime, so I'm not going to be surprised by anything in that regard, outside of any anime original changes or additions that the show might make.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
This also reminded me of the famous revelation of the Armored Titan. Still, I was superconfused when watching Twin Peaks
battle-arc-fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Reams of (western) analysis was written about the significance of the cross imagery in Neon Genesis Evangelion, but when someone finally had the chance to ask Hideaki Anno about it, he stated that his main motivation was along the lines of "I thought it looked cool." Ghost In The Shell? Same deal. While Masamune Shirow did have some ideas to explore, they were secondary to his love of drawing guns, robots and beautiful women. (Maybe he was just a lot better at making us think that there was something deeper going on than was, say, Izuru Yumizuru of Infinite Stratos?) And the metaphysical musings that Mamoru Oshii added to the film adaptations had a lot to do with Oshii's belief that he is a reincarnated basset hound.

With that in mind, do we have any idea what Paru Itagaki's actual authorial intent on Beastars is? I get that her always wearing a chicken mask at public events may make asking direct questions along these lines difficult, but I have read where she does ever so politely try to downplay comparisons between her Beastars and Zootopia as well as the corollaries between its themes and western - TBF American - intersectionality politics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2