• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Babylon 2021 Studio GoHands Sues King Records for 450 Million Yen Over Canceled Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
450 million yen for a 2 cour anime. Wonder if it is relatively high or low. The producers must have really wanted to clean their hands off this one if they initially wanted to continue then dropped the show even if the studio had 13 completed episodes though they should pay the remaining for the 1st 13.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote
They should pay for the first 13 episodes completely because they have been finished. It's sad that there's 13 episodes out there, that we will never see. Hopefully they'll leak one day.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:25 am Reply with quote
It's worth nothing that the 13 episodes worth of animation may not have been ready for viewing. The anime studio may have delivered its work on the 13 episodes, but the animation may not have had all the dialogue, sound effects, music, or other elements of post-production added yet.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
If they never signed a contract for the second cour, do they even have the right to sue for the payment? Especially since those episodes weren't even finished. Are they even in a position to sue considering the massive amounts of plagerism that have been found in both TB 2021 and their other works?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
If they never signed a contract for the second cour, do they even have the right to sue for the payment? Especially since those episodes weren't even finished. Are they even in a position to sue considering the massive amounts of plagerism that have been found in both TB 2021 and their other works?

Work was done on the initial 13 episodes, and people still need to be paid for that. A character designer in GoHands overlooking the plagiarism in designs does not mean that the work of the in-betweeners, production desk, etc. shouldn't be paid for their work.

Egan Loo wrote:

It's worth nothing that the 13 episodes worth of animation may not have been ready for viewing. The anime studio may have delivered its work on the 13 episodes, but the animation may not have had all the dialogue, sound effects, music, or other elements of post-production added yet.

The Crunchyroll article (on the same topic) stated that the 13 episodes were finished. Not sure why CR's version would say that it is finished if that is without post-production. See here: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/08/05-1/gohands-sues-king-records-for-unpaid-production-costs-on-the-cancelled-tokyo-babylon-2021-anime

Last edited by Ermat_46 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
Well, this is becoming a right mess...
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

Work was done on the initial 13 episodes, and people still need to be paid for that. A character designer in GoHands overlooking the plagiarism in designs does not mean that the work of the in-betweeners, production desk, etc. shouldn't be paid for their work.

I understand that, but the article states
Quote:
GoHands is suing not only for the remaining 281.6 million yen (about US$2.57 million) under the contract, but also for 171.82 million yen (about US$1.57 million) for episodes 14 to 21. (According to the lawsuit, GoHands and King Records had not yet formally signed a contract for these later episodes.)

I don't understand why they're suing for payment for episodes 14-21 when those weren't finished and they weren't under contract for them. Maybe it's a situation where you just sue for as much as you can and the judge decides what you actually get, I'm not sure how these things work

Last edited by MagicPolly on Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
merr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

The studio is responsible for paying those staff, not the production committee. The animators were likely all paid at the time their work was being completed. The studio is suing to recover losses, which includes money spent on production, i.e., wages.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:

The Crunchyroll article (on the same topic) stated that the 13 episodes were finished. Not sure why CR's version would say that it is finished if that is without post-production. See here: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/08/05-1/gohands-sues-king-records-for-unpaid-production-costs-on-the-cancelled-tokyo-babylon-2021-anime

Because that site's article assumed too much. The original Japanese text read, "13話分を納品。" The text did not say the 13 episodes completed post-production, and GoHands would not necessarily be responsible for several phases of post-production.
kuma991

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
Considering their track record of works that are unbearable to look at, and also in light of this attempt to recover losses of expenses already paid (presumably, they don't pay their animators and staff upon actual air date), I'd say it's time to call it a day for GoHands.
Nothing of value has been lost.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
GoHands is a terrible animation studio anyway. Their anime looks so ugly and the plot is absolutely terrible.

However, I think GoHands is right to sue King Records for not paying them even though they already done 13 episodes.

I kind of want the anime to see the light of day, even though it is GoHands...
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
Glad to see exact numbers associated with the episode count. It does suggest generally speaking that without $2 million, you essentially cannot produce even one cour of anime.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quite a sh*tstorm. But it does seem that King Records should pay out on a completed contract if the work was delivered, more-so because Go Hands was apparently willing to correct the problems. The decision did seem very drastic at the time. And the payment for the second cour is probably for work done. By the time of the cancellation, no doubt work had proceeded on the reasonable assumption that the second cour was going ahead. Go Hands’ track record is of NO consequence to the situation. King knew their work when they signed the contract. There are likely plenty of details that haven’t been released including King Records’ side of the story, but it looks like Go Hands has a pretty strong argument.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

I don't understand why they're suing for payment for episodes 14-21 when those weren't finished and they weren't under contract for them. Maybe it's a situation where you just sue for as much ass you can and the judge decides what you actually get, I'm not sure how these things work

Sometimes you can successfully collect on something like that under the idea that if the other side didn't break the contract, you would have had those future payments. Personally, I've always thought that was pretty presumptuous, and I doubt it will work here. The general rule with anime tends to be that you don't assume that a deal is happening until it has happened. The production could have gone smoothly and aired as planned, and King still could have decided it didn't want more episodes, so I'd be pretty surprised if GoHands got anything for that part.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quick query on the citation of the newspaper: wouldn't one state "Asahi Shimbun" rather than just "Asahi"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3