• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Too Many Anime Spoils the Broth

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r4737

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:52 am Reply with quote
I think with the increase in demand for more anime and the lack of animators, anime studios have to create a better work environment to be able to attract animators.
Like Mappa Studios, which has created good working conditions for newcomers to hire (https://r-nkym.fanbox.cc/posts/2623524), and JC Staff, which has a bad track record, recently explained the studio's working conditions:
producer JC Staff Atsushi Fujishiro: "Sure, if the time is close to delivery time, I may work late into the night, but I rarely stay up all night. There may be a picture in the world that the anime industry can't sleep for days, but recently the industry as a whole has changed due to the trend of style reform. Our usual time is from 10:00 to 19:00 and no matter how late we are, we close the company at 19:00."
Therefore, with the increasing demand for anime, it is the producers and directors of anime studios who have to change their working conditions, otherwise they will go bankrupt.
Stryfermon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:16 am Reply with quote
It must either be a smaller segment that demands more Anime, or as I see it just more new consumers of Anime that have increased compared to earlier. So that the core fanbase is a lot higher.

I find it hard to watch more Anime then I already do, since there is also games to play, comics/manga to read, live action series/movies and twitch to watch. Along with a social life as well. Smile
juaifan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote
Stryfermon wrote:
It must either be a smaller segment that demands more Anime, or as I see it just more new consumers of Anime that have increased compared to earlier. So that the core fanbase is a lot higher.

I find it hard to watch more Anime then I already do, since there is also games to play, comics/manga to read, live action series/movies and twitch to watch. Along with a social life as well. Smile

I'm the opposite, I've been watching more and more anime over the past few years because I've been losing interest in western media as I feel it's been sharply declining in quality and I rely on anime to pick up the slack to consume my time. I do like the fact I can watch multiple episodes of multiple anime a day since. It's only natural anime continues to grow and receive higher demand as more people get into it. At this point Japan's basically carrying a huge chunk of the world's entertainment on their shoulders because they're the only ones doing this stuff these days.
lordscales91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Studio president Manabu Otsuka has been dramatically ramping up the amount of shows produced at the studio since their 2017 slate. Instead of seeing overproduction as a problem, he sees it as an opportunity to create even more shows and grow the studio.

Yeah, sure it's easy to say that from his comfortable office chair. People like these are also part of the problem, because they could worry more for their employees and just stand up and say "No, we can't take any more load". But the are too busy counting their money.

I personally think it's better quality than quantity (and I'm not the only one, Kyoto Animation and ufotable think the same). This urge to produce more anime is bloating up the seasonal charts with mediocre and/or outright bad titles. In the last 2-3 years we've had the weakest seasons ever, with only a handful of promising titles out of the lot.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote
The biggest part of the problem is studio's are adapting material badly due to time/scheduling pressures or creating bland forgettable content just because they own the IP..

I'd rather see less shows per season and for them to be done well than have to sit through another mess like TPN 2 and WEP - both of which should have been excellent but fell on the rushed adaption + lack of resource sword. Or another Isekai Cheat Magician which was one of the blandest shows I've had to endure.

After all who needs umpteen instantly forgettable mediocre shows a season when I'd kill for a couple of top-notch shows a day over a season.

I mean this season is poor -
Mon - nothing much worth watching
Tue - Slime 2
Wed : Dragon maid S, goddess dormitory
Thu : Aquatrope, Sonny boy, Heion Sedai
Fri : Hamefura 2
Sat : BNHA, Iruma 2, Magica, Jahy-sama
Sun : One Piece, Kaizoku Oujo

13 shows - the rest I've dropped due to poor quality, poor adaptations or just being the worst thing ever "BLAND".
Apichua

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
You want to halt overproduction ? Just stop watching bad productions. Simple as that.
If producers start losing money because people won't watch half-finished animes, they will start to think about better schedules and better working conditions.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:
After all who needs umpteen instantly forgettable mediocre shows a season when I'd kill for a couple of top-notch shows a day over a season.

I'd argue having just a few top-notch shows a season would be even better. 13 good anime per season is already more than enough - I'm not watching even half of the ones you listed, because I simply don't have the time or energy. Actually, having just 13 shows in total every season sounds fantastic.
r4737

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:

I mean this season is poor -
Mon - nothing much worth watching
Tue - Slime 2
Wed : Dragon maid S, goddess dormitory
Thu : Aquatrope, Sonny boy, Heion Sedai
Fri : Hamefura 2
Sat : BNHA, Iruma 2, Magica, Jahy-sama
Sun : One Piece, Kaizoku Oujo

13 shows - the rest I've dropped due to poor quality, poor adaptations or just being the worst thing ever "BLAND".

You forgot "The Case Study of Vanitas"
In my opinion, this is the best anime this season
Excellent story and action

Erufailon4 wrote:
Penrhos wrote:

I'd argue having just a few top-notch shows a season would be even better. 13 good anime per season is already more than enough - I'm not watching even half of the ones you listed, because I simply don't have the time or energy. Actually, having just 13 shows in total every season sounds fantastic.

Do you think studios have extra money and time to make poor quality anime?
Who can determine if a anime is good or bad?
For example, when the "demon slayer" was being built, no one even imagined that it would achieve such success
Or even the anime "Your Name"
The success of an anime will be determined only after its production and distribution
Also anime that is not popular here may also be popular in Japan, for example Umamusume Pretty Derby, which broke the Blu-ray sales record in Japan, is not popular here at all.
So with all these topics, tell me how you can predict the success of an anime before making it?
Malsang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
lordscales91 wrote:
This urge to produce more anime is bloating up the seasonal charts with mediocre and/or outright bad titles. In the last 2-3 years we've had the weakest seasons ever, with only a handful of promising titles out of the lot.

While I agree that it seems like there is a colossal amount of dreck produced (cough isekai cough), I would sharply disagree with your latter statement that the seasons of the past 2-3 years have been weak. Last Spring was probably the strongest season we've had in the past ten years, with Odd Taxi, Nomad, Vivy, Dynazenon, and Hathaway. And that was just the originals, there were the highly popular adaptations of Fruits Basket, Nagatoro, Higesoru, and 86 too. Heck, even Blue Reflection Ray, an anime that (imo) has one of the worst visual styles I've seen in recent years, managed to grow a cult following. And Spring was already following Winter 2021, which was a pretty strong season itself.
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
True to the spirit of capitalism, big companies will try just about anything else before falling to their last resort of improving the wages and the working conditions of those at the lowest of the company hierarchy - namely, of those who actually do all of the important work for them. If the demand is there, and they want to provide better quality, and they're missing animators, then all they have to do is 1) train them, 2) pay them, 3) have them work at a human pace to increase the quality of their productivity, and maybe also 4) pick more carefully the series they adapt. Very simple and easy steps. Just decreasing the amount of anime produced doesn't magically solve the problem by its own, it would serve only as a temporary measure of relief.

Also, we need to be reminded that what we, personally, think as the pinnacle of entertainment is not necessarily what other people think and enjoy as well. Maybe I don't enjoy isekai, maybe someone else dislikes harem, maybe another is not interested in BL, and so on, and so on. But there are people who like those other shows and genres, and as long as they are there, content will still be produced. Plenty of people think that decreasing the amount of series will get rid of the shows they dislike to make the shows they like even more awesome because "of course what I like is great and the others are bad so it's the others that will go away and I'll get even better stuff" but that's not necessarily the case.

Also, I completely disagree with the notion that the last years produced bad series. Anime content is on a constant upwards trajectory for years now. Even if things have been tight production wise, we have gotten plenty of awesome series to chew on - we even got the movie of Kimetsu no Yaiba that broke every record possible. Yes a lot of series get forgotten as soon as they're over, but those series are mainly the ones which are created for advertising purposes. I follow 9 series this season and they're all great for me - so if we say that every season has 30 shows, for example, I personally follow on average 1/3 of it, the other 1/3 is just not to my taste but loved by other people, and only the last 1/3 is forgettable/ bad/ a glorified advertisment/ kids' series. Even if that percentage is not exactly accurate, watching anime has been a steadily pleasant experience for many years and that's a feat that shouldn't be underestimated. Anime is more beloved and wide-spread than it has ever been and that is something to be happy about. I sincerely hope that the animators will eventually become more recognized and respected and that their working conditions will drastically improve.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 am Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:
Do you think studios have extra money and time to make poor quality anime?
Who can determine if a anime is good or bad?
For example, when the "demon slayer" was being built, no one even imagined that it would achieve such success
Or even the anime "Your Name"
The success of an anime will be determined only after its production and distribution
Also anime that is not popular here may also be popular in Japan, for example Umamusume Pretty Derby, which broke the Blu-ray sales record in Japan, is not popular here at all.
So with all these topics, tell me how you can predict the success of an anime before making it?

That is a good question which you should probably ask directly from the person I was quoting, since they were the one who said there should be more "good anime", not me.
Apichua

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
You do understand that you mistake success and quality ?
You don't know if an anime will be a success before you make it. And that's exactly the mindset of producers that throw a lot of anime, hoping it will be the next success.
But you already know if an anime will be good or not during its production. Because of bad schedules, bad planning, unqualified people, etc... And it's something you can see as a viewer, just by analyzing end credits. For example, if the episode has a lot of animation directors, if it is globally outsourced, and of course if it has off-model.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Even if they reduce the amount of anime being made, it wouldn't just be the shows you like left, it would still be the same ratio of shows you like to shows you don't like, there'd just be less of them.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Even if they reduce the amount of anime being made, it wouldn't just be the shows you like left, it would still be the same ratio of shows you like to shows you don't like, there'd just be less of them.

And if that means better working conditions for the people actually making it so be it. You’ve accidentally stumbled into the correct reasoning here. In the end it’s not about quality or quantity, it’s that neither of those justify the terrible conditions animators currently face. Besides there’s huge amounts of backlog stuff for everyone at this point, but people are always more likely to chase something new than go discover something they missed.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say this but maybe the Netflix jail approach would help.

Get the entire season in the can and then release it to the public.

Saves investing 3-4 weeks of weekly viewing to drop a show when it turns to ratshit due to adaptation/scheduling issues. Saves the episode 8 recap due to "issues" and it'll be released when it's properly finished.

However - I'd sack the person working for netflix anime selection as some of the stuff they commissioned is total dross and even some of the licensed stuff is pretty average. Although there are a few jems on there...

Also don't the Chinese and other countries need to see entire shows in advance to censor or ban them these days....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5