• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
From Saint Seiya to CCXP: the Past and Present of Anime Fandom in Brazil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:08 am Reply with quote
Brazil's anime boom in the 90 is similar to how it happened in other Latin American countries, although they got some shows that weren't translated into Spanish, it always fascinated me that they got many tokusatsu shows dubbed into Portuguese like Kamen Rider, Metal Heroes and Super Sentai, here in Spanish speaking territories we had to wait until this year to have some Kamen Rider shows dubbed into Spanish.
Here in Argentina we also had a magazine dedicated to anime, among many other things, called Lazer and its staff later founded the manga publisher Ivrea, which is still the biggest manga publisher in Argentina to this day.
Something that always caught my attention was the difference in how LatAm and the U.S. aired anime on TV. I couldn't believe how so many shows that got censored in the U.S. were aired uncut here in LatAm with little complaints. Many parents found shows like DB and Saint Seiya violent, but no one asked the tv stations to ban them, shows like Ranma 1/2 also aired in the afternoons (the nudity was censored though, but not some of the more risque jokes). There were many ocassions though when shows when the dubs based on the American versions like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Medabots, but luckily Digimon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon and others were dubbed directly from the original Japanese.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
I have Brazilian friends in the fandom. This article really helped me understand more about the fandom and the history of anime there. Anime Friends has been on my radar, though I’ve never been. I mean, I don’t speak a lick of Portuguese and I feel like that might be a barrier.
MaximumBroly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Brazil's anime boom in the 90 is similar to how it happened in other Latin American countries, although they got some shows that weren't translated into Spanish, it always fascinated me that they got many tokusatsu shows dubbed into Portuguese like Kamen Rider, Metal Heroes and Super Sentai, here in Spanish speaking territories we had to wait until this year to have some Kamen Rider shows dubbed into Spanish.

The original Kamen Rider,Super Sentai and Metal Heroes dubbed in Portuguese? I mean, not as Masked Rider, Power Rangers and Beetleborgs.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
MaximumBroly wrote:
The original Kamen Rider,Super Sentai and Metal Heroes dubbed in Portuguese? I mean, not as Masked Rider, Power Rangers and Beetleborgs.

Brazil got series like Changeman, Flashman and Juspion, I think they got Kamen Rider Black as well (in on the links in the article there's a Brazilian cosplayer dressed as the title rider). Super Sentai shows were also dubbed in France as well but when Saban got the rights and adapted them as Power Rangers it seems that all international broadcasts of Super Sentai stopped and just dubbed Power Rangers and other Saban adaptations. Lately, some Ultraman shows got dubbed into Neutral Spanish, and a streaming service called Free TV added Kamen Rider Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki and Faiz with a dub as well.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The first time I went to Anime Friends, I had to ask my mother to come with me, since I was still a minor and couldn't travel alone. For the most part, she behaved like you would expect. Just silently letting me fanboy over stuff. But there was one exception.

There was a stand for Ultraman there, and guess what? Classic Ultraman was the only thing in the event my mother recognized on sight. And the only time SHE asked ME to take a picture of her next to something. She watched it as a child, she said. "It was really cheesy". At this point I already knew about the Tokusatsu boom in the Eighties, before I was born, but that was the first time I felt it.

MaximumBroly wrote:

To be specifc, Brazil got four dubbed Super Sentai shows before Power Rangers was created and pretty much replaced them: Google V; Changeman; Flashman and Maskman. As for Kamen Rider, we got Black and RX, plus the americans Masked Rider and Dragon Knight

Juspion (or Jaspion, as we Brazilians call him) was also very popular here. And unlike the others, it's still pretty well known today, due to memes. A parody of the opening (kept in the original Japanese when it aired) it's still famous even today. Jiraiya was also a sucess when it aired here.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame this series and some spinoffs weren't concluded. Next Dimension is on slow pace while Lost aCanvas never got a season 3. Saintas had it so bad that the author apologized on Toei's behalf.
JotaroStar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I remember that many fans embraced Funimation's arrival in Brazil and they really love the Attack on Titan's PT-BR dub (I personally don't like it). Assassination Classroom and Attack on Titan were aired on a TV channel a few months ago and their latest episodes became a trending topic on Twitter during the airing.
Turro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting. I would love to read a piece in the french scene and other countries like mine.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
JotaroStar wrote:
I remember that many fans embraced Funimation's arrival in Brazil and they really love the Attack on Titan's PT-BR dub (I personally don't like it). Assassination Classroom and Attack on Titan were aired on a TV channel a few months ago and their latest episodes became a trending topic on Twitter during the airing.

How is the quality of Funimation's Portuguese dubs? I read that Funimation produced a dub for Cowboy Bebop, which never got a dub when it was broadcasted on Locomotion 20 years ago. They also announced a re-dub for FMA: Brotherhood with some of the orignal actors reprising their roles, here in Spanish-speaking regions are not sure if Funimation is going to acquire the orignal Animax dub or they're going to re-dub the show from scratch (which would be difficult because FMA was dubbed in Venezuela, and Funi hasn't dubbed any shows in that country, save for some MHA characters).
Funimation's Spanish dub for Attak on Titan was well received, and it was kind of interesting, Funi was planning on dubbing the show in Miami like they did with MHA, but after the backlash against MHAs dub the company Artworks, which dubbed the AoT compilation films in Mexico, assisted Funi and managed to get almost every voice actor from the films to reprise their roles for the TV anime. All in all, Funi's Spanish dubs have been well received, it's only MHA's dub that people hate.
JotaroStar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
They were also well received, especially Attack on Titan, Kekkai Sensen, Assassination Classroom and My Hero Academia (this one with caveats because there were some changes in relation to the film's cast for unknown reasons). Most are produced by Dubrasil and they mix better known voice actors (Fábio Lucindo, Bakugo's voice) and some more beginners (Marcella Almeida, Kaguya's VA), where these beginners are more problematic because many of them still have a lot of insecurity and some characters don't look good.

Attack on Titan's dub features a main cast of not-so-recognized voice actors, but they won over a lot of people and fans loved them.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
JotaroStar wrote:
They were also well received, especially Attack on Titan, Kekkai Sensen, Assassination Classroom and My Hero Academia.

That's nice to hear. My Hero's dub was primarily done in Miami, and while characters like All-Might and Iida are voiced by actors with tons of experience in anime and cartoon dubbing, the rest of the cast is really amateurish, and since Miami's voice acting pool is very limited from season 3º onwards actors from various countries like Mexico, Chile, Argentina and Venezuela joined the cast remotely, and even then there're a lot of repeated voices (Bakugo's voice actor also voices Shigaraki and many others).
It's not sure if MHA's reception conviced Funi to change their strategy, but series like Assasination Classroom, Overlord and Tokyo Ghoul were dub in Cuernavaca, Mexico with some actors from Mexico City travelling to voice some characters and then shows like Fruits Basket, Fire Force, Kaguya-sama and Black Butler were dubbed in Mexico City with more experienced and better known voice actors, though recently SK8 to the Infinity premiered and its cast has some lesser known actors but they still did a good job.
Still, one major problem with Funimation as a service is that it's not avaliable in all of Latin America, just in Mexico, Colombia, Chile and Peru, unlike Crunchyroll which is available in almost all Spanish-speaking countries.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
Good article, although it failed to mention how, over time, Dragon Ball managed to surpass Saint Seiya as the most successful and recognizable anime brand in Brazil. It's not only the franchise most people know and reference these days, but it can also be translated in numbers - to this day, Dragon Ball record manga sales remain unbeatable by a large margin. Its importance in Brazilian pop culture just can't be overlooked.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Good article, although it failed to mention how, over time, Dragon Ball managed to surpass Saint Seiya as the most successful and recognizable anime brand in Brazil. It's not only the franchise most people know and reference these days, but it can also be translated in numbers - to this day, Dragon Ball record manga sales remain unbeatable by a large margin. Its importance in Brazilian pop culture just can't be overlooked.

To this day, I remember when, in 2019, my muay thai teacher, an ex-military guy and a cook, asked me if I had watched the Jiren and Goku fight on DB Super. It was rather surreal.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
And all of this may help explain why the three Brazilian girls who I talked to at school were all so heavily into anime. I mean, really heavily into anime.

Surely, the story behind Brazil's otaku fandom sounds more interesting than what I perceive to be the story behind the fandom in Portugal. I mean, there was Dragon Ball with a Gag Dub that is made fun of to this day, and is even the source of mockery all the way from Portugal to Brazil. There's the wife of a major politician who said that Dragon Ball was turning the youth violent. There were parents complaining about the "short skirts" in Sailor Moon. One channel recently cut a kiss between two woman on Sailor Moon Crystal... I could go on and on and on and on...
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Surely, the story behind Brazil's otaku fandom sounds more interesting than what I perceive to be the story behind the fandom in Portugal. I mean, there was Dragon Ball with a Gag Dub that is made fun of to this day, and is even the source of mockery all the way from Portugal to Brazil. There's the wife of a major politician who said that Dragon Ball was turning the youth violent. There were parents complaining about the "short skirts" in Sailor Moon. One channel recently cut a kiss between two woman on Sailor Moon Crystal... I could go on and on and on and on...

Does Portugal get their own dubs like Spain does due to difference between European and Latin American Spanish? I saw some clips of DBZ's Portuguese dub and some voices sounded very weird and kind of funny, was it based on the Japanese version or it was a dubbed from another dub? And as anime the controvesies, in some LatAm countries there were people criticising anime like DB and Pokémon saying it was satanic or something, but despite the majority Catholic population in some countires no one cared, LatAm TV used had very lax standards, I say "used to" because just 2 weeks ago the Argentinean Government ordered Cartoon Network to stop showing DB Super due to a scene with Master Roshi acting perverted and people complaining about it, despite DB Super airing in CN since 2018
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2