• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto, My Hero Academia, Sailor Moon Stage Plays' Streams Return in December With 2 More Titl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norbjunior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Will these be subtitled?
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda interested more in the Bungo Stray Dogs play since that is basically the beta test for the liveaction film
ravager

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
norbjunior wrote:
Will these be subtitled?

I assume they will be since the original stream run some months back (one Naruto, one MHA, one Sailor Moon play each) were subbed.
Anne F

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited that they're doing this again and adding in two new shows! It's really surprising that the two new ones are from this year with one of them not having happened yet. Even Avex livestreamed Paradox Live on Stage's final show worldwide which is very rare and unexpected. This is really incredible! It makes sense to start with these 3 series that are also very popular outside of Japan so hopefully they'll add different series in the future if this continues to be successful. I'd personally love to see TouMyu, Mankai Stage, Engeki Haikyuu, and Bungou Stray Dogs added.

norbjunior wrote:
Will these be subtitled?

It's weird that the website hasn't stated it yet, but the first Naruto stage, MHA, and Sailor Moon Nogizaka46 will for sure be subtitled as they were during the first time they were livestreamed worldwide. I assume Kaguya Hime's Beloved will also be subtitled because it's already finished, but I can't say 100% yes to The Tale of Uzumaki Naruto because the run ends 5 days before it'll be streamed worldwide. Usually the final shows are what's put on disc and streamed after the run is over, but for this stream they may choose a different show to give them time to subtitle it.

tintor2 wrote:
I'm kinda interested more in the Bungo Stray Dogs play since that is basically the beta test for the liveaction film

That's one of the series I'm really hoping they'll add in the future! I've only seen the first three, but they're really incredible and so well done! Sometimes niconico will stream the shows for a limited time. I know they streamed the Dark Era arc and Untold Origins of the ADA/Dazai's Entrance Exam last month to commemorate the Age 15 stage play.
lilitu93
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:55 am Reply with quote
norbjunior wrote:
Will these be subtitled?

I watched the Sailor Moon one last time it aired, and, yes, it’s subtitled, so I assume all of these will be as well.

I’m hoping these will become a more regular thing, though it would be nice if they used a platform with a Roku app, as I had to hook my laptop up to the TV last time to be able to view it on a big screen. But at least this seems to be successful enough to do it again, and we’ll get more anime musicals in the West.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad the Sailor Moon musicals are doing well enough they’re continuing to release them in the US but it would be nice at this point that they just release them on subbed BDs or at least let you buy a digital copy instead of having to pay a rather pricey rental ticket where you can only watch it at a specific pre-set time and whelp if your Internet goes out while watching it.
Anne F

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I’m glad the Sailor Moon musicals are doing well enough they’re continuing to release them in the US but it would be nice at this point that they just release them on subbed BDs or at least let you buy a digital copy instead of having to pay a rather pricey rental ticket where you can only watch it at a specific pre-set time and whelp if your Internet goes out while watching it.

I am no expert on the behind the scenes stuff, but 2.5D is still a very niche market. I suspect that it could be a matter of if it's worth selling them with subtitles to overseas fans. I mean, they're just starting to make some shows accessible to us with the first run and Avex livestreaming Paradox Live on Stage's final show.

I do wonder what they would be priced at because 10,000 yen is roughly the average price for a 2.5D BD in Japan. I don't see them selling discs with subtitles relatively soon, but I'd really like for it to happen if these continue to be successful. 2.5D is something I'm super passionate about so I want this to succeed

The rental price is actually fairly cheap, especially considering it's generally $10+ for a movie that you only get to see in theaters once and you can't rewind or pause. Last time it was $15 for a 24 hour period. Now it's $15-$20 for almost 2 weeks. Maybe it's because I'm just used to paying the same or more for 2.5D livestreams where I get either no archive or only a week to watch that makes it cheap to me.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Anne F wrote:

I am no expert on the behind the scenes stuff, but 2.5D is still a very niche market. I suspect that it could be a matter of if it's worth selling them with subtitles to overseas fans. I mean, they're just starting to make some shows accessible to us with the first run and Avex livestreaming Paradox Live on Stage's final show.

I'm not meaning just 2.5D shows but the Sailor Moon musicals as a whole which do have a vocal devoted fanbase that wants to see them released officially subbed. They could easily start with the Satomi Okubo musicals which are the more recent stage with modern production values and see how those sale. Le Mouvement Final had a brief subtitled run in US theaters but then nothing was done with it after that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1