• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Market 99 Event to Have General Attendance Entrance Fees

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I know that Comiket is struggling financially because of the virus, but this really sucks.
One of the great points of Comiket was being able to go in freely. Other smaller events made you purchase a giant catalogue as an entry fee, but even someone with a limited budget could go to Comiket and window shop and say hello to creators (of course, purchasing items is best). Creators also had an unlimited amount of attention (not possible now during the virus, but...)

I hope future years will return to the free model, but I’m not holding my breath.
Glad I got my Comiket fever out of me years ago.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
One of the great points of Comiket was being able to go in freely. Other smaller events made you purchase a giant catalogue as an entry fee, but even someone with a limited budget could go to Comiket and window shop and say hello to creators (of course, purchasing items is best). Creators also had an unlimited amount of attention (not possible now during the virus, but...)
I hope future years will return to the free model, but I’m not holding my breath.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I do believe the fees will stay though, may be a bit lower but I think it is too easy bring in some serious money with the entry fee.
TsukimoriKyouki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
the end of comiket probably
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote
Adding a fee is partly a way to limit attendence too. Considering the last one still had record numbers the fee will have to get much higher before it has an effect.
Porudogumaz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:59 am Reply with quote
Well, like the article mentions, paying to get into Comiket isn't anything new, and in fact the fact in-person Comikets had them, and still broke attendance records regardless. But it is worth noting that those past Comikets only had you buy a wristband or the catalog, as opposed to the tickets which appear to be FAR more expensive.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:59 am Reply with quote
Porudogumaz wrote:
Well, like the article mentions, paying to get into Comiket isn't anything new, and in fact the fact in-person Comikets had them, and still broke attendance records regardless. But it is worth noting that those past Comikets only had you buy a wristband or the catalog, as opposed to the tickets which appear to be FAR more expensive.

They may offset the cost by making the catalogue cheaper and still control attendance this way. I think the build up from the pandemic will make it so they break even more records.

Honestly with the way the world works its naïve to think you'll be able to do something like this for Free forever. The cost for events like this needs to come from somewhere and I doubt the Japanese government would pay for it. $17 is pretty cheap considering some anime conventions like AnimeNYC charge $85 (At Door) and provide very little other then a Giant Dealers Room and Artist Alley
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Do bear in mind that this comiket won't break any records due to limited attendance. I doubt they even allow half of last comiket number or even a quarter of it. As far I remember, Japan only allow events with less than 50k attendance right now, and c97 has more than 150k per day. Even if the attendee come and go (except the cosplayers and artists behind the tables), letting 100k people in in one day is basically suicide for the organizers.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
17 bucks (in Yen) is cheap but I bet Comic Market is counting more on making a bit of revenue (to cover expenses) off those "early access" passes: That 1-hour priority entrance is quite the popular perk and definitely worth it if there's an artist you want to try to get in front of their line to see.

Nothing was mentioned about a cap on the number of early access passes, however. They're popular but if too many people can buy them, it kind of defeats the purpose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1