• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Stand By Me Doraemon and 80 Years of Gadgets

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brutannica

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
The title of this article is a little misleading... Doraemon has "only" been around for about 50 years. The movies it covers were released to commemorate the 80th birthdays of its creators.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
For most people of earth no matter where, the things done to anime in the US are beyond believe. Laughing
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It’s still nice to see some Doraemon here after how badly Disney messed it up by not advertising it and just acted like they didn’t really care about it.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The two latest Doraemon feature films are Doraemon the Movie: Nobita's New Dinosaur (August 7, 2020) and STAND BY ME Doraemon 2 (November 20, 2020).

There's already been been six 2D ones since the first STAND BY ME on August 8, 2014, with another already set for March 4, 2022. Admittedly, they're released so often it takes some dedication to keep track of them: there's been at least one at a minimum released every year since 1980, with the only exception being 2021 (no gadget SHIN-EI could make Doraemon pull out of his pocket could prevent that being the Year Without a Doraemon Movie). But I am a bit surprised to see the existence of those six films in between skipped over in an article on a website which includes them in its encyclopedia and has reported on them in its news. (I did otherwise enjoy the article, though. I don't want to be that guy who only complains, but I don't like to see popular misperceptions become more popular.)

MoonPhase1 wrote:
It’s still nice to see some Doraemon here after how badly Disney messed it up by not advertising it and just acted like they didn’t really care about it.

I don't think that was acting, if you were to ask me.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Lapin noir wrote:
The two latest Doraemon feature films are Doraemon the Movie: Nobita's New Dinosaur (August 7, 2020) and STAND BY ME Doraemon 2 (November 20, 2020).

There's already been been six 2D ones since the first STAND BY ME on August 8, 2014, with another already set for March 4, 2022. Admittedly, they're released so often it takes some dedication to keep track of them: there's been at least one at a minimum released every year since 1980, with the only exception being 2021 (no gadget SHIN-EI could make Doraemon pull out of his pocket could prevent that being the Year Without a Doraemon Movie). But I am a bit surprised to see the existence of those six films in between skipped over in an article on a website which includes them in its encyclopedia and has reported on them in its news. (I did otherwise enjoy the article, though. I don't want to be that guy who only complains, but I don't like to see popular misperceptions become more popular.)

Long story short, the folks who handle the news aren't necessarily the folks who work in TWIA, and it takes a bit of herculean effort to keep up with every last release out there, begging your pardon. Also, the STAND BY ME movies were the ones that had just been added to Netflix; they're connected, and readily available for American viewers, hence why they were discussed. Covering six other movies would have been a little outside of the power for just one column, sad to say.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Doraemon manga volumes are available on Kindle translated by AltJapan.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:28 pm Reply with quote
In Europe (and other places), Doraemon's anime is broadcasted in TV. That's the main difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1