• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eiichiro Oda Requested One Piece Film Red To Give "Important Role to a Female Charact

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evan77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Outsider Director and Important Role to a Female Character
It is a strange request and it is expressed in a strange way
Is Oda infected by the politics of the West?
I'm glad that the era of manga like one piece is over and the era of manga like Demon Slayer has started and gone beyond of one piece
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's Yamato.

#YamatoForNakama
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:25 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:
I'm glad that the era of manga like one piece is over and the era of manga like Demon Slayer has started and gone beyond of one piece

Why do you assume a creator wanting to give a female character a greater role is due to being "infected by the politics of the West"? You're assuming no Japanese person can have the idea to include women (which isn't even necessarily progressive, since Oda has made plenty of sexist remarks before) on their own? That's very infantalizing.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:

Demon Slayer era is already over, the Manga had ended. Also, having a female character having a bigger role isn't a west idea (Okubo did the same thing with Soul Eater, making Maka the main character in 2004). Everything isn't about our politics, other countries have their own
puraoreo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:

I think you're looking too deep into it lmao
I'd say it's weirder how vague that is, I'd think he had more involvement with the movies than just saying "put some kind of female character in there" and walking away. Saying "I want an outside director" instead of requesting someone specific or giving them free reign is weird, too.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Since I really liked Film Gold (my favourite OP movie so far), I love that the same screenwriter is coming back for Film Red too! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:

Let me tell you about a man named Hayao Miyazaki...on second thought nah. Look him up. Also this would be a social issue, not a political one.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:58 pm Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:

You know Japan has calls for more/better female representation in media, too, right? Having a fleshed out female character whose sole/defining trait isn't being bon-kyu-bon isn't "politics of the West" and it isn't going to ruin shounen or any other genre.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:57 am Reply with quote
evan77 wrote:

You don't think feminism exists outside of the west? You must have a very low opinion of Japan and other eastern nations if you think they're so backwards and isolated that they've never heard of women's rights.

That said, just giving a role to a female character isn't a political or feminist choice. So your post is doubly wrong.

evan77 wrote:

Yeah bro, One Piece is totally over. That's why it's getting a new movie, because of how over it is.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:01 am Reply with quote
puraoreo wrote:

I'd say it's weirder how vague that is, I'd think he had more involvement with the movies than just saying "put some kind of female character in there" and walking away. Saying "I want an outside director" instead of requesting someone specific or giving them free reign is weird, too.

I'd say he most likely either specified which character or wrote a new character for the movie but is keeping it vague since we don't know much about the plot yet. Director I have no idea why that's kept vague since we all know who it is
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:02 am Reply with quote
We live in an era where long-running and shorter series can experience resounding success. One Piece is still highly popular but its inevitable that people will compare its popularity in the early years to now. Kimetsu no Yaiba is a bit too hyper at times for me but I can respect how loved it is by others. Jujutsu Kaisen was a good watch and did a great job at enhancing the manga's existing content. I look forward to watching the upcoming film at the cinema when it releases in my country.

I hope the upcoming One Piece film is of the same calibre as some of the series' best. If it provides more details on some of the series mysteries that will be good to see.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:23 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
puraoreo wrote:

I'd say he most likely either specified which character or wrote a new character for the movie but is keeping it vague since we don't know much about the plot yet.

Going by the Natalie article: "そしてもう1つは「女性を大事な役として出してほしい」というもの。" - it just means that there should be a female character (or hell, more female characters, it's a bit vague without more context) in an important role.

And on that note, I'm not intimately familiar with One Piece, but based on what I know about it I'm kind of rolling my eyes about people whining about this and being all "omg western politics" (which phrase is eyeroll-inducing in and of itself, but that aside). I mean, oh no, the author of this franchise that has numerous, mostly well-written, strong female characters in very important roles, is trying to make sure that this trend continues in this new movie... wow, "western politics" sure is ruining One Piece...

As for the director request, I think he just wanted someone who can bring a fresh, new perspective to this dinosaur of a franchise.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
Just to add, Oda's exact words in the message he posted were along the lines of 'I'm tired of drawing old men for these movies, I want to draw a young woman for a change" So for all we know the new female villain will be hyper sexualized like most other women in One Piece. And chances are Nami and Robin will have tons of fanservice in the film, as is per tradition for One Piece movies. The chance this is going to be some kind of Hollywood forced strong female character or female reboot are zero. Save that outrage for the Netflix adaption if you must.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:50 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming it means the songstress in the teaser visual.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Surprised at everyone taking the first comment's bait. A quick look will show this account is decidedly a troll.

As for the film, I will wait for judgement until I see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2