• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Halt Ad-Supported Streaming Starting With Spring 2022 Season

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gideon Madu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:26 am Reply with quote
Guess its time for me to drlete my CR account and switch to manga exclusively. Confused
alice32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:29 am Reply with quote
They do a good work
Do not forget the shield of heroes of seasons 2 and 3 did not exist without crunchyroll
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
Won’t be shocked if people start sharing their accounts with friends and family once this starts…
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just not thinking about it from the right angle, but I really can't see how this benefits the company. I only see them losing viewers from this move.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
This is a greedy move which will hurt them since a good portion of their viewers are free ad watchers for various reasons.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:38 am Reply with quote
Damn you, Sony. As a long-time subscriber, this doesn't even affect me directly, but it's still enough to make me mad. Just be happy with the ad revenue free viewers bring.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah, makes sense. Most people use adblockers anyway so its pretty much no different from people using piracy sites, except they're using Crunchyrolls bandwidth instead. Some big changes are going to be coming now post merger like this.
Yuvelir

Huh. I expected the effects of the effective monopoly to take a bit longer.
chocorade

Right, because this is the correct move for promoting legal streaming Rolling Eyes
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
Maybe I'm just not thinking about it from the right angle, but I really can't see how this benefits the company. I only see them losing viewers from this move.
Theyre suffering from monopoly syndrome right now. They have minimal competition so they think they can squeeze people for every cent. Time will tell if it's successful for them or not
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
There is no benefits to viewers. Sony though just want to convert the ad-viewers to subscribers, using the near-monopoly stake on the anime licensing market (considering they consolidating Crunchyroll, Wakanim and Funimation licenses under the same brand) - and the fact that other competitive services (outside HIDIVE, as I remember) are using the same sub model without providing access to free content.

It just easy for them to dictate the market rules, and now the viewers only can vote by the wallets for this decision.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:58 am Reply with quote
It's the Funimation NOW streaming model being applied to Crunchyroll. It's worth remembering that while the Crunchyroll name has been adopted for the company going forward, no doubt due to the name's market reach, it was Funimation that bought out Crunchyroll, not vice versa.

They obviously think that with the existing Crunchyroll subscription base, plus the Funimation NOW subscribers transferred over, plus the fraction of free users that bite the bullet and subscribe, they'll have enough to offset the lost ad-revenue. And if that isn't enough, they'll raise prices. It's not like they have any equivalent competing service now, is it?
hatguy12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
And with the death of Funimation, the words Sony spoke drove people to the seas. It is the second coming of the Great Pirate Era!*

(*I do not promote/advocate piracy, just noting that this will be a boost to piracy scene.)

In the short term, I can see how some executive would look at the subscription and ad revenue numbers and decide it's not worth it. But this is risking knocking Crunchy off the center of the anime streaming stage, and I'm afraid it's slashing Crunchy's long term growth. But I admit I'm just a fan, I can easily be wrong; we'll see where the community is 10 years from now.

Edit: Reading more closely and other comments, it sounds like the library will continue to have ad supported viewing, which is more lenient than I first thought and still makes anime accessible to people who might be discovering it or get recommended it.

Last edited by hatguy12 on Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they're done. This is a great time to be a manga fan, great time to be a pirate, but a bad time to be an "ethical" anime fan. (Just buy the merch, man.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:04 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
Yeah, makes sense. Most people use adblockers anyway so its pretty much no different from people using piracy sites, except they're using Crunchyrolls bandwidth instead. Some big changes are going to be coming now post merger like this.

Which is ironic since CR started as pirate site
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13