• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryukage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I had low expectations for this show, but oof.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
....my condolences on the assignment
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, when I skimmed the manga adaptation a while back my impression was the whole story boiled down to a consistent cycle of dungeon crawling > bookkeeping > sex > repeat. Maybe that could have even been enough in better written story, but the first two parts of that equation are just so bone dry of any entertainment value. Like it perfectly recreates the least fun parts of playing an mmo, the monotonous, repetitive grind that you're only half paying attention to while you listen to your podcast.

The opening bit where he almost immediately resorts to being a murderhobo to buy sex, creepy as it is, is at least worth talking about, but once that's out of the way there's not really any tension in the story. Just mashing that Skinner Box button until the story dispenses the next, admittedly decent, sex scene.

Last edited by MagicianMan on Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it has been a while since I saw something with as much contempt for its presumed audience as this show.

Runs hand together with a smirk.
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Im actually dissapointed this one won the poll. Of the trashy ecchi animes airing this season, its nowhere near as good as Vermeil in Gold. Harem Labyrinth has trash animation and aboring plot and lets face it, the fanservice is practicaly non existant. Vermiel in gold actually has a really nice art style, good animation, interesting characters, a somewhat interesting story, great voice acting and actual fanservice.

Can we have a muligan on this one? A recount? A re-do of the vote?
FuzzyDave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:34 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:

Please, yes, can't they just swap Vermeil in for this one and give Christopher a break? It's a far better (and genuinely entertaining) show (at least as of 3 episodes)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:15 pm Reply with quote
FuzzyDave wrote:
09jcg wrote:

Please, yes, can't they just swap Vermeil in for this one and give Christopher a break? It's a far better (and genuinely entertaining) show (at least as of 3 episodes)

I support this.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but it lost fair and square. Taking it away would deny the voters what they wanted.
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Having not watched the anime and having no plans to....

Quote:

Even if his life was so unfulfilling and miserable that he didn't mind abandoning it, smarter writing would at least mention that to inform his motivation for continuing on in this world.

Really? Geez, yeah, it'd only take a few seconds to say "my mom's dead, my father ignores me, and my classmates ostracize me, and that's why I'm surfing suicide advice sites"

Quote:

Is this what the books were like? Just pages of number-crunching plot padding out the length for readers to skim through to get to the spot illustrations and steamier stretches of text?

Hope you aren't expecting sex scenes in those "steamier stretches" 'cause nope the novels don't have that either. Just "end scene" after a full body wash.

Quote:

There's also the second episode's fundamentally bizarre opening flash-forward to a 'potential future' where Michio apparently fathered a child with one of the starter town villagers, only to return nine years later with his colorful collection of compulsory wives and hand the kid a sword in lieu of any actual parenting.

What. That's not even from the frickin' novels - it's a What if? chapter from the original web novel. I'd laugh if they worked on the anime character designs for all the girls before reading the books and finding out the second girl might not even show up depending on pacing, much less the other three, and went scrambling for a way to shoehorn them in earlier.

Quote:

And episode-based as these write-ups are going to be, I'm going to have to pay attention to and evaluate its story steps on that incremental basis.

Story? What story? There's not even a hint of a story until the fifth volume, which I certainly doubt they'll get to....
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:42 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sorry, but it lost fair and square. Taking it away would deny the voters what they wanted.
Time for a recall Twisted Evil

But yeah I get it, but at the rate things are going with the show even the reviews won't be fun to read. There's only so many ways to write "episode 7, still nothing happens"

What we have here is a failure of democracy
Los Nido

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused on the tone of the thread. Is the joke that the review dislikes the show but reviews it anyway for laughs? Like a Cinema Sins kind of thing?

Anyway I've been enjoying it myself (uncensored version, of course). The kills have been quite grizzly and entertaining. The overall dark tone is pretty nice since a lot of similar shows tend to pull their punches in that area. The bandit hunting scene overall has been my favorite so far.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Los Nido wrote:
I'm a bit confused on the tone of the thread. Is the joke that the review dislikes the show

Nope, it is In Another World with My Smartphone all over again. Thst series recently got a sequel, btw.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It's surprising how faithful they've been in adapting this (at least compared to the manga). You'd think they'd up the pacing a bit to "get to the goods", though if they stick to the novels, there isn't much there. Maybe that's why they're taking it slow? Laughing
Seraph89

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I basically only voted for Isekai Pharmacy because the way isekai shows are treated on this site (and many others) kind of nettles me. So I figured I'd vote only for the one I knew would actually not get shredded to pieces. I saw this and Isekai Kenja got through the votes and the sound that escaped my mouth was something akin to a death rattle of a sigh.

Reason being, I've kind of gotten to the point where I feel the overly critical nature of review, in general, just turns people into miserable husks who can't just sit and enjoy a thing for what it is.

So I'm all for just shelving the review of this series and giving the reviewer something they'd actually enjoy reviewing instead.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually enjoying the show exploring the actual world and game mechanics as Michio makes a life for himself in this new game world (that he kind of stupidly got himself stuck in, admittedly) and how they spent so much time to that rather than rushing to him getting Roxanne.

And the fact that they were willing to show him basically planning out and then basically executing a bunch of bandits (including women) while they're sleeping just so he can buy Roxanne...and then dealing with the implications of that...I though it was interesting.

So far I think the direction and execution has also been pretty solid.

I'm curious to see how having Roxanne will change up the dynamic (beyond the obvious).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12