• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cyberpunk: Edgerunners

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:58 am Reply with quote
I really wouldn't focus on the love aspect of the story as its really the weakest part, Lucy love David because he's the main character... and David loves her cause she's cute I guess? It also has the really awkward "death makes me horny" problem spoiler[where the character first bone right after they're friend died in front of them cause... yeah I got nothing.]. As far as driving David to self destruct, there's not much reason for him to do any of this, even if we assume he need to gather lots of money to get Lucy her moon shoot, why not stop much early? Especially when most augment don't do much for hi, like the arm cannon which... save him the trouble of carrying a second gun, damn so useful.

Ultimately, like most Trigger show, it's cliche to the max (see above manic pixie girl) rescued by great art style and direction. I don't know why they don't hire good writer, but apparently it works for them and they're popular, so what do I know. The entire time I couldn't help but think that the story would be so much better if the mom was the main character, or the main character actually joined the corpo side. But no, nothing must divert from the cliche, the cliche is supreme and no attempt at originality will be tolerated.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a Trigger die-hard, nor am I any sort of Cyberpunk player/fan(EDIT: not a fan of the game Cyberpunk 2077, not the genre), and I thought this series was really underwhelming. I think a lot of people go into a Trigger production prepared to give it straight As no matter what. The constant recycling of scenes/frames really took me out of what was going on. I'm supposed to feel something when David's mom is in the hospital, and then when she's died, but all I can see is how they're using the exact same animation twice. Episode 4 shows us a pile of team-building montages without dialogue, while continuing to cut back to David and Main's conversation reusing the exact same animations over and over.

The show was going for an emotional gut punch but it didn't give us enough to care about David or Lucy, everything just happens, one thing after another, no room for any event to really breath. People keep sharing scenes of the ambulance cart scene(even the thumbnail for this review), and Lucy isn't even like that ever again the series; it was all an act to con David. After the first couple of episodes David and Lucy barely even talk to each other, despite living together, and then at the end we're supposed to buy this deep connection that they apparently had. David watches Main go psychotic from over-cyberizing, and then just does the exact same thing? Kiwi lives by "not trusting anyone", but then goes to meet Faraday one last time just because he said they should? Nothing anyone did in this series makes any kind of sense, and I'm not sure if it's just sloppy writing or something else. Bleak edge-lord endings where 90% of the cast dies doesn't always equal a good ending, no matter how pretty it looks, and I wish anime/shows in general would ease up on that particular gas-pedal. The series could have benefitted from more episodes, and the entire season being dumped online all at once definitely hurt the pacing. Watching this every week for 10 weeks would've created a greater attachment to the characters.

Lots of folks seem to love the series, but at the end I was just indifferent. Don't get me wrong; I binged it over the course of a day and I wouldn't have continued after episode 1 if I wasn't enjoying it. But after wards, was it good? I just don't think it was. Confused

Last edited by Gem-Bug on Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
DankyKang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I liked the anime overall. Fun, stylish, not held back by being a licensed tie-in and Trigger given free reign to do stuff and not afraid to go out on a downer ending. One of the better collab anime I've watched. I also liked how Trigger did their homework and they used random locations from the game. Like, you can actually go visit Rebecca's apartment in-game if you want since it's a real location, although vacant. Hopefully we get a mod that lets us rent it. Or maybe that's what the Edgerunner themed DLC will include. Hopefully the game and devs are smart enough to capitalize on the anime's success.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of busy with other things so I'm only reached episode 4, but so far I've been enjoying the series. I haven't played Cyberpunk 2077 and I wasn't particulary interested by the game or its aesthetic but the anime is doing a much better job, I like the animation, the colors, the music, the characters. My only complaint is a technical one, I'm watching the Neutral Spanish dub, which coincidently was directed by the same person who directed the Latin American actors for the European Spanish dub of the game, and there's a problem with the sound mixing, the music is too loud and it's difficult to hear the characters' voices, which is a shame because the voice cast is amazing and the dub dialogue was incredibly well adapted, they got very creative with the swear words, and Rebecca being voiced by the same actress who voices D.Va, Pinkie Pie and Mitsuri Kanroji it's pretty hilarious. I hope Netflix can fix that problem, even the ARD director, Jessica Ángeles (Kaguya Shinomiya, Shoko Komi, Princess Zelda), complained about it on Twitter.
Coming back to the show itself, I'll try to finish it as quick as possible, I'll have to avoid spoilers.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched it yet but as a trigger fan I am definitely going to give this a watch. As for mr negative who called it underwhelming it clearly isn't for you. Or maybe you were so negative that you may have missed something. Regardless if you didn't like trigger anime before why the fudge would you watch Cyberpunk? Just to complain about it!
Sorry but as a Trigger fan your comments....triggered me. I don't care if the joke was bad I stand by it just like a stand by trigger
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
do you have to play the game to get the *full* mileage of this if you're one of those people that are inclined like that?

You know like in the sense you're NOT going to enjoy or loosely understand those Resident Evil anime/manga without being familiarized with the franchise
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:43 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
do you have to play the game to get the *full* mileage of this if you're one of those people that are inclined like that?

You know like in the sense you're NOT going to enjoy or loosely understand those Resident Evil anime/manga without being familiarized with the franchise

Stories are unrelated outside of setting. The show use quite a few location from the game, but those are just visual Easter eggs. The game is apparently getting a few things related to the anime, but I think those are also just eastern egg and nothing substantial.

Otherwise there's a few concept that are introduce in the anime kinda in the middle of nowhere and very quickly explained which might not make much sense if your not familiar with the setting (like how the internet work) but those aren't necessary to understand what's happening in the story.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:49 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
I haven't watched it yet but as a trigger fan I am definitely going to give this a watch. As for mr negative who called it underwhelming it clearly isn't for you. Or maybe you were so negative that you may have missed something. Regardless if you didn't like trigger anime before why the fudge would you watch Cyberpunk? Just to complain about it!
Sorry but as a Trigger fan your comments....triggered me. I don't care if the joke was bad I stand by it just like a stand by trigger

So you haven't even watched it yet but you came in to write a paragraph about my take on it? I said I'm not a Trigger die-hard, not that I've never watched a Trigger series(SSSS Gridman and Dynazenon are excellent). Way to prove my point, I guess. Maybe come back once you've actually watched the series you're in a review thread for. Also your joke was -4.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
The series could have benefitted from more episodes, and the entire season being dumped online all at once definitely hurt the pacing. Watching this every week for 10 weeks would've created a greater attachment to the characters.

Watching this over multiple weeks with you pointing out how iffy the writing was would likely had made you and the others who prefer the traditional release model hate the series.
royalnobody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
[MOD EDIT: Added some spoiler tags regarding deaths and stuff not mentioned or alluded to in the review. Just a warning for the thread though, as the review goes into heavy spoiler territory, the thread is in general likely going to be much more spoiler heavy, with more unmarked spoilers, as that is the nature of the article in question.]

I agree with Gem bug, series started out great imo. But too many times I just felt like the characters are dying for the sake of making the ending tragic to the point where the characters were just plain stupid. David getting jacked up after seeing spoiler[Maine and long-armed man die due to cyberpsychosis related deaths just makes his death feel contrived at best. No one is somehow phased by long arm guy's death other than his sister, who basically forgets about it in the next episode. In fact, I'd even argue that other than Maine and his girl, no death really had an effect in this show. David dying? Set up from the start combined with him suddenly turning stupid. His mother? The gang gave their condolences but David barely gives a fudge after beating up that bully. Mentions it again at the end I guess? Long armed guy? Becca was furious but proceeds to forget about him until 4-5 episodes later and then forgets again. Becca? David got kinda angry I guess but it's not like he went over the edge. Fight still went on, it's not like her death caused David to go berserk to the point of no return. One minute later, he's back to fighting. Kiwi? Does anyone even give a fudge?] Feel like that one's just catharsis for the viewer. David killing a random civilian had more of a long term effect on him than spoiler[watching his friend die right before his eyes for fudge sake.
]

And let's talk about that civilian, cause David was so haunted by it. He killed a mother that was looking forward to his son's future, just like his mother was. By this point, he's killed hundreds if not thousands of people, how does he know he hasn't killed another parent? His own mother was forced into illegal business thanks to their financial difficulties, there could easily have been people in the exact same situation amongst the gang members he killed, or people like him who were forced into the gang life due to a few wrong turns. Oh but he killed one bright and upstanding citizen, boohoo. And then.... proceeds to forget about it after talking about it with Lucy.

Let's not forget that David had full power to send them to the moon already. He even remarks at how cheap it is for a one-way trip. But Lucy doesn't like it because it's a one-way trip, which makes 0 sense. Bitch, you literally want to get as far away from this city as humanly possible, and now you want to come back? Too many plot points like these were just mentioned but never committed to.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
The series could have benefitted from more episodes, and the entire season being dumped online all at once definitely hurt the pacing. Watching this every week for 10 weeks would've created a greater attachment to the characters.

Watching this over multiple weeks with you pointing out how iffy the writing was would likely had made you and the others who prefer the traditional release model hate the series.

Like I said in the section you quoted, more time with the characters would've created a stronger attachment to them. It's the difference of characters like Pilar and Main dying weeks after being introduced rather than 30 minutes to an hour. Even an extra episode with the whole team doing some other job would've done wonders for development. I admit, no one is really forced to watch the whole series in a day or two, but the nature of shows uploaded in the binge-watch format is that the cultural zeitgeist of this series is right now. There are certainly episodes that I really enjoyed compared to others, but there won't be any real discussion of that because everyone is talking about the series as a whole after binging it. Higurashi Sotsu was actually terrible, but I and many others were still here every week talking about it. For good or bad, there was still that discussion going on. It's a shame.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's to the point that I could tell where the characters were located at nearly any given moment simply because I had played it

Same here. There were so many moments where I went "Oh, I've been here in the game!". It also ties into some of the Edgerunners-related content that they added in the game. Like the new sidequest to get David's jacket is started by going to David's apartment and Rebecca's shotgun can be found where the anime's final battle took place.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this one. Probably my favorite Trigger thing so far, with LWA coming just behind in second place. It's just unfortunate it's namely attached to a not as well produced videogame, which will probably keep many people from watching this through mass stigma or thinking it's an spinoff that can't work standalone (it does).
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Let's dial the anger and insults down a bit, okay? In particular, there is no need to get so heated over a show, especially if it's a show you haven't even watched yet.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:48 am Reply with quote
It’s funny how so many here were shocked by the ending — weren’t we primed for this from the start?

The opening theme foreshadows David’s character arc. The eventual fate of all Edgerunners was established early — so no surprises for me. BTW, I loved this show. More like this please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2