• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to start making music?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gomeshelen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Any music makers here? I want to learn how to start producing electronic music on my computer
I have never used a DAW for music production but I have a strong background is recording, editing and mixing sound for film and live bands in ProTools. I have heard that Logic and Ableton are the best options as the workflow and interface are easier to pick up on. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to begin in terms of learning how to create a basic beat, sample, layer, mix, etc and would love to know how I could start.

Do I need external hardware? Midi Keyboard, Drum Pad, etc?

Any information as to how I could begin would be amazing!
nakeman4life

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:43 am Reply with quote
You should get some classes from experienced people in it, they will tell you some basics, then you must choose your style, what you wanna do and search for some studies dedicated to exact program from experienced producer, after that you can view some free videos on youtube dedicated to your genre. That is the way. But after all these classes - practice,practice and practice.
mizanur_rahman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
Understand the difference between "beat," "rhythm," and "tempo." These terms are also closely related.
"Beat" refers to an individual pulse of music. A beat can be either a sounded note or a period of silence called a rest. A beat can also be divided among multiple notes, or multiple beats can be assigned to a single note or rest.
"Rhythm" refers to a series of beats or pulses.[16] The rhythm is determined by how the notes and rests are arranged within a song.
"Tempo" refers to how fast or slowly a song is played. The faster the tempo, the more beats are played per minute. "The Blue Danube Waltz" has a slow tempo, while "The Stars and Stripes Forever" has a faster tempo.
aarr0w

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:46 pm Reply with quote
There are many ways to start making music, and the approach you take will depend on your interests, resources, and goals. Here are some general steps to get you started:

Choose your instrument: Decide which instrument you want to learn and practice. It could be a keyboard, guitar, drums, or any other instrument that you enjoy playing.

Learn the basics: Start by learning the basics of music theory, including rhythm, melody, harmony, and scales. You can find tutorials and resources online or take lessons from a music teacher.

Experiment with different sounds: Explore different genres and styles of music and experiment with different sounds and instruments to find your unique style.

Use music software: There are many music software programs available that can help you create and record music. Start with a simple program like GarageBand and work your way up to more advanced software as you gain experience.

Collaborate with others: Collaborating with other musicians is a great way to learn and grow as a musician. Join a local music group, find other musicians online, or attend music events to meet other like-minded individuals.

Practice regularly: The more you practice, the better you will become. Set aside time each day to practice your instrument and work on your music.

Remember, making music is a creative process, and there are no right or wrong ways to do it. Be open to new ideas and experiment with different sounds and techniques until you find what works best for you. Good luck!
Krakenn

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:09 am Reply with quote
It depends on how serious you want to get. Hardware may be necessary if you want to be more efficient and professional, but these days you can deal with a simple laptop without worry.

I would say that the best way to learn is to watch YouTube tutorials over and over again...
HoneyAmanda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if you don't want to spend money on it, youtube to the rescue. Or at least for starters you can try a free version. And then, you have to take lessons. Either way. Or if you're a genius, then further on your own:) But if you take my experience of playing the ukulele - I really benefited from the knowledge I got as a child playing the guitar.
Of course it's a little different, but I think you understood the point - serious approach is important in any business. And you'd better let a pro tell you the basics
EmperorThor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:54 am Reply with quote
Download Dance eJay and put together a song from small music samples. I did that and it turned out well.

Then get a more powerful program and put together more sophisticated music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1