• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity Season 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the pacing's too fast, but I don't think it's because they tried to cram too much content into one episode. Not much happened in episode 1. I think the editing is to blame. The way they cut from one shot or scene to another is just so quick and awkward that they don't give you time to process what just happened. Same thing with the dialogue. It feels like they are adapting the manga panel by panel rather than giving the scenes and characters time to breathe.

Anyway, I'd like to say I'm happy that TyE is back as well, but the production continues to be bad (and I expect it to get worse as time passes) and the direction the manga took made me fall out of love with the story. I'll continue to watch and read it cause I'm already this far in, but I don't see this second season being anything other than disappointing.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Should be a sin how this manga gets such poor adaptation. Reminds me of Bee Train's Tsubasa.

About this season, I have no idea where are they going as the preview already has Fushi returning to the villager's prepuberty form. I guess the big message that is hitting Fushi this season is that people die and it's "killing him" how he is afraid of knowing. Originally the knockers were the reason for Fushi's selfexile but it seems he will have to become a hero now. I remember the author said that the story was inspired by her grandmother's death so I see the strong message this series about accepting mortality.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
I agree that the pacing's too fast, but I don't think it's because they tried to cram too much content into one episode. Not much happened in episode 1. I think the editing is to blame. The way they cut from one shot or scene to another is just so quick and awkward that they don't give you time to process what just happened. Same thing with the dialogue. It feels like they are adapting the manga panel by panel rather than giving the scenes and characters time to breathe.

Anyway, I'd like to say I'm happy that TyE is back as well, but the production continues to be bad (and I expect it to get worse as time passes) and the direction the manga took made me fall out of love with the story. I'll continue to watch and read it cause I'm already this far in, but I don't see this second season being anything other than disappointing.

Pacing isn't fast. In the first season it was the same. All is good. I like this series so much!
tintor2 wrote:
Should be a sin how this manga gets such poor adaptation. Reminds me of Bee Train's Tsubasa.

About this season, I have no idea where are they going as the preview already has Fushi returning to the villager's prepuberty form. I guess the big message that is hitting Fushi this season is that people die and it's "killing him" how he is afraid of knowing. Originally the knockers were the reason for Fushi's selfexile but it seems he will have to become a hero now. I remember the author said that the story was inspired by her grandmother's death so I see the strong message this series about accepting mortality.

This seson ginish adapting the Past Arc. Then it will be the Present Arc to adapt if they decide to do it of course.

Overall, I like this series so much! Fushi of course! It was amazing to see him as an adult!
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:13 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that the pacing feels fast, but I'm not sure how much manga content this was. It could be that there wasn't really a good point to end at until the Tonari reveal? Regardless I'm excited despite what manga readers keep saying. I didn't hate the first season as much as many people seemed to so maybe I won't hate it as much going forward.

I just finished the first season yesterday and honestly I'd say this season feels like it looks slightly better than the Jananda arc did production wise. Nowhere near the highs the beginning of season 1 had, but ok enough that it's not distracting me. One thing that kinda stuck out for some bizzare reason was the fact that The Beholder moves his mouth while talking now, where he never did I season 1. I wonder if that's a directorial choice or if it actually means something (probably the former).

Also come on, Fushi has been alive for how long and has been poisoned like 7 times and he still doesn't have a way to avoid being drugged? I thought it was ridiculous how many times he fell for it in the first season but after another 40 years?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has only read the first arc of the manga (volume 12; that is, up to where this season is likely to end), I thought it was good or very good up until that point. I could be wrong, but it seems that complaints about the manga apply to what took place in the recently concluded second arc, and thus is not relevant to this season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly ok with how the story is unfolding, but when even I notice how janky and off-model the animation is, there's a problem.

Is it just me, or have a lot of series over the last two or three seasons started using closeups of characters' eyes more often to avoid animating anything? I feel like I'm seeing it used when there's no real dramatic reason for it more than in the past.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Older lady Tonari was awfully careless with the Nokker in the kid. Didn't feel like a particularly natural tragedy--more like To Your Eternity had gone an entire episode without someone close to Spherey suffering a tragic death, so it needed to rectify that obvious narrative failing immediately..]

Spoilering since it's about the latest episode, just in case. Nothing from the manga though, which I haven't read.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
As an anime-only fan, I too was convinced that the anime was skipping material or cutting corners with the story. I decided to read the manga chapters that these first two episodes were adapted from, and I was shocked to see how accurate the adaptation is. Almost every panel, if not every panel, was animated, and I didn't notice any obvious omissions. I think the story works that way (more or less) in manga form, but I don't think the same can be said for the anime. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I almost think the anime would have benefited from some meaningful anime-only content to pad out the big reveals. I feel like spoiler[Tonari's death] or the scene when spoiler[Fushi transforms into Tonari] would have been a better stopping point for an episode.

I'm enjoying the show so far, and I haven't noticed as many glaring production quality issues as the reviewer, but I'm in 100% agreement that the show deserves better visuals.

Spoiler tags were used to hide reveals from Episode 2, so if you've already watched it, you'll be fine.
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
Production values could be better for sure, but I didn't even really notice because I still love the show a lot. Though I am also disappointed about the re-use of Pink Blood; it's not a bad song, but it never stood out much to me and I really would have liked a new theme song.

Episode 2 spoilers:
spoiler[This might be me seeing something that's not intentional, but I like the contrast between Hayase's and Tonari's deaths. Both wanted to become a part of Fushi after death, but while Hayase was fueled by selfish obsession, Tonari used it as her gift to him, to give him a body that could be useful in the future.]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:24 am Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I almost think the anime would have benefited from some meaningful anime-only content to pad out the big reveals. I feel like spoiler[Tonari's death] or the scene when spoiler[Fushi transforms into Tonari] would have been a better stopping point for an episode.

I feel like you don't really need new scenes to pad out the big reveals, but you do need to give scenes time to breathe. It feels like this anime is moving from scene to scene with no consideration of the mood it's trying to establish, being more concerned with conveying information rather than emotion
moozooh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
As someone who has only read the first arc of the manga (volume 12; that is, up to where this season is likely to end), I thought it was good or very good up until that point. I could be wrong, but it seems that complaints about the manga apply to what took place in the recently concluded second arc, and thus is not relevant to this season.

Oh no, certainly not just the second arc. The writing was on the wall all along.

spoiler[Basically, Bon was the character who was just way too smart for this series and found a way to break it by proving Fushi can resurrect people. Prior to that we were urged, or sometimes forced, to feel bad for a major character passing, and that constituted the main source of drama for the viewer. But after the reveal it became impossible to feel bad about anyone important dying, and all dramatic stakes went completely out the window to never return. The narrative could've still be salvaged if the series had a relevant character conflict or a well-written antagonist, but Fushi's motivation doesn't have a clear goal nor something for which we can meaningfully gauge his progress after a certain point that comes prior to the reveal, and knockers are horrible, worthless antagonists that amount to nothing more than a convenient time bomb mechanism for Fushi to avoid staying in one place for too long (the length of which, to be fair, still varies with the whims of the writer), but then even that stops being a major issue. The black hood narrator dude just puts more oil on the fire by being an inconsistent and useless infodump incarnate that infuriates everyone.]

To summarize, after that one point the series completely runs out of meaningful things to say, and with every new chapter you just realize how pointless everything happening on screen is.

But if all of that was plain poor planning, the second big arc is just a textbook example of jumping the shark. It's just horrible from the get-go.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

The Uralis Kingdom arc is the most fun and colorful arc in To Your Eternity. It's a shame to see it botched in the anime. Once again, it feels like we're speedrunning the story, and the characters and scenes are not given enough time to breathe.

I really like the riot that is Bonchien Nicoli La Tasty Peach Uralis, and I'm happy to finally see him onscreen, I'm just disappointed that they're not doing his arc justice. Oh well, at this point I've given up on getting a decent adaptation out of this, so I'll just be content that we get to see Bon.
zekro94

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I said when they announced the voice cast for Bon that I thought Kenjiro Tsuda might have been a better fit, however after the latest episode I must say that Takehito Koyasu does an amazing job, feels like Bo-bobo a little
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The way the staff is showing Fushi's interactions with the reincarnations kinda felt too fast especially with how the scene of he visiting the village barely took some minutes. Fushi's interactions with other characters were the reason why the first season was quite popular especially Gugu whom he learned a bit of independence. Now I hope that the new reincarnated and Prince Koyasu get some proper screentime to see a reasonable impact on Fushi's life. I also hope the Beholder to keep acting more like a character in future chapters.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:43 am Reply with quote
One bit I did enjoy this episode was Fushi making bricks from their feet, combining both the creative laziness Fushi sometimes seems prone to (if they're formed in place, they don't need to be lifted), and the classic image of a kid strolling along the top of a wall or fence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2