• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Crosses 230.75 Million Global Paid Subscribers, Co-CEO Reed Hastings Steps Down

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:25 am Reply with quote
I wonder if he stepped down as he knows this is the peak and now it will go down in value so he is cashing his chips.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:27 am Reply with quote
Man Netflix has been so hit or miss with their content (with a lot more misses). If it wasn’t for the fact I have family members who watch on my account I would have cancelled long ago.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:06 am Reply with quote
Kiwi93 wrote:
Man Netflix has been so hit or miss with their content (with a lot more misses). If it wasn’t for the fact I have family members who watch on my account I would have cancelled long ago.

Well soon they're going block sharing to locations other than your main home so you might be out soon too
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Kiwi93 wrote:

Well soon they're going block sharing to locations other than your main home so you might be out soon too

I’m really curious to see how effective this is going to be once it starts to roll out, but you’re right once it does roll out I’ll be out I have no point holding on to my sub at that point if my family can’t watch.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:33 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
I wonder if he stepped down as he knows this is the peak and now it will go down in value so he is cashing his chips.

Apparently he’s been wanting to wind down and retire for a bit.

The subscriber gains can feel like a rather pointed repudiation of complaints concerning a lot of cult shows getting canceled on the grounds of low viewership. The streaming environment is going to remain turbulent for much of this year, that much is sure.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Lets see if they can do this in a way that doesn't fudge you for taking your phone/tablet/laptop to another location and trying to watch using the wifi there. I'm concerned it will be like you're saying and based on location which is bull shit.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:53 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Lets see if they can do this in a way that doesn't fudge you for taking your phone/tablet/laptop to another location and trying to watch using the wifi there. I'm concerned it will be like you're saying and based on location which is bull shit.

Pretty sure it's only if your account is streaming to multiple places simultaneously. So, you alone can stream from anywhere, but if you start streaming from Alaska while your partner is streaming from Louisiana, one of you is going to get cut off.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:06 pm Reply with quote
^I don't even believe you get cut off, you just have to verify with a code like 2FA that it's your account
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:03 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Pretty sure it's only if your account is streaming to multiple places simultaneously. So, you alone can stream from anywhere, but if you start streaming from Alaska while your partner is streaming from Louisiana, one of you is going to get cut off.

How is that going to work when some people have to travel to different states/countries for work?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

How is that going to work when some people have to travel to different states/countries for work?

Probably not very well. Netflix has been asked about this a bunch of times and has never given a clear answer. Frankly I think it'll be a mess and a lot of people who travel are going to be locked out of their accounts.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:59 am Reply with quote
This should be pretty simple to police, the same way you get notified if you log onto something with a new device and get a message on your cell phone to verify if it's actually you. They could send you a code on your cell phone or an email which you then use to verify your identity, this could be time limited so you don't have time to share this info if someone else is using your account.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Apparently he’s been wanting to wind down and retire for a bit.

The subscriber gains can feel like a rather pointed repudiation of complaints concerning a lot of cult shows getting canceled on the grounds of low viewership. The streaming environment is going to remain turbulent for much of this year, that much is sure.

he's the founder of the company so he's became just the chairman of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1