• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ayakashi Triangle Anime Delays Episodes 5 & Beyond

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ayakashi Triangle is the third Aniplex television anime this season to suffer from delays, following NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a and UniteUp!.

Three different animation studios, same producer, same trouble.
How does this happen? If this happened to a single studio, I would understand. But this?
James02

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:55 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Quote:
Ayakashi Triangle is the third Aniplex television anime this season to suffer from delays, following NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a and UniteUp!.

How does this happen? If this happened to a single studio, I would understand. But this?

What are the other two anime delayed this season? I know this and Megaton Musashi are both delayed, but I wouldn't count Megaton Musashi since it hasn't aired a single episode yet this year.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:15 am Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
What are the other two anime delayed this season?

Among Aniplex anime, NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a and UniteUp!.
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:33 am Reply with quote
I'm half expecting the madoka movie to not come out till late 2024-early 2025 with all these weird aniplex delays
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:10 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Pfft, there can easily be four - the rumor has it that The Misfit of Demon King Academy also got affected and soon announce the delay along the way, considering Silver Link and CONNECT being literally the same studio and it's also produced by Aniplex, so the only one remaining of them will be the second season of BOFURI (which is Kadokawa anime).

Truly, a certified moment of screwing up.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:26 am Reply with quote
Certainly makes isekai uncle look more legitamate for also having these problems. Though I don't think anything will keep some people blaming the studio for how often it was delayed. Turns out lots of people sick with covid makes it hard for production to meet their airing schedule.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:37 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit more inclined to think that it's less Covid (though that may be a partial reason) and more mismanagement on the part of Aniplex considering that non-Aniplex shows don't seem to be stalled because of Covid.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:51 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Certainly makes isekai uncle look more legitamate for also having these problems. Though I don't think anything will keep some people blaming the studio for how often it was delayed. Turns out lots of people sick with covid makes it hard for production to meet their airing schedule.
Well, Isekai Ojisan was basically the situation where the only newly established Atelier Pontdarc with like only 4 permanent staff people got themselves in the crazy situation of dealing with Kadokawa (and yes, they are about the same as Aniplex - just look up at KanColle ItsuUmi disaster) when they needed a LOT of reliance to outsourcing to begin with just to keep with demands - so it wasn't the studio was supposed to be blamed with.

And yes, COVID actually affected the situation... except we talking about not just the COVID situation in Japan, but also China - because the major outsourcing workflow comes from there, especially on the shows with crazy tight schedules - and by whole irony, that is exactly the case of why now Aniplex literally put the whole circus with their production committees.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:42 am Reply with quote
Just like with the gaming industry when it comes to the ever increasing production costs and scale I have to wonder how sustainable this all is. It would be easy to just blame it all on Aniplex and be done with it, but it feels like a larger problem.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:36 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
[And yes, COVID actually affected the situation... except we talking about not just the COVID situation in Japan, but also China - because the major outsourcing workflow comes from there, especially on the shows with crazy tight schedules - and by whole irony, that is exactly the case of why now Aniplex literally put the whole circus with their production committees.

Was just about to say this. I get it that many people are desperate to be ~insider~ on anime production and how it's collapsing because too many [insert genre they don't like] shows are being made etc., and sure, I'm not saying there aren't huge issues with anime production in Japan, but in this particular situation with all these delays the main problem is in fact with China. Like you said, China is the main provider of outsourced work, and China is not only a pretty damn bad situation right now re: covid, their communication has been completely untrustworthy for months now, and they're restricting information about the real situation in the country. Plus, for obvious reasons Chinese companies/freelancers that handle the outsourced work won't say something like "hey guys, we think you shouldn't give us too many jobs in the next few months because we may not be able to handle it." What they usually do is accept all the jobs, do their best, and then throw in the towel when they inevitably can't keep up, by which time it's usually too late for production to be able to find an alternative.

So as much as conspiracy theories and doomerism re: anime production may be fun, I think the most plausible explanation here is that many production committees/staff saw the vague and likely not entirely trustworthy info re: the situation of their Chinese vendors, weighed the pros and cons, and decided to push ahead with the already super tight schedules on their way too many shows, hoping for the best... and the best didn't happen.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:22 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Just like with the gaming industry when it comes to the ever increasing production costs and scale I have to wonder how sustainable this all is. It would be easy to just blame it all on Aniplex and be done with it, but it feels like a larger problem.

Not really a problem. Games have increasingly become mainstream and despite the game industry bull shit about prices remaining stagnant, they for a while now have been supplementing the $60 cost of a new game with microtransaction so they're selling more and supplementing past the initial purchase. Anime has been getting increasingly more money from foreign licensing. Now the extra money from these things is being put back into production is not a guarantee (and from ANN articles sounds like often doesn't happen), but there is more revenue coming from the products to cover increasing costs.

encrypted12345 wrote:
I'm a bit more inclined to think that it's less Covid (though that may be a partial reason) and more mismanagement on the part of Aniplex considering that non-Aniplex shows don't seem to be stalled because of Covid.

100% a sign that management fucked up. Most of the world has figured out how to get work done post-Covid. Apparently certain industries in Japan have been slow to adapt. This isn't first 6 months covid when a lot of companies had a huge and understandable struggle to allow remote work. Like has been said here, it isn't all anime across the board having this issue. Certain productions with incompetent management are claiming this as a bull shit deflection, and other productions are going on just fine.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
Well this sucks. I'm enjoying the show. Mind you, it's not like I'm hurting for shows. I'm following an absurd number this season. Still, I'll be happy when this production gets back on track.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:38 am Reply with quote
What on earth is Aniplex doing?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:40 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Was just about to say this. I get it that many people are desperate to be ~insider~ on anime production and how it's collapsing because too many [insert genre they don't like] shows are being made etc., and sure, I'm not saying there aren't huge issues with anime production in Japan, but in this particular situation with all these delays the main problem is in fact with China. Like you said, China is the main provider of outsourced work, and China is not only a pretty damn bad situation right now re: covid, their communication has been completely untrustworthy for months now, and they're restricting information about the real situation in the country. Plus, for obvious reasons Chinese companies/freelancers that handle the outsourced work won't say something like "hey guys, we think you shouldn't give us too many jobs in the next few months because we may not be able to handle it." What they usually do is accept all the jobs, do their best, and then throw in the towel when they inevitably can't keep up, by which time it's usually too late for production to be able to find an alternative.

So as much as conspiracy theories and doomerism re: anime production may be fun, I think the most plausible explanation here is that many production committees/staff saw the vague and likely not entirely trustworthy info re: the situation of their Chinese vendors, weighed the pros and cons, and decided to push ahead with the already super tight schedules on their way too many shows, hoping for the best... and the best didn't happen.
Well, there also comes the fact that it's not just only COVID when it comes to situation of outsourcing to China, particularly with the Winter season and tight schedules - there is also a second thing, and that's... yep, Chinese/Lunar New Year. Just recently Kanta Kamei gave some small ranting on Twitter by mentioning Aniplex - describing the situation that giving the job of outsourcing cuts to the Chinese studios during the holidays is nearly impossible during that time, even if they increase the payment to work in holidays 3-5 times the initial price per cut.

Really crazy how just a small number of days in improper scheduling and certain lack of manpower to compensate for it can crumble the whole production of the series and lead to an even greater drain for the costs, isn't it right?
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:05 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Just recently Kanta Kamei gave some small ranting on Twitter by mentioning Aniplex - describing the situation that giving the job of outsourcing cuts to the Chinese studios during the holidays is nearly impossible during that time, even if they increase the payment to work in holidays 3-5 times the initial price per cut.

Although he has good points, considering he's got some works with Aniplex (the most recent being Kaguya-sama), mentioning the company by name is kinda risky of... well, burning bridges.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2