• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why but the Japanese actors give the characters a different feel from their English counterparts. Maybe it's because I find 9S more comedic with Natsuki Hanae's performance and the perfect English he has in the first bad ending when he says "Black box!" 2B kinda reminds me of Lightning from FF but more dynamic with the "younger" guy following her.

Also, the robots in episode 3.... they were f#.... Robots are cute!
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I appreciated but didn't love Automata when I played through it a few years back. I'm interested to see just how far reaching these alterations will end up being, and how it affects people's enjoyment.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Never played the game. Is it true that I can watch this and still find it enjoyable?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah - by now while the adaptation totally keeps the atmosphere of the game with many important scenes, landscapes (props to the background team for really replicating the exact locations, where the fans totally can say "Yep, this is the exact spot") and Keichi Okabe beautiful musical accompaniment — it still can raise a question "is there a little bit more there than just adapting the game?" with its subtle changes, like Lily fully replaced Anemone from the game (but that can be a red herring by knowing Taro already done that with the stage plays) and mixing up the Plato 1728 story from the DLC with flowers short story from the Automata guidebook, and knowing how Taro loves to troll audience - it's very possible.

tintor2 wrote:
I don't know why but the Japanese actors give the characters a different feel from their English counterparts. Maybe it's because I find 9S more comedic with Natsuki Hanae's performance and the perfect English he has in the first bad ending when he says "Black box!"
Well, there is also the fact that it's already nearly 6 years from the release of the game, and Hana-chan during that time went from the "that guy who voiced Kaneki in Tokyo Ghoul" to the one heck of a massive funny entertainer (well, considering along his seiyuu work he's also one of the most popular Japanese Youtube content creators), and it really shines with this puppet comedy "bad ending" skits.

Quote:
2B kinda reminds me of Lightning from FF but more dynamic with the "younger" guy following her
Well, considering Yui Ishikawa voiced Mikasa from AoT, which was basically the same archetype as 2B...
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:25 pm Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
Never played the game. Is it true that I can watch this and still find it enjoyable?
Well, by now there is nothing that can stop you from enjoying the ride for sure with the story - while there are some subtle things that exist exactly to tickle the brains of the fans, it's still self-sufficient by now.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:

The game part of the game was by far the weakest aspect of the game, so it really just comes down to how good the anime soundtrack will be.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:07 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:

The game part of the game was by far the weakest aspect of the game, so it really just comes down to how good the anime soundtrack will be.

While I don't necessarily disagree with this, the wording makes it sound like the gameplay isn't up to snuff. Which, it's actually pretty good. It's just the soundtrack and story are so outstanding, that pretty good gameplay isn't the same as outstanding gameplay.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:35 pm Reply with quote
OncelostLu wrote:
meiam wrote:
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:

While I don't necessarily disagree with this, the wording makes it sound like the gameplay isn't up to snuff. Which, it's actually pretty good. It's just the soundtrack and story are so outstanding, that pretty good gameplay isn't the same as outstanding gameplay.

The gameplay isn't up to snuff. At best it can be called functional, just about any action game blow it out of the water. It's water downed platinum gameplay, so unless you've played every platinum game and DMC (and ninja gaiden and...) there's pretty much no reason to play automata if the anime turns out to be decent.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:56 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The gameplay isn't up to snuff. At best it can be called functional, just about any action game blow it out of the water. It's water downed platinum gameplay, so unless you've played every platinum game and DMC (and ninja gaiden and...) there's pretty much no reason to play automata if the anime turns out to be decent.
Well, ain't that too hot take — considering both NieR games are known as prime examples of using the game as a medium to the max to tell its narrative on par with the Metal Gear series, and there is a way more narrative mechanics than just slashing things while enjoying the story that hard to be replicated — and even with a decent adaptation anime can be just a streamlined retelling of its main story at max and not give a full experience.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:09 am Reply with quote
What's really messing me up is that Yoko Taro has gone on record to say everything is canon so my brain keeps tripping over all the little differences that don't seem like they can coexist together (Lily/Anemone being the most obvious right now).
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:45 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
What's really messing me up is that Yoko Taro has gone on record to say everything is canon so my brain keeps tripping over all the little differences that don't seem like they can coexist together (Lily/Anemone being the most obvious right now).

Hey make sure to go over the crossover material from Final Fantasy 14, babylions fall, the mobile game, and the others. They are also important remember
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:12 pm Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:

The show so far seems to be perfectly fine for newcomers.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Hey make sure to go over the crossover material from Final Fantasy 14, babylions fall, the mobile game, and the others. They are also important remember

Don't forget the pachinko game and the pamphlet handed out at the orchestral concert. I'm glad you understand my concerns Razz
zekro94

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:15 pm Reply with quote
9S shocked me at the end of the episode (already anxious to see the interaction with Pascal), this adaptation might diverge in an interesting way from the game (which already has, not having Anemone for example)
This is how you adapt a game! I can't wait to see the next episode not knowing if will follow the same route of the game or diverging in different ways.
Also, having the commander speak with the council of humanity really adds that mystery for new viewers which the game didin't have time to do (or didn't want to do it)
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, I ran back through some playthroughs of the game just to be sure, and feel free to correct me in the comments if I'm wrong, but this is the first time we've ever seen 2B perform a hack herself, right? 2B having to bust out a hitherto unknown ability to rescue 9S from Simone's mind feels like a pretty big deal so far as divergences go, especially when Pod makes a point to mention the threat of corruption that a B-Type Unit is risking by attempting such a feat.
Well, it's both yes and no - while I do not really remember 2B doing the hack herself too, but it's the Pods are capable of assisting the hacking process spoiler[which comes relevant multiple times during the A2 playthrough - considering she's older-gen YoRHa android and surely not have the hacking abilities either] - so that kind of revelation is not really divergent from what the story of the game provides, just a small nice detail.

Quote:
Also, that final scene where 9S brutally murders the last surviving Robots that were attending the play feels very much like something the 9S of the game's finale would have pulled; the brazenness of it feels a bit out of character for the guy at such an early stage of the story. It could be a brief lapse in consistency…or maybe it's a bit of foreshadowing for even bigger changes to come?
Yeah, that kinda made me confused too that 9S already going killing spree for machines which clearly shows no aggression that early in the plot... especially when the next episode is supposed to be a meeting with even more peaceful machines. spoiler[Also considering how much presence Jean-Paul had during the Simone fight - now I wonder if anime include him along the way to expand that even further.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5