• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tsuma, Shōgakusei ni Naru Manga Gets Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ampharos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a comedic take on the 2004 movie Birth, only with genders changed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
It's actually pretty dramatic and I can see several points being quite divisive. Namely spoiler[the man decides to marry his wife again when she gets older] and spoiler[the abusive mother.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Well according to the promo brief, she has all her memories of being his wife. He didn't move on, and she is moving forward. I have no problem if they remarry when she comes of age. Life is short, you can't put you life on hold, because some people don't approve. The complainers don't care about his or hers happiness.

Connor MacLeod loved his Heather, even when she aged and he didn't.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I think that's a "ni", not a "na".
JustMonika

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:
This sounds like a comedic take on the 2004 movie Birth, only with genders changed.

I was about to say the same thing but you beat me to it, lol
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, that is definitely a premise. I guess it all comes down to execution.
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Live action series was great so I have no doubts that this will be too.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:15 am Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:

And it's another manga/anime with dead wife/mom number #100th or more and widowed husband/dad #100th or more. As usual, there's no manga/anime with the other way around.
RealNath

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:42 am Reply with quote
Heard some people said that the story got uncomfortable spoiler[(not sure if it's due to she having the adult mind, which makes it kinda pedophilic; or it simply straying from the story) because she, who is now an elementary school student, wants to date an elementary school boy and told the main character (the husband) to move on.] Something along the line of that. Is it true? How does this issue end?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
RealNath wrote:
Heard some people said that the story got uncomfortable spoiler[(not sure if it's due to she having the adult mind, which makes it kinda pedophilic; or it simply straying from the story) because she, who is now an elementary school student, wants to date an elementary school boy and told the main character (the husband) to move on.] Something along the line of that. Is it true? How does this issue end?

spoiler[I've been reading the manga, and as the story is shaping up, can't see her ending up with the husband again. Though I wouldn't have an issue if it happens(past time skip of course).
I also don't see any problem if she adjust to her new life and DOES date someone else in the school in the process, after all she IS school-aged herself.]

The manga is still ongoing so a lot can change depending on the author.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:26 pm Reply with quote
If she has no intention of being with him again, she should not have introduced herself. That would be sheer torture.

So we are going to beat her up over the age gap, if she gets back with her husband, and we are going to beat her up for wanting to date kids her own physical age, cause she is mentally an adult.

Looks like there is no winning there, and everyone is rooting for her to be lonely and unhappy.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
RealNath wrote:

spoiler[I've been reading the manga, and as the story is shaping up, can't see her ending up with the husband again. Though I wouldn't have an issue if it happens(past time skip of course).
I also don't see any problem if she adjust to her new life and DOES date someone else in the school in the process, after all she IS school-aged herself.]

The manga is still ongoing so a lot can change depending on the author.
Maybe the translation is not over, but the manga ended in December
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Not really familiar with this but spoiler[going by the descriptions I find the idea of her getting with someone her own age waaaaaay grosser than I do the husband. Kind of way more iffy consent issues there.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1