• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dead Mount Death Play (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: The Mad Dog

Summary: Polka's recent activities have caught the eye of a police unit dedicated to hunting down the most bizarre and seemingly superhuman offenders. To a peace-seeking necromancer, these cops could be worse trouble than the criminals he's fallen in with! [-Fan Wikia]

Comments: Arase seems borderline psychotic, which I suppose is only a bad thing if you're on the wrong side of the law. But given the anti-hero group Corpse God has established, and considering that they've all probably got a history of unlawfulness, Arase and Iwanome, more than likely, won't cut them any kind of slack.

As cops, they do seem to be quite vigilant, though. I can definitely see them as being a bit overzealous, but not corrupt. There's some good potential here for some dynamic tones amongst all the different groups that seem to be present. Lemmings might just be an absolute wild card in how certain plot points progress or diverge. There are so many sides after just four episodes. At least the show isn't boring.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun May 21, 2023 2:06 am; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:31 am Reply with quote
Huh, episode 5 went a bit different than how I expected it to go. Lemmings his goal was not to kill Polka, though his actual goal is rather unclear. We have now stepped into family drama in what seems to be a situation where people are killed off to secure a large amount of money. The question is who to trust in said family.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: The Monster

Summary: Just when he thought the cops were bad enough, Polka comes face to face with Lemmings, Shinjuku's most legendary criminal. Will Polka reveal his necromancy to save his new friends? And will his powers even be enough to save them if he does? [-Fan Wikia]

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat May 20, 2023 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:44 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wonder what the "Dead Mount" in the title refers to?

There's probably more to it, but Polka's surname Shinoyama (四乃山), is a pun on Death Mountain (but rather than using the character for "death" (死) it's written with the character for "four" (四)). And as we can see from this last episode, there are a crapton of Shinoyamas in this, so there's the potential for a mountain of bodies by the time their internecine power struggle is resolved.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:00 am Reply with quote
So far this show is either going to end up one of my years favorite or a total dud. Not sure much is coming together but it’s all a bit interesting and I am liking the reverse Isekai. Just not entirely clicking with the MC and his merry band of criminals. But I keep seeing potential everywhere.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:21 am Reply with quote
It is interesting, though I have to admit that it has not gone in the direction that I would have expected. Hopefully the family drama does not drag on for very long.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I liked the shark-loving NEET, er, I mean, "bedroom security officer." I hope we see more of her. Still not sure about the relationship between the spirit woman and the twins. They call her sister but was she their actual sister? Or an aunt? It's not clear to me.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:47 am Reply with quote
She's their older sister.

Basically, it's confusing because Polka is so much younger than his older brother, so most of his nieces/nephews are older than he is. They did briefly show how the family tree looks this episode, though I couldn't tell you the time stamp.

Rozan (age 79) is the father of Gaku (age 48, not yet shown onscreen) and Polka (age 16). Gaku is the father of, in age order, Takeru (glasses jerk), Suzuka (dead ghost lady), Sayo (shark NEET), and the twins.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Darkmagick, that certainly clears things up. I did catch that there was a 30 year age gap between Polka and his brother.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 06: The Firestarter

Summary: Keeping his promise to a ghost, Polka returns to his family's mansion with Misaki in tow. Can the necromancer fool the people who know the real Polka best? And can he save them from an unknown threat without arousing their suspicions? [-Fan Wikia]

Comments: The family dynamic could be interesting. I get this feeling that somebody is definitely plotting devious things to seize power or fortune. And then there's still the potential of crossover from the fantasy world.

But is the otherworldly transference just from world to world? If orcery exists in the modern world, what if the worlds aren't, in fact, separated by dimension, but are actually in the same universe and separated by time? But then I guess it would end up being a time travel show, and not isekai. Actually, has there ever been a franchise that was both isekai and time travel? That actually sounds like a neat idea, depending on the execution.

The twins struck me as borderline pompous rich kids, at first. But it's good to see their near-death experience might've straightened them out or, at least, made them less annoying in the future.

Screen Caps:

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Actually, has there ever been a franchise that was both isekai and time travel?

I'm Standing on 1,000,000 Lives. was, but not in the way you're thinking. The MC's group kept getting transported into another, game-like world, and when they were returned, no time had elapsed in their original world while they were away. But often in the other world, many years had passed between the times they were isekai'ed, even though only a few days or weeks had gone by in their home world. Like they'd be isekai'ed and find themselves dealing with the grown children of people they'd known the last time. Unless it can get another season to wrap things up though, I'm not sure I can recommend it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:55 pm Reply with quote
So more of an iseaki loop with a time warp between the worlds? That seems different enough than just the one-time jump from one world to the other. Looking at the ratings and production info, it doesn't seem like that great of a show. I think I'll put it on my list, but just save it for when I've caught up on more of my backlog.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 was quite interesting. The family drama was finished (for now) and we now have several factions that are going to interact with each other. There is Polka's group, the supernatural police, Polka's family and their army, plus magician man who has teamed up with the fire bug. Magician man is also quite the character.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I was glad to see Sayo the shark NEET show up at the end. Presumably that means she'll be a recurring character. Yes, it certainly is an interesting group of factions out there.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I am also curious about magic man and fire bug apparently both not having special powers according to magic man. The fight between the two had plenty of actions that are a bit hard to explain away with logic and tricks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4