• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(An) Archdemon's Dilemma - How to Love Your Elf Bride (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:13 pm Reply with quote

(An) Archdemon's Dilemma - How to Love Your Elf Bride (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 17 volumes, written by Fuminori Teshima, illustrated by COMTA)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Brain's Base

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, romance

Themes: demi-humans, elves, medieval, sorcery

Plot Summary: Zagan is a super powerful sorcerer, but lives as a recluse. And now he faces his greatest test… falling in love. Zagan is feared by the masses as an evil sorcerer. Both socially awkward and foulmouthed, he spends his days studying sorcery while beating down any trespassers within his domain.

One day he's invited to a dark auction, and what he finds there is an elven slave girl of peerless beauty, Nephy. Having fallen in love at first sight, Zagan uses up his entire fortune to purchase her, but being a poor conversationalist, he has no idea how to properly interact with her.

Thus, the awkward cohabitation of a sorcerer who has no idea how to convey his love and his slave who yearns for her master but has no idea how to appeal to him begins.

Air Date & Platform:
April 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:02 am Reply with quote
Huh, there not being a single post for this show is a bit of a surprise. Archdemon is not anime of the season or anything but it is a pretty compelling story of two broken people healing and growing together.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 9:52 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Huh, there not being a single post for this show is a bit of a surprise. Archdemon is not anime of the season or anything but it is a pretty compelling story of two broken people healing and growing together.

The slavery angle is probably a turn off for many. Its not bad enough to trigger morbid curiosity or hate-watching. And it doesn't have the presentation chops or hype of shows like Shield Hero or Ancient Magus Bride to overcome that particular hurdle.

I do like it, for the reason you point out. But, the fact that in the last episode I've seen, Nephy still calls Zagan "master" is...kinda uncomfortable for the relationship I supposed to get invested in. So I get the lack of popularity.

edit- having now seen the most recent episode...well, she is referring to him by name. And wearing the collar again. Again, part sweet. Part kinda eww.

Last edited by b-dragon on Fri May 03, 2024 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 9:58 am Reply with quote
I didn't even bother sampling this at the beginning of the new season because I'm kind of over the "supposedly harsh guy spoiling a cute girl" trope. However, since smurky is practically BEGGING me to take a look, I may give it a try. Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Having just finished the sixth episode I really like the show thus far. The slave aspect has been minimized and besides the bond between two broken people there is also a decent system of magic and action to enjoy. The side characters are not too bad either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1