• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Appleseed Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about anyone else but I"m diggin it just as much as Innocence. It will be interesting to see how it translates compared to the original from, what 1986?
eva05

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
The music is really killing the vibe for me. I'm not really liking what I hear in Innocence either but it's a huge step above the rock-pop in this Appleseed trailer.

j
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:33 am Reply with quote
Take it from me, I love music more than anime and I know like 3000 some tunes. I can sing any of them, lip sync all of them and I'm to the point of being able to 95% lip sync a song I havn't heard before ine nglish or japanese.

If I'm bragging or exagerating at all, it's very little.

I say this to provide background for my next statement. I like the music, but this could change upon hearing the rest of the soundtrack. I'll say this now, electronica, trance, and 'intelligent techno' provide an atmosphere which in turn provide emotions. With proper control you can create awesome back drops for scenes and convey whatever you wish to convey with great strength. I also greatly enjoy dance electronica and as of late Rap electronica (mostly rap, not so much electronica boo) and I don't much like rap x_x.

Anyways, this new trailer is friggen awesome. I want to see this even more now haha and the music is real emotional, maken me shiver. Sadly I had the sound off this time around, so I bet I'd get an adrenaline rush next time I see it hehe.

As far as innocence goes, I don't know the music well enough yet, but then again I expect it to be sureal, so bring it on! hehe, latas.

Oh yeh, pop? C'mon, the only true pop music out there is the blatant sexual crap, the pretty and cute cliche crap and the kill everyone, drugs, sex, money rebellion rap star crap

Everything else has merrit to me, even country, but they all have their cliches. Electronica onlyshows me more goodness, it's what i'm into right now. Apartment 26, whole new genre of electronica. As friggen weird as they are, Duct Tape Mustache is insane. Oh eh, they a local group \m/ Anime smile I love music.
eva05

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
Well that's all fine and good but I still hate the music in the trailer Twisted Evil

If we need to discuss music collections ability etc. to add veracity to our opinion, I have well over 2000 CDs (way too many). This discounts 12" records and 7" records (which are too many to count, even after selling off all the stuff I had duplicated on CD last summer).

I was in a band that toured the world 3x called Discordance Axis. I didn't need to lip synch, I wrote my own songs Razz

j
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Alright i'll admit defeat without battling for a winner. I'll also listen to the album given a chance. I have much faith in the style of music. Electronica is a wave apart from what we hear everyday. It is not pop. It is a separate culture with it's own set of pop within it. I'm sure you know what that is like being an anime fan. ^^
Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:11 pm Reply with quote
soley
Zeiram wrote:
Electronica is a wave apart from what we hear everyday. It is not pop. It is a separate culture with it's own set of pop within it.

Oh, it's much more than that....you can't really even really classify electronica as merely such anymore because it's evolved way beyond just being merely orchestrated solely with synthesizers and a sturdy computer. Like you said, it's a wave apart from what we hear everyday...but it's so much more than just another genre or music.

I love dance clubs in Tokyo and especially Osaka; these places don't exactly have the best wrap about them, what with plenty having somewhat of a yakuza influence (or being owned/operated by). But if you can, go to a known quality club, it's a world within its own.

Zeiram wrote:
Take it from me, I love music more than anime and I know like 3000 some tunes. I can sing any of them, lip sync all of them and I'm to the point of being able to 95% lip sync a song I havn't heard before ine nglish or japanese.

Well, if Britney Spears can lip sync to music, I suppose you could, too......

Dude, I'm only kidding. Heaven knows I only poke fun because I enjoy music too.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:44 pm Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
The music is really killing the vibe for me. I'm not really liking what I hear in Innocence either but it's a huge step above the rock-pop in this Appleseed trailer.

I'm no music expert like the two of you are, although my music collection does come close to 1000 cds (never was into vynil, and I ditched my tapes).

But I must say that I rather enjoyed what I heard of the Appleseed soundtrack (although I didn't like the third piece of music as much as the first two). This is merely the subjective opinion of one person though, not the semi-objectified opinion of an expert. Of course, I am quite simply a fan of most techno music, although there is a lot of electronica that I'm not so fond of.

Getting into the semi-objectified opinion of a reviewer, the music does sound apropriate for the scenes it accompanied, but there's no where near enough content to that trailer to actually form a real conclusion.

Generally speaking, the style of music is completely irrelevant when it comes to a soundtrack. It has more to do with how the tempo and the feel of the particular piece matches, or compliments, what is happenning on the screen. There are exceptions of course, the choice of Jazz of Cowboy Bebop for example. Any other style of music would not have been as appropriate.
Ventile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:50 pm Reply with quote
It was a pleasant surprise for me to hear the Basement Jaxx with Good Luck throughout the second half of this trailer Very Happy
That song is currently becoming a hit in the Netherlands, and I believe it already is a major in their home-country the UK.
I still have my doubts about the animation but the soundtrack just can't go wrong for me anymore being a long time fan of the BJ Very Happy
eva05

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:45 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

I'm no music expert like the two of you are...

Surprised

I think I'm about as much of an expert as anyone

Everyone's got their own taste obviously Anime smile

j
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Its all about the "aesthetic experience"

to each there own basically.
Mikuji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not worried about the music, it's a trailer after all... but woo looks like a lot of fun there! Really looking forwards to it now Anime hyper
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why but I'm just not as excited about seeing a CGI movie anymore. I prefer old-fashioned hand-drawn anime. That said, the trailer looks sweet.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I admit that while hand drawn animation is often times better, the trailer looks awsome Surprised . 3D animation that looks like this just blows my mind. Between seeing this and the FFVII: Advent Children trailer i'm stunned at how well they look. I can't wait until i can see both of those movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1