• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Shuffle, Peach Girl, Slayers to Hulu

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Well,if they're gonna do this,than,I'd much rather it be on CR. I really love that h.264 quality and huge screen.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Still US only.

Ah well, the shows are probably dubbed in English, anyway.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Still US only.

Well,I'm pretty sure it sux for you and anime fans abroad. But,I assure you they aren't dubbed. In addition,Shikabane Hime isn't even licensed and is currently running in Japan. So... yeah. Cool
BenBrown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Still US only.

Some are dubbed some are subbed. Shikabane Hime, for instance, is subbed. You can also watch Hulu outside of the US, a simple google search would let you know how.

Also as far as quality vs crunchy roll, I find Hulu to be just fine, the high rez (480p) looks just fine on my 37". It also makes me feel like they're getting a better deal back through Hulu than CR, although we never really see numbers. That and I don't have to see CR's rediculous meme branding all over the place.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I'll probably go watch some Shuffle and Moonphase (been thinking of getting them on DVD, since I love moe shows).

I <3 Hulu. I watch The Daily Show and Colbert Report like every day on it.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
it's true shikabane hime is subbed, but I'm pretty sure anything licensed is dubbed, so, at least for me, it's pretty worthless. Not to mention I own most of these titles anyway, so maybe only dubbed isn't bad, since I don't feel as if I completely wasted my money buying the dvds anyway. That and hulu and joost are pretty bad ( in terms of operation ) under the linux operating system.

Funimation, get a hint and do what Viz is doing on Joost and Hulu : SUBBED EVERYTHING! Anyone watching online are only watching subtitled stuff anyway, not dubbed!
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
it's true shikabane hime is subbed, but I'm pretty sure anything licensed is dubbed, so, at least for me, it's pretty worthless. Not to mention I own most of these titles anyway, so maybe only dubbed isn't bad, since I don't feel as if I completely wasted my money buying the dvds anyway. That and hulu and joost are pretty bad ( in terms of operation ) under the linux operating system.

Funimation, get a hint and do what Viz is doing on Joost and Hulu : SUBBED EVERYTHING! Anyone watching online are only watching subtitled stuff anyway, not dubbed!

Some bold statements. A lot of what is on Hulu is subbed including Naruto and Bleach (which for some reason still seems to surprise people). When asked about dub vs sub and why they chose which, a rep from Hulu emailed me and told me "in time they hope to run both subs and dubs. Right now for many shows a certain cartoon themed network *cough* has the rights to some dub properties." In essence, they said be patient, and they are trying to please everyone.

That said, you seem pretty confused about who is watching what. I can't give you numbers or anything, but I am sure like myself, many people out there are watching dubs online. I prefer dubs, but don't entirely mind subs. I watch anime on Hulu and Toonami Jetstream all the time. Being dubbed does not ruin anything for me (outside of some particularly horrible dubs, such as Blue Dragon. Didn't like it.). Keep in mind, if they only put up subs, way less people would watch. Most people will not read when watching TV. Most watch TV to avoid reading in the first place. I'd love to see some sub vs dub numbers when they finally have some shows running in both forms.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Notably, Hulu is running Gainax's Shikabane Hime episodes just three weeks after their Japanese broadcasts.

And this is an accomplishment? Fansubbers can and have been doing shows 0 days, so this is impressing no one, espescially since the visual and audio quality will obviously be lower. More like, be glad FUNi is showing it all since they're trying to muscle their way around, and I'm convinced they only licensed the show because it was Gainax. Well, guess what FUNi, not every Gainax show is good.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
Notably, Hulu is running Gainax's Shikabane Hime episodes just three weeks after their Japanese broadcasts.

And this is an accomplishment? Fansubbers can and have been doing shows 0 days, so this is impressing no one

FUNi took the extra step of asking Gainax's permission before doing this show. Unless something changed, the 0-day fansubbers can't take and haven't been taking this extra step.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
None of these titles really interest me (outside of Shikabane Hime, which I was surprised to find on there a few days ago), though I've been meaning to check out Moonphase...which I don't remember seeing. I'll probably check again now that I know it's supposed to be there. Same with the the 2003 Astro Boy. At any rate, I wish that these were on CR instead. I think the quality is better and Hulu videos are always jittery for me. The can be completely buffered and they'll just randomly stop and end up skipping ahead 5-10 seconds every couple of minutes. Maybe I just have bad luck?

Edit: Despite my complaints, wasn't Basilisk supposed to be put on Hulu? Hope they do.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
Moonphase...which I don't remember seeing. I'll probably check again now that I know it's supposed to be there. ?

Heads up: It's under "Moon Phase," not "Moonphase" (you have to search for it with the space).

abstract-alchemist wrote:
That and hulu and joost are pretty bad ( in terms of operation ) under the linux operating system.

It's odd you say that, I'm using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and Hulu's always worked perfectly fine for me (and Fiesty Fawn is an outdated build now, you'd think it'd be even less likely to work). What distro of linux do you use?
Deliverator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Well,if they're gonna do this,than,I'd much rather it be on CR. I really love that h.264 quality and huge screen.

CR, though there is "high quality" and "h.264" options, they aren't really high quality. They are downsized and re-encoded.

Now Hulu is better imo. Thanks to the wonders 10-30 second commercials, Hulu is able to stream you full screened goodness at a 360p to 480p picture. Not as good as the HD pictures you can get downloading directly from fansubbers who encode at higher resolutions, but this is the best stream quality on the net.

Also as far as I know, the only subtitled funi on hulu, is Shikabane. I tried checking out a couple others, such as Peach Girl, and it was horrendously dubbed =(
Deliverator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:

And this is an accomplishment? Fansubbers can and have been doing shows 0 days, so this is impressing no one, espescially since the visual and audio quality will obviously be lower. More like, be glad FUNi is showing it all since they're trying to muscle their way around, and I'm convinced they only licensed the show because it was Gainax. Well, guess what FUNi, not every Gainax show is good.

Hi, you must be new to the world. Allow me to explain something, most companies, especially companies who, in the past, have been very protective over their licensed properties, usually don't put said properties up on the internet for free viewing.

Usually after licensing an anime, companies usually send out a C&D saying "drop it, or be sued". This time around, they have said "drop it and put your focus on another title, we will sub this for the fans ourselves". That is quite a positive turn around from the days of old.

And also they are a company and not just a group of fans doing this for fun. Right now you are thinking 3 weeks an episode ?!? This doesn't mean they release 1 episode, and 3 weeks later release another. What's going on here, is they are releasing episode 1, 3 weeks after the initial japan air, episode 2, 3 weeks after the iniital air, so on so forth.

This means that we are still getting an episode a week from funimation, they are just 3 weeks behind the initial airing in japan. So I consider this pretty quick, when most fansubbers fall behind immensely towards the end of a 26+ episode series.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Funimation did Mushi-Shi on Hulu and it's dubbed. I want them to finish the series. I've not seen the last eight episodes. I wish these fansub worshipers would just shut up and go away. Here's the thing you subtards, and I mean the idiotic ones who say if you're not watching it subbed you're not a "true fan", Hulu is 100% legal, unlike a lot of fansubbers who download and don't buy it, Hulu helps the creators of these shows get profit. You guys can leech away, but when anime dies in the US and Japanese companies say, "It's time to not send anymore stuff to the US, they're stealing it all." We'll blame you moochers for it.

And by the way, I have nothing against official subs, just stupid fansubs. But I like dubs 'cause I like English, and if the dub is bad, I won't watch it.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
DFBTG wrote:
Moonphase...which I don't remember seeing. I'll probably check again now that I know it's supposed to be there. ?

Heads up: It's under "Moon Phase," not "Moonphase" (you have to search for it with the space).

Ah, that made the difference, thank you. Though I'm not entirely sure why it didn't show when I went 'channels-anime-show'. It's there now, but wasn't a few days back. Also, isn't Moonphase 26 episodes? If so, I do hope they put up the rest. Unless it's there and I'm blind or am having troubles with it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2