• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo to Stream Naruto via Crunchyroll Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
interestedno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quote
This is definitely news to me! Surprised Very Happy Well, I probably will watch it to see how the subs turn out, quality, etc....especially because of the future streams on the official Naruto site by Viz.

Last edited by interestedno on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:40 am Reply with quote
Oh wow... First Gonzo, then Toei, now TV Tokyo. Wonder how many more Japanese companies will be on board for this...
crilix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
Does this mean ANN wasn't invited to the party? :cry:
souleater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
1 hour after japanese broadcast?? Now THAT's impressive! Despite all the things that get said about Crunchyroll on here, you have to give them major kudos for pulling this one off. TV Tokyo and Naruto is an enormous feather in their cap
Eric10301

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quote
I'm very interested in seeing the quality they put out. If I'm not mistaken a certain fansub group said they would quit subbing Naruto if the producers pulled off something like this and it was good quality.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll will then provide free Internet streaming of the episodes seven days after the paid subscribers see them.

You just know the casual fans will wait for that week later, instead of paying for it. I'm not sure how you can make money that way, to be honest...Crunchyroll should provide more of an incentive for the people willing to pay directly-like being able to burn that stuff directly to your CD or iPOD.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Crunchyroll will then provide free Internet streaming of the episodes seven days after the paid subscribers see them.

You just know the casual fans will wait for that week later, instead of paying for it. I'm not sure how you can make money that way, to be honest...Crunchyroll should provide more of an incentive for the people willing to pay directly-like being able to burn that stuff directly to your CD or iPOD.

If it's cheap, then how many folks do you know who watch fansubs alone? Folks like to speak about their shows on the forums if you're a fansubber, and that means you need access to when folks get access. If you had to pay a monthly fee of 10 dollars a month, Naruto is popular enough to pull it off.

Although, I don't think folks should pay for streamed videos on their site, but when smaller anime companies start doing it for their shows, we might actually see a drop in fansubbers. Why fansub if the company is doing it for free or cheap?
Dahling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
Even if it's only ten bucks a month, that's about 2.25 an episode. To the dedicated (and not broke) fan that's probably fine, it may even be alot lower!

Yeah, just felt like putting it out htere. (Five in the morning it TOO EARLY. Especially when someone stays up all night to get there....)
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Update: BB Watch reports that TV Tokyo will distribute five anime series, including Naruto and Gintama, worldwide on the same day that they broadcast in Japan. ANN has added more background information to this article.

More or this and less of
Quote:
Sorry, this video is not available in your region... Sad

please k thanks.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
Worldwide and faster than ever before? Crunchyroll being reformed entirely and no longer being a piracy network? Well... This can only be a good thing.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
The million dollar question will then be how much of the current "fanbase" will leave the site when CR goes "clean" and purges it's massive illegal video library, thus no longer being the "one stop shop". I can't imagine it being good for traffic as it would mean their content library would be massively reduced, which was what drew in the majority of their current userbases.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
Can I download the episodes? That's what I want to know. I never watch anything streamed because I hate the quality. Even when Gonzo had their episodes for free on crunchyroll I still downloaded them, for that fee that crunchyroll offered, because I dislike streaming. If I can't download the episodes... I just won't talk about that. XP
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:
Can I download the episodes? That's what I want to know. I never watch anything streamed because I hate the quality. Even when Gonzo had their episodes for free on crunchyroll I still downloaded them, for that fee that crunchyroll offered, because I dislike streaming. If I can't download the episodes... I just won't talk about that. XP

They are finally giving you an easy legal option that meets about 99% of the complaints of the fansub users with little-to-no downside, and you really want to keep brazenly pushing them. Goodness. If I were the creator of Naruto, I'd ruin it intentionally, then kill the project. Viz and TV Tokyo are both bending over backwards for the fans. Keep pushing, please. You haven't made Masashi Kishimoto cry yet...
boznia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:
The million dollar question will then be how much of the current "fanbase" will leave the site when CR goes "clean" and purges it's massive illegal video library, thus no longer being the "one stop shop". I can't imagine it being good for traffic as it would mean their content library would be massively reduced, which was what drew in the majority of their current userbases.

This is also what caught my eye out of all this. It'll be...interesting to see how this turns out.
Sceleris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

The linked Japanese page seemed to say that there would be ads on the later, free episodes.

It also seemed to say that it wouldn't be global from the start. Confirm or deny, anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8