• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mezzo Forte - DVD's 18up or 16up

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:45 am Reply with quote
Whats the diff. between the 18up and the 16up one. I dont want to waste 25 bux on the 16up one when ill regret it and want the 18up one. Same thing hapened to me with KITE. :roll:
pez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:01 am Reply with quote
Personally, for me, if there's a difference, I always get the 18 up one. Probably has scenes cut out of the 16up one.
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:02 am Reply with quote
its from the man of KITE and Yellow Star(wich i both liked) so i guess ill have to buy the 18up.
mike3560

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:07 am Reply with quote
What's the deal with the Kite cut/uncut versions? Were they both distributed? Heard conflicting reports.

I haven't see it yet, basically because I wasn't quite sure which version I'd be watching (Rather see the uncut myself)
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:16 am Reply with quote
the cut Kite has major cuts. Mostly SEX but there one scene that they cut that is really important to the MOVIE(OVA) Get the Uncut one. its coming out Jan. on DVD
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:19 am Reply with quote
In case you didn't hear, the CUT version of Kite is the one preferred by the director. He was "forced" to add sex scenes by the Japanese producers. This is not my custom, but for this movie I consider the cut version to be the "real" one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ramza
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:20 am Reply with quote
Kite was originally released in the U.S. with all of its sex scenes edited out. This version was released on both VHS and DVD. Although overdone, these scenes help stress how extremely horrible some of the characters are.

Media Blasters has now gone back and is releasing the "almost uncut" version of Kite. This includes all of the sex scenes except for a few short scenes where one of the characters are underage. This has been released on VHS so far and I believe it's being released on DVD soon.

Kite is actually censored in Japan as well. Due to laws, all nudity below the belt contains mosiac censoring. The "almost uncut" U.S. version does not contain this mosiac censoring.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kite's overrated anyway. And update your site, Ramza!
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:25 am Reply with quote
nice to see you Dan42, everyone misses you at AAW.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:28 am Reply with quote
There is no North American "Director's Cut of Kite."

As Dan mentionned, the director was forced to add the sex scenes into Kite in order to get the funding for the project. And he has stated that he prefers the cut US version to the Uncut Japanese version.

However, the one scene that was left out of the "less cut" US release was a very important scene. Although it contained graphical sex, the one scene was a pivotal turning point in the movie. It features the underage Sawa being raped by her "captor" for the first time.

Kitty (Media Blasters) had the option of editing that one scene to make it legal, they could have cropped the scene only to Show Sawa's face, or something along those lines. But they didn't do that, perhaps it was an issue of quality, the image quality might have been degraded too much by doing so, or perhaps it was an issue of cost & time.

A proper "director's cut" of Kite would have 90% of the sex scenes cut from Kite, but include that 1 scene.
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:29 am Reply with quote
there is also a scene where Oburi is forced to whatch Sawa have sex. oburi has a gun to his head. In the cut one they only show them afterward talking and all sweaty. when i first saw it i knew that they cut out something important.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1