• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GDH to Absorb Its Gonzo Subsidiary, Adopt Gonzo's Name

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is a big development. It helps to explain all those layoffs earlier. Hopefully, this will help make Gonzo a better and stronger company in general and anime producer in specific.

Not that I've ever had many issues with their series that I've seen but anything that might encourage better anime is always good. (Though I could see this eventually leading to a complete end to anime production too. Hope that won't happen.)
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope they can stay in business.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
If this is true, we had nothing to worry about; still sucks for the 100 jobless people, but at least the studio will survive.

dear GOD I hope that date doesn't mean this is just one big "HA HA FOOLED YOU" to the industry
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I see this as an necessary step for them to take. It's painful for any business to reduce itself like GDH did, now back to just plain old Gonzo. But this was due to partially the fact that they never should be as big as they were, when the market for anime medias aren't really there to begin with in the first place. They inflated their production quantity, thus expanded to the size that they were, and setup a parent company GDH to finance and manage themselves. These were all simply to lure potential investors into sponsoring them for making their own anime, IMO.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Let's see if they can complete Druaga properly now. Druaga will be their first test considering how bad Gonzo is known for poor conclusions. I also wonder what will happen to their spring shows now.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Let's see if they can complete Druaga properly now. Druaga will be their first test considering how bad Gonzo is known for poor conclusions. I also wonder what will happen to their spring shows now.

Granted, I'm a Gonzo fan, but of all the Gonzo anime I own, Speed Grapher is the only one with a satisfying ending. I've not seen Druaga, but they have no excuse for a bad ending on intellectual property!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Well, you can say the ending to season 1 left you enraged and confused.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel this is somehow connected to the increasingly concerning state of the industry with piracy. I wonder how they managed financially with releasing legitimate same day release subs.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
wow i just hope its for the better
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Huh? So does this mean they just fired the 100 crappy animators and picked up another group of them or is this more for commercial posturing then anything?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't know how you can stand eating grapes that are so sour...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
dear GOD I hope that date doesn't mean this is just one big "HA HA FOOLED YOU" to the industry

I don't think they really celebrate April Fool's Day in Japan... As the article says, it's the start of the fiscal year (as well as the academic one).

JairStout wrote:
Granted, I'm a Gonzo fan, but of all the Gonzo anime I own, Speed Grapher is the only one with a satisfying ending.

I call it "Gonzo syndrome": the need to see a series to its completion before buying it after having seen too many series start out awesome and then end in disappointment. Sure, that's not true of all of them, but it's happened often enough, ya know?

(Not bashing GONZO here, my personal favorite anime of all time is Gankutsuou, and I've liked a lot of their stuff)

Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I feel this is somehow connected to the increasingly concerning state of the industry with piracy. I wonder how they managed financially with releasing legitimate same day release subs.

I'd think that same-day subbed releases would help them, not hurt them. It gives people an option for previewing anime without having to resort to fansubs (which people often irresponsibly use as alternatives to actually purchasing things). I've really appreciated it, and I hope the trend continues.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
If they aren't downsizing then the only reason I can think of for them to fire the 100 staff is performance issues. Thats why I was asking for clarification
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Of all the talk from me of wanting the anime industry burned to the ground so individuals and groups with REAL talent can rise from the ashes like a phoenix; I would also like for GONZO to survive.

Just so they can gravitate towards making OWNAGE titles orz like Black Cat and Strike Witches; whilst gravitating away from making strictly-otaku, strictly-moe generic garbage like Rosaria+Vampire and Linebarrels of Iron.

It'll also help when they do less "hurts when it hits home" titles like Welcome To NHK.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
If they aren't downsizing then the only reason I can think of for them to fire the 100 staff is performance issues. Thats why I was asking for clarification

In that case, you could have avoided using the word "crappy," now couldn't you?

I don't think any of us are privy to the inner workings of GDH/GONZO's marketing plans, but I hope this restructuring works out well, otherwise a lot of people will have lost their jobs for nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2