• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Reports Narrower 1st Quarter Losses

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Well at this rate it will still be 5 years before they run out of money. Last years rate it would have been three.

I know they are putting all of there hopes behind Chaotic, but I have yet to see an advertisement for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well at this rate it will still be 5 years before they run out of money. Last years rate it would have been three.

I know they are putting all of there hopes behind Chaotic, but I have yet to see an advertisement for it.

Chaotic should get a lot more exposure this summer, since it's being stripped on Cartoon Network. Plus it was just launched in most major European countries.

This seems to be a turning point for 4Kids. 4Kids' stock price has jumped up nearly 10% today, so investors seemed pleased by this report.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yu-gi-oh 5d's is going to be shown? That show is downright violent...

Anyway, I'm not understanding how they're still making money on Shaman King. Can someone explain that? They aren't releasing dvds nor is it on tv (as far as I know).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

It's pretty popular among some of the kids where I am.

britannicamoore wrote:

Anyway, I'm not understanding how they're still making money on Shaman King. Can someone explain that? They aren't releasing dvds nor is it on tv (as far as I know).

They have the rights to the only English-language version of Shaman King. Just because it isn't currently active in the U.S. doesn't mean it isn't in other English-speaking countries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

From what I've seen (which is the first 26 episodes), it's dark...but not really violent. This is the most violent thing I've seen in the show (which 4Kids kept in surprisingly):
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

From what I've seen (which is the first 26 episodes), it's dark...but not really violent. This is the most violent thing I've seen in the show (which 4Kids kept in surprisingly):

It wouldn't surpise me if 4Kids keeps a lot of stuff in, considering they're probably funding it, like the later tamer eps of Ultimate Muscle, or other YuGiOh spinoffs they've done, like the direct to video movies.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Wow, 5D's is dark AND 4kids kept it in? I might just have to check it out now. I just assumed the worst for Yugioh spinoffs after watching GX.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate 4kids... the long it exists means more comedy for me... I mean for my novel. 4kids is often the butt of many jokes for the comic relief character in my novel (a crazy pirate obsessed Pastafarian)... since I have yet to find publisher I want it to long as possible. So I would like to see 4Kids die... just a very slow painful death until my novel get published .

Oh and in case you were wondering a Pastafarian is someone who worships the flying spaghetti monster.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I hate for kids a lot simply for that fact that they censor things to much and change the names, but I don't think they need to lose money. Oh well, I guess most kids now are moving to the likes of Naruto and the others. Yu-Gi-Oh! shouldn't have even lasted this long in my opinion.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
normally when company is bleeding money for years, they go out of business or get rid of their CEO...

none has happened yet...

WTF?!?!???!?!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
IisamonkeynamedIdaho

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
As long as 4Kids is losing money,I'm happy.
Anime catgrin
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
As much as I hate 4kids... the long it exists means more comedy for me... I mean for my novel. 4kids is often the butt of many jokes for the comic relief character in my novel (a crazy pirate obsessed Pastafarian)... since I have yet to find publisher I want it to long as possible. So I would like to see 4Kids die... just a very slow painful death until my novel get published .

Oh and in case you were wondering a Pastafarian is someone who worships the flying spaghetti monster.

I don't mean to threadjack, but I'm really curious to know what your novel is about (other than a crazy pirate-obsessed Pastafarian who hates 4Kids).
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

I don't mean to threadjack, but I'm really curious to know what your novel is about (other than a crazy pirate-obsessed Pastafarian who hates 4Kids).

I'd rather not go into detail but it's a modern day fantasy about a battle between good versus evil, it focuses on a girl named Kari fighting a Prue evil boy named Damien along with the help of her friend (one of whom is said crazy pirate obsessed Pastafarian). It has a ton of pop culture references... I'm currently working on the sequel and plan to try to get the two published at the same time...

Now to get back on topic... to paraphrase Frankenstein from SNL: 4kids BAD!
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:

Katane

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
IisamonkeynamedIdaho wrote:
As long as 4Kids is losing money,I'm happy.
Anime catgrin

That ain't right at all. I'm no 4Kids fan myself at the same time no company deserve to go under especially during these hard economic times even though this is just a first quarter loss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2