• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2009 - Bandai Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Yamamoto-san was a lot more cool and laidback than expected...

A lot more fun to hear answer questions as well.

And I got a free Kannagi DVD. Very Happy
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

Lucky! But I don't mind having to pay for mine still Smile How were those 'confessions'? I heard someone confessed they eloped or something? Shocked
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Lucky! But I don't mind having to pay for mine still Smile How were those 'confessions'? I heard someone confessed they eloped or something? Shocked

Japanator.com has some of the confessions. Here is the link to the page with them.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
Mistypearl wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Japanator.com has some of the confessions. Here is the link to the page with them.

Thanks for the link, that's where I first saw them, but I forgot where so I couldn't go back and confirm what I thought I had heard/read. I thought it was wierd people would say stuff like this for no reason just for the spirit or something like that, but then I re-read it and saw the "for free tee shirts" part. Haha, I guess I would confess for something free as well.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...with its release, for the first time ever, there is effectively no window whatsoever between when a new title is announced as being licensed, and when it can be bought.
Unless you want a dub. Then the window would be big enough to view all of the Big Bang in the universe. Wink
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
Well they could still seemingly do a rapid release with a dub. You have to remember that they do not need to announce right away that they have licensed something. They could acquire the license never announce it and then dub it. Once the dub was done they could announce it and release it right away.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Well they could still seemingly do a rapid release with a dub. You have to remember that they do not need to announce right away that they have licensed something. They could acquire the license never announce it and then dub it. Once the dub was done they could announce it and release it right away.
You're right, they could, but they won't. They exhausted themselves just getting the sub simul-released to try and beat the fansubs again. They forgot that Europe is a bigger continent than Korea, but they know what they're doing, don't they? Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

It is much more than just perception. The significant part of these kinds of announcements is not really the 0-day release but the fact that the US DVD release followed right behind the Japanese release which is practically unheard of for titles which aren't coproduced.

A 0-day release for Kannagi would hardly be substantial if it were 2 years from now for example.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
No new license announcements? o_O Not that I'm complaining, but...surprising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
No new license announcements? o_O Not that I'm complaining, but...surprising.

Their panel at Comic-con is Thursday. They might have an announcement then.
However, the companies seem to be moving into just releasing statements whenever.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

You're right, they could, but they won't. They exhausted themselves just getting the sub simul-released to try and beat the fansubs again. They forgot that Europe is a bigger continent than Korea, but they know what they're doing, don't they? :lol:

I agree with Mohawk52 on this one. Techinically speaking Bandai could release Kannagi with a English audio, but I am fairly certain they won't.

Bandai is trying to elminate costs and what that translates into less extra's and less chance of some series having a English audio.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai is trying to elminate costs and what that translates into less extra's and less chance of some series having a English audio.

More like less chance of most series. The majority of their recent licenses are sub-only, and now they're even resorting to removing a dub from properties that have had one in the past. Bandai may as well be Nozomi, by this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
loplop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Bandai moving to a sub-only business model in the US. Quicker releases & better pricing. I've never been a fan of dubs anyways, I don't like paying for something I will never use.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:

More like less chance of most series. The majority of their recent licenses are sub-only, and now they're even resorting to removing a dub from properties that have had one in the past. Bandai may as well be Nozomi, by this point.

Whine much?
Where I'm going this weekend all the anime will be played in Japanese. Last year or maybe it was the year before some mother wandered in with her kids & raised hell trying to bully the projectionist into switching to the English dub.
There are still a fair amount of fans who find a dub "ruins" the title.

Not to mention, back when I first started going to Comic-con one of the titles I bought was Haunted Junction which was a Bandai sub-only release. A couple years ago I picked up Eat-Man which only had dubs thru the first couple eps & then was sub-only.
Back in the days of VHS one had to make a choice between sub or dub or buy both versions
Not to mention DUB ONLY titles from Bandai like SD Gundam & DICE.

So whine & cry, but dubbing adds thousands of dollars to the cost of a release, but doesn't necessarily translate into a proportional amount of sales, so why should they bother on any but titles that have a shot of airing on tv?
There are a lot of titles I'd love to get & I wouldn't care if they were sub-only
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
and now they're even resorting to removing a dub from properties that have had one in the past.

Wait, what? Which titles have they done that with?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4