• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name reading assistance

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know "島西佐誉太" is supposed to be read? They are on the credits for episode 4 of Natsume Yuujinchou for storyboards. I can't figure out how it should be read (Shinanishi Sayota?), I can't find any variation of the kanji in our database and the only references I can find on the web are storyboard credits for Eyeshield 21 but with no reading given.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't read that name either. While there are people with family name Shimanishi, the proposed "Sayota" is not even a valid given name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm also stuck on 祝浩二.

It can be read as Iwai Kouji and we have a Koji Iwai, but his Kanji is definitely 祝浩司 - and to make things more complicated they are both credited for 作画監督協力 / 作画監督補佐 on Kiddy Grade. I can't find any other credits for them and it is possible that it is just a typo, but if not - what should I enter 祝浩二 as?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Another one I'm stuck on:

市川仁

They did the logo design for Kiddy Girl-and (and also others like Haruhi and Ga-rei according to google results) but I can't find much on them or their company (sun graphic) and 仁 has so many possible reading it is silly.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
New problem:

"藤 千" was a key animator on KIDDY GiRL-AND episode 5. Since the name has only two kanji searching for other examples of their work has proven fruitless and since both kanji have multiple readings I'm not sure what to enter them as or if they have already been entered without Kanji (which I'm finding a lot of - especially annoying when the cited sources are in Japanese so whoever entered the data must have known the kanji and how to read it)

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Another one I'm stuck on:

市川仁

They did the logo design for Kiddy Girl-and (and also others like Haruhi and Ga-rei according to google results) but I can't find much on them or their company (sun graphic) and 仁 has so many possible reading it is silly.

Someone else has entered them as "Jin Ichikawa".
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Now onto key animators for KG-A #7

広実 愛

Only two choices for family name (Hiromi or Hirozane) but an insane number for the given name and I didn't want to cop out and enter her as Ai without some feedback.
skyechan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I am also in need of some name reading assistance.

Occasionally in the Detective Conan staff listing for an episode the name "風原朽" appears usually for screenplay and storyboard work.

I'm assuming the family name is "風原" and is read "Kazehara", but how on Earth is "朽" meant to be read? "Kuchi"? "Kuchiru"?

I have a hunch this name might be a pseudonym for someone's actual name, but no idea how to read the last kanji.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
This one is really peculiar:

蔡伯崙

蔡 is a valid surname but I cant make head not tail of the rest - Hakuron?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
This one is really peculiar:

蔡伯崙

蔡 is a valid surname but I can't make head not tail of the rest - Hakuron?

Wait a second, this is a Chinese name, not a Japanese one. A Google search tells me that he is a graduate of NCKU, now working at T2 Studio. He had participated in Bleach movies, Keroro, new NGE, and CANAAN.

The family name should be Tsai, but I don't know howhe spells his given name (Wade–Giles, Tongyong Pinyin, or Hanyu Pinyin). I'll see if I can find a contact at NCKU ANIMAD...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Wait a second, this is a Chinese name, not a Japanese one. A Google search tells me that he is a graduate of NCKU, now working at T2 Studio.

That's the guy, as he was credited under T2 and I've seen him credits for Canaan etc. also. If it helps any the name was spaced out "蔡 伯 崙" in the credits, but I know absolutely nothing about Chinese names unfortunately.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this one is a company or a person:
寿門堂

They did 2nd key animation for Kiddy GiRL-and episode 14 and the 2nd Fairy Tail OP.

For the former they are listed with the companies, not the individuals and as you can see, normally people with only three Kanji have a space between the family and given names and this doesn't.
For the latter, it is written above Marina Satō as the only two names for that role which could mean they are two people, or that she was working for the company 寿門堂.

If you take the Kanji together it seems to come out as Jumondō. Jumon is a valid name apparently, but as a given name only.

--EDIT--

also in the KG-a episode 15 credits:

Again down with the companies listed for 2nd key animation, but the last on the list this time.

--edit--

episode 16 also - definitely a company. Still have no clue how to pronounce it. There's brief mention on 2ch here:
http://changi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/iga/1240425846/l50
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of KIDDY GiRL-AND episode 16.. got another (company?) name I'm having trouble with:

靑画舎

Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Back to persons again: 鈴木美音織
Surname is Suzuki but the given name is giving my gyp. There's someone on Yahoo using the name and they have Miotoori in their URL.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The DP for the .hack//GU Trilogy movie is "二塚 万佳" and while there's a few possibilities for the family name, I am really struggling with the given name.
386sky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Another person you are having trouble within Erementar Gerad English ending:

井上和已 (Hanja to Korean letters reading is named 정상화이)

Ocean Studios entered this as Kazumi Inoe, but Kazumi Inoue is the best.

Edit: Anime News Network will slow down on August 09, 2011, but when you try to ping it, it says Request timed out. You're unable to find the Sony Vegas project files to check with. The incorrect PHP BB forum version was selected as well.

Last edited by 386sky on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8