• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
LordofNoe wrote:

B-503_MIA wrote:
spoiler[A second Memento Mori??? There can't be any more of them, can there? The attack Setsuna used to take it down was pretty slick though... Did another Innovator already bite the dust too? ]]

That's what I'd like to know. Given how they performed early on, I was expecting a lot more from them. I'm also wondering if spoiler[the plan to capture an Innovator] would really be that much trouble, given what the 00 Raizer can do.

The problem, I think, is that the series is suffering character overload. They left nearly everyone's fate up in the air at the first season's end, then bucked the long Gundam tradition by having most of them turn up alive after all in Season 2. Plus they introduced more characters, and the narrative just doesn't have room for them all. So everything gets watered down- Graham and Ali don't seem to being doing anything of significance and have just been showing up semi-randomly to harass the heroes. Nene hasn't been in a single fight all season and is beginning to look like baggage for the story. Lyle's spoiler[romance with Anew] was pulled out of thin air. Given all the storylines the writers have to keep in the air, the Innovators being reduced to minibosses was probably inevitable- there are a bunch of them and as the bad guys they have to all be dead or reformed somehow by the end of the series. I still enjoy the storylines they are managing to pull off, but things would be going a lot smoother if they had had the guts to keep the gravediggers in business.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Bellos, it's anime. Even when a good series ends or about to end , there still will be unresolved plot lines and details.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
The problem, I think, is that the series is suffering character overload. They left nearly everyone's fate up in the air at the first season's end, then bucked the long Gundam tradition by having most of them turn up alive after all in Season 2. Plus they introduced more characters, and the narrative just doesn't have room for them all. So everything gets watered down- Graham and Ali don't seem to being doing anything of significance and have just been showing up semi-randomly to harass the heroes. Nene hasn't been in a single fight all season and is beginning to look like baggage for the story. Lyle's spoiler[romance with Anew] was pulled out of thin air. Given all the storylines the writers have to keep in the air, the Innovators being reduced to minibosses was probably inevitable- there are a bunch of them and as the bad guys they have to all be dead or reformed somehow by the end of the series. I still enjoy the storylines they are managing to pull off, but things would be going a lot smoother if they had had the guts to keep the gravediggers in business.

That's true, but you could argue that the original Gundam spoiler[didn't off that many "important" characters, at least among the "good guys". The White Base lost who, Ryu & Sleggar Law?? That's not too bad... The majority of those White Base survivors also managed to make it through all of Zeta (obviously, minus Katz).]

Back to tonight's 00... Well, our little spoiler[sleeper agent awoke from her slumber & raised all sorts of havoc, I thought it was interesting that Lockon seemed on to her being an Innovator even before she was "activated". I really liked Setsuna & Lockon's staged action that resulted in getting Mileina freed - "You didn't have to hit me!".]

Bellos, you were right on with your thoughts on Lockonspoiler[ & Anew's relationship (out of thin air) & that air was already sucked out after 2 episodes?!? Now, that leaves us with 4 of the original Innovators left (5 if you count Tieiria)? Revive really is an arrogant @$$ & I wish he would've gotten blown up instead of Anew, maybe they could've then fleshed out the Anew/Lockon relationship a bit more & it wouldn't have seemed so flash-in-the-pan?]

Did we miss spoiler[Nena shooting down Wang & Hong due to the Syfy edits, or did I just miss it??? I read the wiki on tonight's 2 episodes after I watched them & I don't remember that happening.]

Marie/Soma's dub voice is much better when she's angry...

5 episodes left, where did that time go? Been an enjoyable ride though...
garland5000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
[Mod Edit: Providing links to illegal streams and downloads is a violation of the rules. - Keonyn]
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Yea, B-503, spoiler[Nena shooting down Wang & Hong due to the Syfy edits, or did I just miss it??? I read the wiki on tonight's 2 episodes after I watched them & I don't remember that happening] was edited out because of SyFy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Now we wait for penguintruth to put on his victory parade. He had told us all that SyFy was screwing this show over; now he has been vindicated. All hail the prophet.

I bag throwing water balloons at people. That happens at parades, doesn't it?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Now we wait for penguintruth to put on his victory parade. He had told us all that SyFy was screwing this show over; now he has been vindicated. All hail the prophet.

Glad to see even the guy who railed on Bandai for putting the wrong picture on their website is sick of his B.S.. Maybe he'll take the hint now?

Anyway, this is a slip-up, but I honestly think it's less serious than some believe. None of the involved characters has done anything of significance this season except stand around waiting for something to do. This is Benvolio dropping out of sight when the bloodshed starts, nothing more.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Glad to see even the guy who railed on Bandai for putting the wrong picture on their website is sick of his B.S.. Maybe he'll take the hint now?

Wait, why did you quote me and then talk about Bandai getting the 00 Gundam and Exia confused? I don't follow.

For the record, I wasn't poking fun of penguintruth, I was rubbing the fact that he was right in everyone's faces.

BellosTheMighty wrote:
Anyway, this is a slip-up, but I honestly think it's less serious than some believe. None of the involved characters has done anything of significance this season except stand around waiting for something to do. This is Benvolio dropping out of sight when the bloodshed starts, nothing more.

No, it's spoiler[two characters being killed off and we don't see their deaths.] Quite a bit more important, if only to answer people's questions of spoiler["What happened to Wang?.] Besides, spoiler[she was such an awful character (in more ways than one) it was a real delight to watch her die.] You don't know what you missed, you poor things.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

BellosTheMighty wrote:

No, it's spoiler[two characters being killed off and we don't see their deaths.]

Like the Benvolio example. Tertiary character, not terribly important, just shuffled aside without mention once he has nothing left to contribute. Ignored by the audience because there's important stuff going on right now with characters that still matter.

Quote:
Quite a bit more important, if only to answer people's questions of spoiler["What happened to Wang?.] Besides, spoiler[she was such an awful character (in more ways than one) it was a real delight to watch her die.] You don't know what you missed, you poor things.

They know exactly what they missed, because they're reading your spoilers. Seriously. You think those black bars actually protect anything? It's forbidden fruit, man, you look at it for a bit and then decide, yes, you really, really DO want to know what's behind there.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Man! The commercial placement, especially during ep. 21, really sucked tonight! It almost seems like they did it on purpose... I know, probably not.

"Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. It is very cold in space."
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Man! The commercial placement, especially during ep. 21, really sucked tonight! It almost seems like they did it on purpose... I know, probably not.

"Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. It is very cold in space."

True, true... Kinda sucks the momentum out of the events that were happening, doesn't it?

I know I can't be the only one that geeked out spoiler[when Kati Mannequin (& Colasour the Indestructible Laughing) showed up to save the day, her speech to Goodman & the Ahhhh-Laws rocked & showed her convictions...]

Louise's "big payoff"spoiler[ in taking out Nena Trinity came off kind of empty, but it seems as if that's what the show's creators were aiming for. Showing the folly of revenge, I guess...]

I wonder if Syfy is going to show the final three episodes next week instead of the normal two?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

No, it's spoiler[two characters being killed off and we don't see their deaths.] Quite a bit more important, if only to answer people's questions of spoiler["What happened to Wang?.] Besides, spoiler[she was such an awful character (in more ways than one) it was a real delight to watch her die.] You don't know what you missed, you poor things.

Yeah, umm... about that...

Well, hold that thought for now. First, the (reasonably) good: It looks like we're finally getting closure to some plotlines, and some good fights too. I can't help but feel that it's all kind of rushed, though. spoiler[Nena can't get a good fight scene even when she dies, instead she just becomes a victim of mech-on-mech brutality. Mind you, it was well deserved given her sudden backslide into Psycho Bitch territory. Not to mention the vast backlog of bad karma from season 1. It's also appropriate since her career as a mech pilot was built on killing off people weaker than her.] Other things seem thrown in for no reason- like the Feldt-Setsuna Ship Tease, Andrei sitting around being useless in the big Ep. 21 dustup, getting Graham's backstory NOW, and Patrick... well, Patrick, period. Seriously, what has he done since getting his butt kicked by Setsuna way back in episode 1? Pretty much nothing- he provides lame comic relief and had a romantic subplot that was more or less ignored. But I'm beating the "too many characters horse" pretty badly now, aren't I?

Probably the most interesting thing in these past two episodes was spoiler[Louise having a nervous breakdown after killing Nena. Two things came to mind. The first, a quote from Mark Twain: "[Revenge] is all in the anticipation; the thing itself is a pain, not a pleasure." The second is a bit more subtle. In the lead-up to the fight they seemed to be protraying Nena as a shadow figure to Louise. Since they were coming from the same basic motivation, killing Nena would essentially be Louise killing herself. Hence she goes over the edge and is next seen curled up in a fetal position. Unfortunately, they botched the execution. They threw it in without any buildup, essentially pulling a reason for Louise to break down out of a hat, so that it doesn't make any sense. The scene then boils down to "Nena gets her commupence and Louise finds out it ain't worth it.] Disappointing, but the battles and broader strokes of the plot make for an entertaining pair of episodes anyway.

Back to "Yeah, umm... about that...":

You know, I couldn't help but notice that spoiler[These two characters show up in episode 21 very much alive, and get killed therein in the same way as people had started to rail on SyFy/Bandai for cutting out in the previous episode.] In other words, the unkindest cut never happened, and me and dtm42 have both made fools of ourselves because someone didn't bother to check their sources and wound up spreading volatile disinformation.

Agent Gibbs?

Thank you, good sir.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
I actually watched again tonight. Voices were as bad as ever, save for a few exceptions.

spoiler[People are going to be might surprised at the beginning of the next episode when Regene is standing over a shot-in-the-head Ribbons, since they skipped the scene where Regene shoots him. But like Wang, it doesn't take, anyway. Still a great scene, though.]

Watching it again, though, stirred up some of the old disappointments with season 2, though it's still a lot better than some folks gave it credit. It just had way too many characters and tried to do too much with them. Mizushima probably figured he could handle another large cast, since he did fairly well with the FMA cast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Back to "Yeah, umm... about that...":

You know, I couldn't help but notice that spoiler[These two characters show up in episode 21 very much alive, and get killed therein in the same way as people had started to rail on SyFy/Bandai for cutting out in the previous episode.] In other words, the unkindest cut never happened, and me and dtm42 have both made fools of ourselves because someone didn't bother to check their sources and wound up spreading volatile disinformation.

To be specific in regards to Wang & Hong, my original post stated that we missed them spoiler[being shot down by Nena. I guess I could've been a little more concise in stating that we missed Nena shooting down their ship & not them in person. ]We got to see the end results of that in last night's episodes Wink
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! I think they must've spent half of their animation budget on tonight's episodes!

There were a few surprises tonight. Especially a certain duel. In fact, I was expecting someone else to do in the loser of said duel. I guess there's just one episode left. I'm kinda bummed about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 20