• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Comic Party: Revolution DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:57 am Reply with quote
Considering how much I liked the first series, this is really too bad.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 am Reply with quote
I didn't care for the dub that much since different VA's were used, but I did get some enjoyment out of this series. While it is not as good as Comic Party I still found it to fun to watch, but it is the weaker of the 2 shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
I made the mistake of ordering both Comic Party and Comic Party: Revolution earlier in the year when I was still very, very new to anime (TRSI had them cheap). I watched the first 10 minutes of Comic Party and that alone was enough to convince me I had a stinker on my hands - never mind what Revolution may be. The truly sad part is that I'll have to follow up my waste of money with a waste of my time, because I've got this OCD thing that doesn't allow me to sell crappy series until I've actually watched them. Ugh.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first series--more for its "insider's" view of the creation process of a comic than anything funny. It is a nice show for what it is, but certainly more for the niche market. I have heard nothing good about Revolution, so haven't bothered to pick it up yet. Once it gets uber-cheap (I suspect this FUNI release will hit the $10 used price) I'll probably score a copy to nestle next to my copy of the first series. But I'm definitely not losing any sleep over not having it at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I somewhat disagree with this review.

I loved the original Comic Party was a great show. I loved the characters and the inside look into the Doujin industry(even if it may not be 100% accurate). That said the 2nd season was the weaker of the two but I still did enjoy it to a degree.

For those that don't know Comic Party is based of a Visual Novel of the same name. However the first season wasen't adapted as most vis novels are I.E spilt each girls arc into a few episodes and choice one for the ending. Instead the first season almost entirely focused on Kazuki and his obsession with getting into manga and doujin. So watching the first season you would not even realize the show was based on a visual novel.

The 2nd season on the other hand shifts the focus to the girls instead of Kazuki and the result makes it more bland then the original series was. While I don't think it was bad it was not anywhere near as good as the first season. Other issues like the voice cast being completely different didn't help the matter either.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm right there with TheTheory: I really enjoyed the original Comic Party for its inside-baseball aspects. (I'm sure it helped that I was immersed in making my own comics at the time.) But man, Revolution sounds tedious and terrible, without any of the things that I found enjoyable about the first series. No wonder Right Stuf didn't snag the sequel. Thanks for suffering through this, Carl, so the rest of us don't have to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
For those that don't know Comic Party is based of a Visual Novel of the same name. However the first season wasen't adapted as most vis novels are I.E spilt each girls arc into a few episodes and choice one for the ending. Instead the first season almost entirely focused on Kazuki and his obsession with getting into manga and doujin. So watching the first season you would not even realize the show was based on a visual novel.

The 2nd season on the other hand shifts the focus to the girls instead of Kazuki and the result makes it more bland then the original series was. While I don't think it was bad it was not anywhere near as good as the first season. Other issues like the voice cast being completely different didn't help the matter either.

I can see this. The first was fun in a quiet way & that Taishi was insanely fun. Yet in the second it seems they just went with the stereotypes--we have to have the cart out of control, etc. It was more everyone's schtick rather than actually working on a plot. The first dvd was just a waste, though I did enjoy 2 eps on the 2nd, plus it was fun hearing Kouki Miyata doing one of the obnoxious fans. However Taishi seemed reduced to just about their level. Revolution was really an exercise in putting the characters into their routines in the different scenarios (sports, haunted school, etc. Though I think the Haunted manga was one of the better eps.) The tour of the zine was interesting, though we've seen the routine done better in other titles, it's always fun to see the authors dodging deadlines.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Out of control cart is always Chisa's schtick. In the game, first TV series, and in Revolution.

I rather didn't like Revolution. Only had a handful of decent eps and the rest seemed to focus just on fanservice (like that tennis episode)...
'
I think the only good Revolution had is it had Subaru and Asahi, two characters who weren't in the first TV series (at least I don't think so), and characters I've come to know by reading the various manga for ComiPa.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or that the dialogue, which they preserve with all the fidelity they can muster, is limp and stilted.
So lines like Taishi's "This is a strategy worthy of Utawarerumono, coming soon from ADV!" constitute "preserving with all the fidelity they can muster"? (Original line was "This is a strategy worthy of Hakuoro!") In watching the dub with the subtitles on, I found that they did a lot of subtle rewrites that actually improved things. Nothing major on a Those Who Hunt Elves or Ghost Stories level, but enough to make the dialogue a little better. I liked Revolution okay because I liked the characters from the first series and the chance to spend more time with them, but yeah, it's definitely lacking in story and substance.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
geez Carl, how do your really feel? Twisted Evil

according to Opus the Penguin, the words you are looking for are "Terminally Putrid"

heh, though I am now feeling this strange pull now to go watch an ep just to see it... which is frightening.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree.
I rented the Original Comic Party, and thought it mediocre.
Then, I rented Revolution, and it garnered one of my rare Netflix 2 ratings. By default it made me appreciate the first series more. I picked it (the first series) up for around $1 an episode on sale with all the great Nozomi extras.

Everything the first series had that made it tolerable, was ditched for Revolution. It was truly an example of why in the world did this make it over here. I could see the only people enjoying this would be if it was in your 20 series watched. There is nothing to see here, move along. You might not hate this, but you probably have a backlog of series that is infintely better to spend your time on.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Considering how much I liked the first series, this is really too bad.

Precisely my thoughts exactly. The original series was so inspiring, so enjoyable, I am actually shocked the sequel turned out like this. The first series was realistic, the sucess and failure and the process of being a manga artist.

Being a artist isn't always sunshine and peaceful. Sometimes conflict occurs or the series that one is writing isn't selling well. Comic Party showed that although there might be roadblocks along the way, if one can push past those blocks, then sucess may follow and knowing you are doing your best.

Comic Party is a series that almost anyone relate with and possibily enjoy. I myself really enjoyed the English audio and Liam O' Brian really did a exceptional job.

The sequel didn't have the same voice actors, wasn't really about the process of creating manga and even the character personalities were diffrent. Actually instead of making manga, I felt the focus of the series was to have the main male character date all the female characters.

Needless to say, the original Comic Party was much better than Comic Party: Revolution.
The Other Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Needless to say, the original Comic Party was much better than Comic Party: Revolution.

I agree as well. I enjoyed the first series, and have re-watched it a few times. However, I barely got through Revolution and haven't watched it since. It just didn't do anything for me, and left me feeling disappointed after watching the first series Sad
James N.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think the only good Revolution had is it had Subaru and Asahi, two characters who weren't in the first TV series (at least I don't think so), and characters I've come to know by reading the various manga for ComiPa.

I seem to remember VERY briefly seeing Asahi doing her "idol" routine in front of a group of adoring fans in the original series, but totally without any explaination of exactly who she was, apart from being a "typical" pop singer. As I've never seen the manga, I'm still wondering just who and from where both Subaru and the hulking Onieechan are!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1